Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The rest of Tuesday

Either I am having a low grade mania, or the supplements are working. 

I will say I couldn't be happier with the Wild Yam.  It completely solved my spotting issue.  It is only a couple bucks from Swanson Vitamins.  I just bought 2 more bottles. 

Anyway, I woke up, fed the cats, went back to bed.  Woke up again, fed Biscuit again.  He likes to nibble and come back.  We did that several times today, he'd let me know he wanted a bite and I would give it to him. 

You might think I would find it annoying.  I don't, because the food is so good for him.  He is peeing up a storm without any difficulty.  That is tremendous.  And it helps keep crystals from forming.  So I keep him to his ration and let him nibble, then I put it up again. 

I weighed him today and he is down a pound.  I am really happy about that. 

This morning was pretty uneventful and I'm pretty sure I already covered it.  After my nap, I got to work cleaning up the garage.  Like I said, I want access to my gym equipment. 

I popped in on Ron and he was getting ready.  Good.  We went to the Indian place.  The owner had stepped out, leaving another Indian guy to cover for him.  My Tikka Masala was a little spicier than normal but still good.  Ron and I split an order of samosa.  Those are so good.  He ate some of his tikka boti (a type of grilled chicken), but worked on the pan bread and samosa. 

Ron had arranged it to we would take paratransit to the location, and a cab home.  That way we were assured enough time to eat and wouldn't be left for an hour waiting on our pickup.  I approved. 

And we had a great ride home.  Ron laid down and I went back in the garage.  I filled up a whole garbage can (95 gallons).  It is kind of tedious when checking our old reports because I plan to save everything from 2013 on.  Which means I have to open each and check the date on it.  98% of what I sorted did not have any personal information.  The other 2% were handled separately. 

I got rid of 2 boxes of papers, got rid of some yarn.  Yes, I got rid of the yarn.  I can't do needlework due to brain fog issues and Biscuit would tear it to pieces.  Probably all of them.  So I'm not even going to attempt it.  I got rid of that, the papers, and assorted junk.  I had a hell of a time getting the trash can out to the curb.  I hope they take it.  I also took out a cardboard box with a garbage bag in it. 

In an ideal world I might have donated some of it but then I have to make a space to keep it until they can come, and remember to take it out on pickup day.  And the last time I tried to donate stuff they only took half. 

I will address the rest of the stuff, but I have made big inroads in the stuff I can move.  I still have some vending parts I need "permission" before I can dispose them.  They can live off to the side for a while.  In the meantime I pared down probably 85% of what can be tossed.  I need to go through a couple more boxes and then some clothes over by the squat rack.  But I'm progressing.  I will keep working at it as long as I have the energy. 

Not sure where the energy is coming from.  If it's a mania it's very low grade.  No talking, no shopping, sleeping great, just a little more energy than normal.  I will enjoy it. 

So I got the garage done, what I could.  I took all the trash out to the curb.  I checked the mail and found a talking book for Ron.  He was happy to see it. 

I got a bunch more trash in the mail, so I tossed it.  I found the box from Swanson (supposed to come tomorrow) on the porch so I brought it in.  It smelled strongly of lavender.  I realized the hand soap had leaked.  Happily, not on the other things.  Note to self, don't buy liquids from Swanson.  I can still use the hand soap but I'm short a couple tablespoons.  :p  Like I said, thank God it didn't get on my vitamins. 

I threw that box in the mountain.  I went back in the house and took off my bra!  Good moment! 

I took my pills a little late but they mostly settled OK.  Then I sat down and decided to do my Walmart order. 

First, I signed up for the one year free delivery.  Money well spent.  Then I went through my favorites and started throwing things in the cart.  I consulted Ron.  I consulted my list.  I kept at it, checking the fridge, got a list together.  I spent about $50.  That includes $11 worth of steak burritos for Ron.  I will get it later tomorrow morning.  Some things I said don't substitute but others I left it open.  I like to see myself as open to adventure. 

One thing I got last time, yogurt.  My grandmother (the "good" one) loved yogurt and we always used to eat a lot every time I would visit.  If I had a child I would encourage them to eat yogurt.  For some reason they didn't have yogurt at "home" growing up.  Full of calcium and protein, probiotics... I don't see why not. 

So I got myself some.  I like pretty much every flavor, but I have to avoid ones with nuts or chocolate, because I am allergic to almonds and chocolate is a severe migraine trigger.  I also got some more protein shakes.  Do not substitute because I can't drink the chocolate.  Hopefully they are in stock.  I got mostly healthy stuff and a little ice cream. 

I have some beef stew fixin's thawing out in the fridge.  I will put them in the crock pot tomorrow and cook it.  Ron's exact quote "Why would you make beef stew when I can eat it out of a can?"

So I guess it will be me, eating it. 

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Love yogurt! Right now I'm on a "kick" for the Honey and Honey Vanilla flavors, Greek Style. I always love the lemon and lime flavors (I love almost anything lemon or lime, but not lime cilantro or those kinds of flavors, finally got DH to realise the difference and stop getting me lime cilantro, jalapeno, etc flavored chips-I only like jalapenos on nachos, not jalapeno "flavored" anything, and don't like cilantro, or sage for that matter). Anyway, can't eat jalapenos anymore due to really, really bad acid reflux. I have been woken up from sound sleeps with acid burning its way up my esophagus, very painful.

I started to say that I could live on yogurt, but that's not true, because I also say that I could live on beef roast (don't like pork roast) and lobster too, lol. I could never be a vegetarian! Though I love almost all veggies (not jicama, the first time I tasted it was in a burrito at the Peter Coyote cafe, a friend and I were sitting on the roof next to the street and she had to threaten to leave me there to stop me puking over the side to the street, lol). It also had eggplant in it, which I liked all my life till after that, it was also in the burrito, now I can't look at an eggplant. Sage-DH put way too much in the cornbread dressing one Thanksgiving, and I can't stand it since then.

I always loved fish, except flounder because of the bones (DH would remove them for me if I did eat it) until my brother-in-law, who was a shrimperman, told me that all fish except one have worm parasites in them. I can't remember which one he said didn't, and now he's deceased so I can't ask him, so I quit eating it ( except for swordfish and tuna steaks, love them so much that I just pray they weren't included). I hate worms of every kind! Gross!

Can one eat too much probiotic stuff? I find that when I binge on the Greek yogurt, which has probiotics in it, that I often have a bout of diarrhea. Or is it just the yogurt itself which can do that?

Heather Knits said...

I don't think you can OD on probiotics. Gut health affects everything so it's iomportant to pack the good microbes in there.

I have a lot of yogurt in my fridge. Ron won't touch it unless he is drunk, and then he tried to cover it back up again LOL. I also like kefir which is basically a yogurt smoothie. Never had kombucha or kimchee, but I hear those are good for your health.

I have, on occasion, had the apple cider vinegar in some water. That's about it for me.

I would love to get Ron drinking some shakes. I used to make them after his accident, egg protein, milk, fruit, yogurt. He loved them. But his gut took a turn and he didn't want dairy anymore.

Melanie said...

I learned something new this week, even if I was embarrassed as all get out to learn it. DH had been having really bad diarrhea for almost a week, which in his condition he can't afford at all-he'll dehydrate fast. The hospice nurse came out, and because I've always known dairy can stop you up, I started to get him an Ensure (he won't normally drink them, he hates them and the idea of them). I was thinking "Ensure-milkshake-dairy". She stopped me REAL fast, and told me Ensure can contribute to diarrhea. I wish she could have explained why. I just figured it was a dairy product. So now I know. Did I feel stupid, especially in front of DH, who needs for me to know these things.

Melanie said...

Well Heather, I guess my azz is the ...est (politically incorrect old saying)lol, because DH can't eat any of the foods he always loved (and did he ever love his food! and plenty of it!) He grew up in that house where your siblings would gig you with a fork for the last piece of chicken (or more likely, last fried potato, chicken would have been a luxury, his father was an old shrimperman, and he brought home the trash fish which wasn't very saleable (speaking of, what is a gar fish? Yes, I do ask my DH these things, but he'd rather be witty and give me a smartazz answer than just tell me what I'm asking!) The only food that remotely excites him anymore is home-fried potatoes (fried by me), and if there's any one cooking job I hate and never do for myself, it's deep frying. The things we do for love! He likes all things breaded and deep-fried, I am not crazy about any of it (OK, maybe country fried steak and jalapeno poppers, one of the few ways I can eat jalapenos now).

Feeding DH is an absolute ordeal. I have to try, because eating, such as he can do, is about his only remaining pleasure, and that's when he even has an appetite.

Melanie said...

Hmm, I might like kefir (don't like buttermilk, are they similar?) I'll never know if kimchee tastes good, the smell puts me off. Never heard of kombucha.

I'm dying to try shawarma , it looks right up my alley, but I don't know of any good places here, and when I try it for the first time, I want it to be the good stuff.

Love apple cider vinegar! That's partly why I love saurbraten-what's not to love, lol-sour, sweet, beef, dollop of sour cream, veg. It's the only time I like saurkraut. I've tried to make it, haven't gotten it right yet, but I'll keep trying, I love that stuff.

Heather Knits said...

About the Ensure, probably the corn syrup in it. Also a lot (like Ron) react to dairy by getting the runs. He could probably do yogurt if he tried but he hates yogurt.

We can't know everything. I am just glad, with all Ron's problems, he isn't diabetic so I don't have to shoot him up with insulin on a regular basis. I remember back when we still had family gatherings with his family, one cousin's wife would always draw up a needle full of insulin for her mother in law. It always gave me the creeps.

Ron is terrible about eating and only wants to eat processed snack food, and little cups of pineapple. I am not surprised he has vitamin deficiencies.