Tuesday, July 24, 2018

"Give me another one!"

I slept in this morning and did my God time, got online for a while, and waited for Ron to wake up.  I didn't want to give him the injection while he was sleeping. 

He finally woke up.  I told him it was shot day and he went to the kitchen and began drinking copiously.  He was scared. 

Hell, I was scared.  I know someone who screwed up giving herself shots, ended up with cellulitis, in the hospital for a week, $10K bill had to be paid by her and her husband. 

So, not looking forward to that. 

I got all my supplies and reread my directions.  I washed, then sanitized my hands with 90% rubbing alcohol and reached for the cotton balls.  BUT the alcohol was so strong it ate the print off the bag, it had a nice little printed design - the alcohol lifted the ink right off the plastic and onto my hands.  So I had to rewash and sanitize. 

Then I'm sitting there at my computer with the directions in front of me.  Inject air into the vial.  OK.  Draw out the solution.  All I was drawing out was air.  I prayed about it and finally figured out I had the needle in too far, it was in the air space, not the medication space.  The vial was a dark brown with red solution, it was very hard to see.  I pulled it back some and got a syringe full of bright red solution.  1 ml.  Good.  My left hand decided to start shaking about this time, even though I had not taken my antidepressant yet. 

I got out the air bubbles and made sure that was good to go.  I put the cap on the needle, and put it on my tray. 

I took my time disinfecting Ron, although it probably prolonged his agony.  Then I stuck in the needle at the proper, 45 degree, angle.  I pressed on the plunger, and solution came back out.  Not in far enough.  I gave it a push, it wouldn't budge.  I gave it a heftier shove, felt like I was stabbing him, and finally got the needle in to the proper depth. 

I pushed the plunger again.  And it went in fine.  I pulled out the needle. 

Ron asked me when I was going to do it.  He was getting nervous.  I told him we were done!  He was pretty drunk, said he wanted another shot.  All done. 

Boy, I was a wreck.  I took a nice hot shower (I hadn't, yet).  As a special treat to myself, decided not to shave my legs today and leave them for tomorrow. 

Ron called his primary care doc, was very honest.  Said he is drinking large amounts of vodka for "pain control" and he wants a medication instead.  They will see him Thursday.  I will remind him to drink a lot of water as they will probably want a urine sample to make sure he isn't already on narcotics. 

So, I get tomorrow off, for me.  Today was all about the shot, and the fact it's supposed to rain. 

I tried to put the used needle into the empty 2 liter bottle I had read was great to use, but it wouldn't fit.  I had to use another container with a screw on cap. 

I have a mild headache as well, I wouldn't want to go out in the heat and sun today.  I did order pizza, which should be here any minute. 

Ron fell asleep during my shower but was happy to hear I ordered him the bacon bbq chicken dish.  I took his crackers away so he will have an appetite when the food arrives. 

Then, after I eat, and take my pills, I'll get a nap. 

No comments: