Sunday, March 24, 2019

A lot of musings on the cats

I got up a little before the alarm, no headache.  I got ready for my delivery. 

Somehow, I accidentally opened the door to the garage (from garage to outside), when I went out it was wide open.  Nothing was gone, good neighborhood. 

A nice couple arrived with my stuff and put it in the garage.  I signed and they left.  And there was a problem - first time I should add. 

Some things were missing.   They all come from the same part of the store so I am certain there is a bag somewhere with my stuff, laughing at me.  I hunted all over the house, it's not there. 

Not urgent, but 50 glucose test strips and a pack of shakes, some lemonade. 

Ron got up, he was in a pretty good mood.  We chatted.  He drank and went back to bed. 

I moped about my order for a little while (when I get the survey I will tell them what happened and I am sure they will fix it - this is one time out of, like, 8 so not worried.  I can always get the test strips in person).  I watched some TV and took a nap. 

I heard noises in my closet, I was a little creeped out until I heard a sneeze.  Ah!  Torbie!  I called her and she climbed on top of me.  She's a good cat.  I petted her while she purred on my chest.  Then she left me. 

I fell asleep for about an hour - I won't get that tomorrow as we will be busy!  I woke up with a proto-headache and got up to find Ron drinking in the kitchen.  At first he was talking about how much he loved me, I am wonderful, etc.  10 minutes later he told me about a new magic pan that doesn't stick.  Since his accident he is susceptible to infomercials and really gets interested in the product.  He has bought several useless things but has stopped with the actual purchase. 

I told him I have a skillet.  I don't need another pan.  He turned ugly, all I will say about that.  Once he wound down I asked him if he still wanted to pay for pizza - they have a half off coupon today.  He said OK and talked to me while I ordered it.  He said he didn't want pizza but he was interested in some sort of side dish.  I got him some specialty chicken, bbq sauce, bacon, cheese, and chicken bites.  He likes those. 

Then he made a lot of comments about me being "expensive".  He was just willing to spend the same amount of money on a pan (not counting shipping and handling), but balked at spending it on dinner?   I think this is how he must have felt the 14 years I was "sick" (unmedicated type 1 bipolar with "extras")

I just now went back there to tell him I fed Baby Girl (they did bring the new food bowls) and he was sweet.  I know he is not bipolar but he does have shifts. 

I am pretty sure he has "double depression" where one is always depressed, and then, sometimes, it gets a lot worse, then goes up to the "regular' depression.  I would bet money on that.  I would love to let my doc under his hood.  Years ago, Ron actually asked a doctor for an antidepressant that would help him sleep.  He took it for a few days and stopped.  Frustrating for me. 

Although I have to say I knew lithium was "it" for me a few days after starting it, I realized I needed it more than I needed air, and I told Ron so when he expressed worry I had become a bit of a zombie.   The Wellbutrin took about 6 weeks to really kick in, I remember that was a bad time waiting.  But everything else pretty much worked from the start. 

Speaking of doctors, I need to see a primary, not urgent, but not liking my blood sugar numbers.  I think maybe some metformin would be a good idea before it gets bad.  I also need to get all my blood tests. 

But I just remembered I have to see my doc and get all my refills next pay period.  There goes that disposable!  I thank God I have a doctor, and medication.  I don't mind paying (especially doc, he just covers expenses with what he charges). 

So I will see the psychiatrist this pay period, save a little for my vet visit in a few months, pay for my medication.  There goes the disposable.  Next month I can see the primary and get my blood tests.  It can wait. 

My mind is a LITTLE more important!  [laugh]

I have thought about taking Torbie into the vet to get her claws trimmed.  Trimmed.  I would never declaw a cat, I have seen it done twice and it is horrible.   I hope I never see that again.  It was heart rending. 

Anyway, Torbie has a few claw issues.  She likes to put them on my face during cuddle time, she puts them on Ron's leg when begging for treats, and she gets stuck in the back of the wheelchair sharpening her claws on it.  I don't want her to hurt herself.  I don't want her to hurt us - although it doesn't really hurt. 

I have decided I would take her in for a trim if she were a younger cat.  But she is probably 15 years old, pretty ancient.  She fights, she always does.  It takes 2 of them to restrain her.  And she is very old.  I don't want her getting hurt.  If she broke a leg or something I would probably have to put her down, and I sure don't want that.  I will not take her in unless she starts getting stuck more often and is at risk of hurting herself anyway. 

I do plan to get her manicured :p during "our" checkup and shots in July.  That's why I want to start saving now.  3 cats x exam and shots adds up to quite a bit.  Last year Ron did not offer to help.  It didn't matter, I had the money saved, and I enjoyed telling him I had already done it.  I think he was going to make me beg a little.  If nothing else he should be paying for Baby Girl. 

Although Torbie is on the condo in his room right now looking adorable.  She likes hanging out with him on the condo, BG won't let Torbie anywhere near the bed.  Biscuit avoids it too, BG is pretty possessive. 

When he tells people about the cats, he always mentions how Baby Girl cries all over the house looking for him whenever he is in the hospital. 

I need to write up directions on how to care for the cats if I am ever laid up in the hospital.  Who gets what food?  How much?  I have to stand over them?  What about the litter box?  Yeah, I need to do that. 

Short term if I was out of town I would just board Biscuit at the vet.  He wouldn't like that much but he'd sure be happy to see me pick him up. 

He was, last time! 

No comments: