Saturday, July 14, 2018

"It's not your fault"

I've got Mr Kittycat lying next to my chair.  He is so cute. 

I slept OK last night but woke up very tired.  I would say I am disabled, not because I have brain damage and severe mental illness, but because the medication I take for it makes me so very tired.  The cure is nearly as bad as the disease. 

I reset my alarm for an hour later, skipping my God Time, and slept in with Biscuit.  Then I got up, brushed my teeth, and fed him. 

I got ready for work, got Ron ready for work, and we left for the warehouse.  Ron was very surly today, complaining a lot about God being "slow" and needing to "hurry up".  It was exhausting. 

I got my stuff, and his, Jack came, and we went to work.  I brought out the new carts.  The new carts worked pretty well except the Coke made the one cart too heavy.  Several cases of cans, plus several cases of bottles, proved to be a little too much for navigating through doors. 

But I plan to keep my original metal cart, which has worked well for that in the past.  I will have a total of 4 carts, and will keep one on top of the sodas. 

I got it all in.  Now I had 5 carts full of stuff and only room for 3.  I had to unload the two new carts and pile everything up on my "first" carts.  Ron was still in a surly mood but gradually improved. 

We finished up and came home.  I took a nap, I was pretty tired from all the manual labor, and I was working on a headache. 

Biscuit got in bed with me.  I had a pretty good nap but I was cold, Ron had the A/C colder than I like.  I was just under a sheet, so I got a little chilled.  But I wasn't miserable enough to get up and adjust the thermostat. 

My alarm went off and I got up, got ready to go.  Ron wanted to go out for burgers.  So, we went. 

Ron was cranky again, said his back was bothering him, and genuinely seemed in a lot of pain.  If I had put my blood pressure cuff on him I'm sure it would have been elevated.  He needs something for pain, I don't know what, but what he's currently doing is not working.  I hate to see him in pain, and the worst part is, when I get overwhelmed I get angry at him for hurting so much.  It's not like he can stop it, but I want him to, and it's awful.  But it's a self-defense thing - get angry at him because I can't stop it. 

And so goes the path of caregiver burnout.  I imagine, at least.  It's like I told a customer today, his back was already a mess before the accident. 

I still remain amazed he did not break his back in the accident.  The impact of a full sized pickup truck to his legs and torso, lung damage, kidney damage, busted artery in his chest, but his back was not broken.  That's got to be God. 

Some will get angry at this, but God does that sometimes, yes to this, no to that.  You will suffer but only so much.  And of course God is with us through it, and has enabled, in Ron's case, doctors and pharmaceutical companies to create good medications that help.  That applies to me, also. 

I had to suffer unmedicated, for 32 years, but I was "given" good medication that works (even if it makes me tired all the time) on my symptoms now.  Why is it that I always want to spell "symptoms" as "sumptoms"? 

So we went to dinner.  Ron felt pressured because we "only" had an hour.  He kept trying to rush things.  I ate my salad, and my burger, took my pills and gave Ron his multivitamin. 

The meal went OK until I told Ron a man had come in with a service dog.  Ron loves service dogs.  Obviously we aren't getting one, things are too hectic and Ron is not active enough to merit a service dog.  I would also have to care for it's physical needs and I can barely take care of the litter boxes. 

Anyway, Ron kept bothering me to take him over to the "parent" and I wouldn't do it.  It was clear to me the dog was an ESA - emotional support dog, and the "parent" had some odd body language that indicated "don't poke at me".  Ron said he wanted to tell him about paratransit, and kept agitating me. 

I finally told him the guy could drive, he had another disability (not blind), was eating, engaged in a conversation, and would not appreciate being bothered.  Ron pouted, but let me take him outside. 

That's when I told him the guy probably had a psychiatric disability.  Ron finally left it alone, after making a crack, directed at me, about "crazy people". 

People fail to understand it does not bother me to be "insulted" with the title of crazy, told I am disturbed, whatever.  Because I am.  That's like calling me 5 foot 7 or someone who wears glasses.  Yes, I am, it is a part of me, so what? 

About the only thing that bothers me is when someone says I don't need my medication or implies I am some sort of addict getting my fix every Pill Time.  That upsets me.  The rest - pbbbbht. 

It had rained while we were eating, but it passed.  Thank God.  It was nice and dry for the ride home. 

We got home, I got Ron in the house.  He is pretty much incapable of getting into the house on his own.  So I do it. 

If something happened to me, Ron is screwed.  So are the cats. 

Anyway, I got him in, put his leftovers in the fridge, and went to check the mail.  I couldn't get the key to turn in the lock, the maillady pushed the talking books up against the lock and now it won't turn.  So I can't get the box open.  I will try shoving a knife in through the bottom tomorrow, and some other things, but it's aggravating, and I don't want to break my key. 

So I came back and told Ron I couldn't get it.  "It's not your fault" he said. 

He says that a lot, in a way that always sounds like he does think it's my fault.  I hate it when he does that.  I tried to call my parents, but my abuser's son is visiting so they are focused on him.  I also believe my abuser is there as well. 

I have some scars on my body from that man.  He was not a nice kid/teen.  Whatever you say about Ron he wasn't sadistic like that.   Thank God they didn't pick up and try to make me talk to him. 

So I got on the computer, listened to a little music, worked on the blog, worked on pretreating laundry.  I have quite a mountain of laundry to wash.  I will get it tomorrow. 

Tonight is litter box night.  I definitely need to get them. 


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is your dad visiting with the person who abused you?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Spankadoo said...

Biscuit!!!! LOL he is a chunky monkey isn’t he? Funny how the wet food will make him loose weight and with Dogs it is just the other way around dry food helped my chunky dog loose weight .
Heather much love and many huge hugs across the miles.
I am so sad about Ron his pain surly needs to be addressed but this addiction to alcohol is the worst or he would have stopped long before that.
You do you Heather keep healthy stay strong.

Heather Knits said...

I believe my Dad doesn't think I was really abused. In an apology letter I got from my stepmother, she wrote "We all hurt each other". Me, apparently, by being depressed and staying in my room, the abuser by doing what he did. Lots of verbal, some physical.

Dad had a lot of conflict with him in his teens but I think is in denial about what was done to me. It took a long time for me to even accept it was abuse, but I did an inventory with a therapist once and I hit on everything but molestation. Praise God I missed that.

Heather Knits said...

Anonymous, I don't know about his son, the little boy seems very sad and I have been told has behavior issues at school. He is, apparently, a little angel when he visits my dad and his grandmother.

I basically had to make my peace on all of this and realize I will not get justice in this world, only God can show my Dad what happened. In the meantime, denial. Bringing it up just creates a lot of conflict and most likely suspicion I am off my meds.

The boy (abuser's son) will be visiting for 2 weeks so I will just have to grit my teeth everytime I log onto Facebook. Then it goes back do photos of Dad and her, having fun.

Anonymous said...

So you never said if your abuser is on medication for his mental illness? The fact that the little boy seems sad is a good indication that all is not well in his world with this guy. Abusers I have found only stop abusing when they have no one weaker left to abuser. Poor kid. The wonderful grandparents will probably just stick their heads in the sand about this too.

Anonymous said...

Do yourself a favor and don’t log on to Facebook. You can also try “unfollowing” them vs unfriending, temporarily, so you don’t have to see it and get upset. Why are you subjecting yourself to more pain on top of the crap with Ron? You don’t have to take it. I don’t care what excuse you come up with - YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE IT. Any counselor or therapist would tell you to do the same regarding Facebook. Take care of yourself.

Heather Knits said...

I know he is bipolar. I know he has drinking problems. Generally, when he is doing well, they brag about him to me. No bragging in a while. He was taking something for his illness but I don't think it worked very well in combination with the drinking. Even lithium "won't" work if you drink - my own mother is a good example of that.

So, I know he is mentally ill - I was told as an "excuser" for what he did to me "He didn't know, he was sick" but unknown status on is he sober and taking his meds. Probably is, at least during the visit.

I agree about having kids, that's why I didn't. This is a horrible thing to put on a child and in my case, I started having symptoms early.

Heather Knits said...

To anonymous, when they finally take my call (remember I am only "allowed" to call Saturday at 4 their time, unless it is am emergency), I am sure they will mention the big visit. I can use that as an opportunity to ask how my former abuser is doing. Hopefully they will say he is taking his medication and doing well.

One of the best things my birth mother did for me was get out of my life. Unmedicated, drinking, lots of drama, one man after another - not all of them good guys, I'm sure - I really dodged a bullet.

But some bipolar parents can be responsible. I hope the guy in question is.

Anonymous said...

So they told you that unless it is an emergency they do not want you calling them anytime but Saturday at 4PM? That is pretty sick.

I don't think alcoholic un-medicated bipolar people can be good parents. If they say he isn't taking his meds that would be a good time to mention that you hope he is not abusing his child the way he abused you - though that might get you banned from calling all together.

Who do you think made the 1 day a week 4PM only rule, Dad or Stepmom?

Heather Knits said...

Well, my Dad mainly made the rule about calling. If I call any other time they aren't happy to hear from me, unless something grisly is happening. For instance, if I called and told them I caught the possum, they wouldn't be happy. Unless it was Saturday. But if something "more important" is happening then I go to voicemail, so half the time I don't talk to them at all. I always hear this stuff about parents pining for contact - not mine.

They deny he ever abused me so it would just provoke a big argument. An example, one time he came in my room without permission (he did that a lot). Sometimes I wouldn't be dressed and would have to hide - and he would verbally abuse me for a while. This time in particular I lost my temper and shoved him out of my room. He attacked me and we fought. I won the fight. He went crying to mommy. Instead of saying "That's what you get" she gave him treats and sympathy, then I got lectured and punished for "attacking" him. When I was just trying to get him to stop the verbal abuse. Dad always believed her side of things so going to him just created more trouble for myself.

Ron was pretty m- no Ron WAS the first person to tell me that was abuse, and wrong, and things shouldn't go that way in a healthy family. I remember when I was sneaking stuff to his place before I moved out - I took all my favorite clothes, on public transit, in my backpack, for a couple of weeks. The day I moved in (she helped me load the cab) Ron was shocked, asked me where were my clothes. I told him this is it - these are all my clothes. He said he grew up very poor in a horrible part of Houston and even his sisters had more clothes than I did. He has worked on making sure I had a lot of clothes ever since.

Ron's not great at times but he has always been better than THAT.