Wednesday, December 7, 2022

A trip to the grocery store

I rode the bus to the grocery store and got some more spring mix.  I really like that stuff and it has a long usable life.  I think it is important to get "some" vegetables and a fruit or two every day in addition to whatever else I am doing.  

The store wasn't too busy.  I found guavas, lemons, blackberries (I will only eat fresh or cooked).  I found a nice rump roast with a good deep red tone.  I didn't buy any garbage unless you count the candy I hand out.  

I checked out, had about a 15 minute wait at the bus stop.  Correction, I did buy a 2 ounce bag of potato chips which I ate at the bus stop.  The bus driver said they talk about me back at the barn and some people are curious about my life.  I said I started doing (handing out the candy) after Ron got hurt in the accident.  I usually say he was run over but it took him 20 years to die, which I think is a succinct way of putting it.  He said he really appreciates the candy and I said I like shining a light, then my stop came so I got off.  I did tease him about taking a turn into my subdivision which I think is really funny.   The bus has GPS tattlers on it and will notify dispatch if he goes a foot off route.  We both knew this.  

Now, this guy was old enough to be my son but I could see me with a bus driver one day.  

I am going to take a nap.   

Did that.  

I decided to tell you about 2 work stories I find deeply embarrassing where I feel like I failed, in one case, my employer and  the client; the other, God Himself.  

The first one.  I had just moved to Houston.  I had gotten a job at a small CPA firm that catered to a very high end clientele.  I was used to dealing with "non profit" clients who were as a rule pretty raggedy, just grateful to get service, and seldom caused any trouble.  In this case a woman came in without an appointment RIGHT after my bosses left for lunch.  She asked me my name and then said she was the ex wife of a client of the firm, she had "lost his cell phone number when her cell broke" and needed the number again.  Like a fool, I gave it to her.  The client and my bosses were LIVID.  She was an angry vindictive ex who was very bitter about the young, new wife, her divorce settlement, etc.  It was ghastly.  He had to change his number, AGAIN.  

When the firm broke up about 2 months later neither of the two partners took me.  And I couldn't blame them, so it was out hitting the streets until I got my next CPA job.  

[I have about 3/4 of a certificate or half an associate's, in accounting/business management.  My aunt is a CPA, at my best I was a book-keeper.]

But I was good at the ledger entries and such.  And Ron always said I was a lot of help to him running the business.  So I got my second job.  One day the boss, it was a very small office, just the CPA/boss, her assistant, and me who was an assistant to both of them.  Anyway the boss was annoyed with her sister.  We were out at lunch.  She said "My sister says Jesus is the only way to Heaven, can you believe that?"  AND I WAFFLED.  I made some comment like "many ways to get there" and have loathed my weakness ever since.  Now Jesus is cool, He knew I would say that when He died on the cross for me but I like to see myself as a light warrior.  

I just thought I should share that.  Now in the meantime I have shared my testimony countless times.  I have handed out thousands of Scripture booklets.  None of that mattered in that moment back then.  God still decided to use me.  He can use anyone.  

I didn't know this was headed that way but there you have it.  I am doing dishes, then when I finish I will do my cooking for the week.  Plan: cook my taco casserole, portion that out.  Then make 2 tuna salads and put  them up.  Make some regular salad too.  Do up my oil and citrus juice dressing.  Fun times.  

I plan to make my roast on Saturday, put it on before I go to work and it will be  ready when I get home.  That's my "Wednesday" with 2 more days ahead so it will be welcome.  I kept my red wine in the fridge.  It smells OK.  I will use some of that.  To cook.  The last pot roast with red wine and broth was very good. 

I got the mail.  Gas was $70 that is a lot because it just hasn't been that cold.  I also got the card, thank you!  My adoptive Mom would love the birds especially the cardinal.   I sent her a picture of the cover, she did like it.  

I need to do up my pills, not much fin but needs to happen.  ION has NCIS on today I am not crazy about it and I generally like "Law and Order" type shows, firemen, EMS, first responder types... but not that one.  I can't do SVU it is too heavy for me.  

I will post again before I go to bed.   

No comments: