Friday, July 13, 2018

What might be

Another long day.  Got up, got Ron ready, off to the hospital.  Not the same one he went to last month, this was a "new" one.  He had some imaging stuff done there years ago. 

The tech came out pretty fast and took us back.  I helped Ron up on the bed and took off his shoes.  She spent a lot of time on his liver, and looking at his right kidney.  It has been my experience that they ask a lot of questions when something is wrong.  She asked a lot of questions. 

I was worried about the kidney thing for a while, until I remembered Ron had a kidney laceration (I forget what grade) after his accident.  He had a significant amount of blood in his urine for a couple of weeks, while it healed.  So it may have left scar tissue, which she saw.  Possibly.  I can't spend the next couple days freaking out about what might be. 

We waited for about an hour after the appointment, for the ride.  The driver was rather surly, forced me to ride in the backseat (said she wanted the front seat for her other client she was picking up after us), and played loud rap music all the way home.  It wasn't even good.  It was just repetitive mumbling.  She also drove very aggressively. 

I was happy to get home. 

I took a short nap, with Biscuit.  Biscuit has forgiven me for the vet visit, Torbie has not.  I hope she will start sleeping with me, soon. 

I had a pretty good nap, woke up before the alarm, but had a nasty headache.  I took something and got ready for work. 

I got Ron up and ready, again.  We left and got to work.  We had primary focus on the bottled vendor, that is our money maker.  I helped him fill 10 cases of drinks. 

It was nice to see people from the third shift, but only one problem.  Everyone kept bringing up the deli.  Yes, I'm sure it was wonderful for you: you got a fresh sandwich with fresh vegetables, made the way you liked it, for 1/3 the price of the gas station.  You even got fresh, homemade dinners for a while there at $3.50 a meal.  Unbeatable anywhere else. 

And we hemorrhaged cash, trying to keep it afloat.  On average, we lost over $1,000 a month trying to keep it open.  We had to have set prices per our contract but it did not cover labor, cost of goods, etc, and we always lost money. 

One of the happiest days of my life was the day they closed the deli.  It was, to them, one of the Worst Days Ever.  We also closed it over 15 years ago, so you'd think they'd give up on it. 

But they adapted, people bring in food and sell it (not as cheap as we did!  Ha!  These guys charge $10 a plate!), people stop and get takeout on their way in, or they simply bring their own TV dinner.  One guy I know heats up a can of soup for lunch every day. 

Other than that, it was fine.  Ron wanted to lay down for a while so I got his sleeping bag and unrolled it on the floor, he laid down for a while.  Pretty soon almost time for our pickup, so we packed up and left. 

Our driver was new, but did a very good job.  A world of difference from the other driver we had, nice, friendly, accommodating, cheerful.  If I could have the same driver every day I would pick a guy like him. 

Ron wanted seafood, so we went.  We had a pretty good meal except for the end.  Ron was rushing me and then the driver came early, and he went into rebellion mode "They can't rush me, it isn't my time yet" and got very unpleasant. 

We had a good ride home, but got home late.  So after this I am going to bed. 

Tomorrow we do our supply run.  It should be interesting.  I will be using my new carts for the first time.  I am curious to see what Jack thinks of the carts. 

No comments: