Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Dude, it's my brain

I had a hard time falling asleep last night, and a hard time getting up this morning. 

I did the bare minimum to prepare myself and went to work.  Ron was in a nasty mood and kept running me down.  As I said in my other post, I was looking forward to sticking him with that needle. 

We did everything we needed, decided we didn't need a soda delivery Friday (so I get to sleep in!), and did our inventory for our Saturday shopping.  We left and went to Walmart. 

Walmart had called and told us they had his prescription.  Now, I have, as a rule, very few problems with the Walmart pharmacy. 

One time they gave me Harriet, same last name, same birthday month and day's, diabetes medication.  Well, they tried.  I always check my meds.  Dude, it's my BRAIN.  You bet I check.  I check Ron's stuff too because he is blind and has some allergies. 

So we got there, I pushed Ron in the wheelchair back to the pharmacy.  I am wearing my Federal ID and a short sleeved shirt.  You can easily see my arms, and Ron's.  This is important. 

They tell us the total and Ron pulls out a wad of $5's.  We pay for the injectable, and the folic acid tablets.  They hand me a baggie full of vials. 

Where are the needles?  I am going to need some needles to inject these rascals.  I ask what needle I need to inject.  They tell me, a 22 or a 25 gauge needle.  Great, I tell them, let's get them. 

But I can't.  Because the doctor didn't write a note for them. 

They can see I am a Federal Contractor.  They can see my arms, I have no track marks, just some small scars in my elbow from donating blood.  They can see Ron also has clean, intact, arms.  But they won't sell us the needles even though they just sold us the injectables. Obviously, the doctor wants us to have a needle.  Nope, they won't do it. 

They tell me to go to another pharmacy.  I tell them that's great, if I had a car and could drive, but I can't.  What do I do?  Have the doctor call in the needles?  Yes. 

So Ron gets on that while I go and do some personal shopping.  I bought a box to put the stuff into, a big spray bottle of Lysol (apparently a sterile surface is important for injections), some drinks, etc.  I also buy some salad mix and a 2 pound block of cheddar cheese.  I pay. 

I do my deposit for my health extortion, I mean, insurance.  That is over half my pay right there.  But they did knock my pills down to $100 for all of them, for 3 months.  That's not bad.  Used to be almost $300.  At least I feel like I'm getting some benefit. 

We got home.  I was tired and took a nap.  I got up and took a shower, then I got dressed.  We went out to the burger place. 

I gave Ron his multivitamin (just a basic over the counter one) and he dropped it.  He was very apologetic but I just gave him another one, and told the waitress when she came by.  A vitamin wouldn't hurt a baby that ate it (a lot of parents at the restaurant let their children run around unattended) but this one has iron in it.  She said she could get it (I didn't see it). 

We had a pretty good meal.  Ron was in a pleasant mood and not so abrasive.  I told him I plan to take tomorrow off and he wants me to have fun.  He gave me plenty of cab fare.  He was also happy I couldn't give him the shot today.  I think he is worried it will hurt a lot. 

Even if I could make it hurt, I would not.  Even if he had just been awful to me.  I try to treat everyone as though they are Jesus.  I often fail, but I try.  I would want Jesus to have an easy, pain-free, shot. 

We had a good meal and went outside to wait on our ride.  I was looking up how to give injections, on my cell phone.  I want to have a solid understanding of the process before I actually go after Ron.  All of a sudden, the store manager came over and asked if we were waiting on a Metrolift.  I said yes, we were.  He pointed at one sitting right behind us.  The driver was "trying to find us" and failing to see the obvious man in the wheelchair right in front of him! 

I had very little faith in him after that, but we still rode home with him.  He got us home OK. 

I checked the mail and got Ron in the house (not in that order), and helped him put his leftovers in the fridge.  Now I'm done for the day. 

I am going to bed early and sleeping in if I want, tomorrow.  I will call the pharmacy before I go there, tomorrow.  No sense in making a blank trip. 

I will also take my Federal ID (we just renewed our badges at work) out of my lanyard tomorrow and take some other things out of my backpack and fanny pack before I leave tomorrow.  No sense tempting fate. 

Someone already tried to rob me once when I did a day out.  If it happens again I want to minimize the damage. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to the post you made about yours and rons medications costing over $700 a month?

Heather Knits said...

It's actually gotten cheaper. Post is still up, btw.

Ron's Eliquis costs $500 a month. His Gabapentin is $365 for 3 months. So average about $121 a month. My meds now cost (they were almost $200 for 3 months, but now down to $100 for 3 months with insurance) $33 for a month. Not sure how much the folic acid is going to cost him, with the b-12 it was a little over $100. Doc says he is not getting off the folic acid ever.

So, all told, $654 now. He needs a drug plan, we will work on getting that done now that things have finally settled down a little. I'm not sure how much the needles will cost, either.

So, there you have it, since you seem to want details.