Thursday, July 12, 2018

Herding cats

I slept OK but I woke up tired.  I hate that.  I got up, took my pills, got ready for work. 

We went in.  I had a lot of work to do for snacks, and Ron had an empty bottled vendor.  I suggested he fill it first, he told me no. 

I did my work and helped him as much as I could.  I was a little annoyed about something that had nothing to do with Ron, but I told myself to get over it.  Sure enough, we ran out of time and did not fill the bottled vendor. 

Ron was very unhappy about having to leave it, but I told him to fill it first.  Now we will have to go back to work tomorrow, after his liver ultrasound, to do it. 

It's not all bad.  I like to hang out with the 12-8 PM shift.  They don't generally see the vendors, ever.  The night shift sees us on occasion, and the other guy more frequently.  Day shift sees both vendors all the time.  "Tour 3" does not. 

We went home.  I took a nap with Torbie.  I remember thinking you wouldn't love me so much if you knew I was about to take you to the vet.  I took a short nap and got up, took a shower. 

Then it was time to herd cats.  I got out the carriers. 

Poor, sweet Biscuit was kicked in the head (by a stranger) as a kitten.  He is a little dim.  He went straight into his carrier.  I had more trouble wrangling Torbie and Baby Girl.  I finally got them stuffed in their bags (cat carrier duffel bags) and zipped up.  They began a chorus of agitated meowing.  I got some stool samples for the vet and put them in Biscuit's carrier. 

And there's Chuck.  He helped me carry them out.  He wanted to know where to put them.  I told him the back area of the SUV was fine.  We lined them up, 1, 2, 3 across the back.  Then we closed the door and headed off to the vet. 

We got there and I picked up Biscuit.  He was the heaviest.  Chuck got Torbie, they have a "thing".  And one of the vet techs was in the parking lot and took Baby Girl. 

They got me situated in the room and used the hormone (Feliway).  The cats calmed down after about 10 minutes (I was early).  The vet was running a little late.  I heard her talking to a surgery patient's "mother".  "Mom" wanted a photo of the cat with the doctor, to put on Facebook. 

She finally came in (I was fine waiting, she is a quality vet and doctors always run late) and asked me how everyone was doing.  I told her they were all fine and healthy. 

She did Baby Girl first.  Baby Girl rolled around on the table and was a very good girl.  She got her shots.  13 pounds, Doc said she should be 9.  Then we did Torbie.  Torbie tried to roll her carrier off the table (she had been trying to claw her way out.  But when it came time for the exam she was a good girl.  I had Doc trim her nails because she is always putting her paw on my face with the claws extended.  She was good for her exam. 16 pounds, should be about 11.  Got her shots, sounded good.  I worry the most about Torbie because she's the oldest but Doc said she is really only middle-aged. 

Lastly, it was time for Biscuit.  I wasn't kidding when I told the tech to bend her knees when she picked him up.  And sure enough, 19 pounds.  He is about twice the weight he should be.  Vet said I needed to feed less food, I explained I am only doing 2/3 cup for all of them, once a day.  She said it must be the treats. 

So Ron is going to have to cut way back.  That's going to be a mighty challenge. 

Are addicts generally enablers?  Because Ron is a cat treat enabler.  If they get up in bed with him, meow, and love on him a little, he makes with the treats.  Torbie in particular is very obvious about this.  It's an important part of Ron's life and it's going to be difficult to modify. 

About the only other thing of note, Biscuit has tartar on his teeth.  He may need a "dental" in a few years.  The girls' teeth were fine.  Doc says a wet food diet will help his teeth, in addition to saving him from diabetes, etc. 

Pretty soon we were all done.  Most of the cats ran back in their carriers and then I went out front and paid.  I had saved up $420 for the visit.  It came to $410.  So I had change, that was cool.  I got the rabies certificates and we got the cats put away in the SUV. 

They "sang" on the way home but not much.  We got home.  Chuck let them out, I thought it would be fun for him to watch them run, and boy did they.    Chuck said hi to Ron and left. 

I talked to Ron about the visit, and the treat rationing we are going to have to do.  He told me the pharmacy called.  Everything, all 4 of my prescriptions, will cost about $110.  Sounds like insurance took a little more off, or something went down in price.  Because a couple months ago it was almost $200.  NOT complaining.  I am glad I don't have to ask Ron for money for this because he has enough on his plate with his medications. 

I ate some yogurt and took my pills.  I'm tired but I will manage.  I am thinking about eating a salty snack and going to bed early. 

I might as well, I'm so tired. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your title "herding cats". Kind of presents with a humorous image. I don't think they would 'herd" to easily at all, but it's funny to think about. Best wishes and God loves you.

Anonymous said...

The only way to stop ron from over feeding the cats treats is to stop buying the treats. 2/3 cup of dry food for 3 cats is not enough for them. You really should be feeding them all individually and not just dumping the food in a plate for them to eat like that. It is not right for the cats.