Friday, July 27, 2018

Not a bad Friday (except for that one ride)

It wasn't a bad day, but a long one. 

I didn't sleep well, had nightmares about zombies and giving Ron shots, and woke up at 1:30 AM.  I had planned to get up at a quarter to 2 so I just got up.  I took my shower and got ready for work. 

Our ride came at 3:45.  We got to ride with "that guy" from work.  He kept asking how he could get in our program.  Thought someone "just" had to be disabled.  We had to explain, several times, you have to be BLIND and I didn't say it but, they probably won't take you with your other problems.  They also need to have a dedicated, full-time helper, and his wife won't even give him a ride to work.  He is never going to make more money doing something else, he had better stick with his current job. 

It is very hard for people with disabilities to have gainful employment.  He was already at work before he had his health problems, whatever they are, and they kept him around.  If they do that you had better not leave because it is VERY hard to find another job when you are disabled.  Anything "gainful" at any rate.  Which is why they have disability checks. 

One reason I haven't gone running out after another job.  In Houston, driving is considered vital to employment.  "What, you don't drive?" 

The bus is pretty reliable transportation.  Only one time I had a problem, about 20 years ago, the bus broke down about a mile from work.  I found a payphone and called, explained the problem.  Asked them if they wanted me to walk the rest of the way.  They said no, we'll come and get you, and they did.  They saw the dead bus sitting by the side of the road and all the passengers milling around, so they knew I was telling the truth.  Only one time in 26 years of employment. 

I challenge car people to beat that record. 

We got to work.  The other guy took off and left us alone for the rest of the day. 

We went in and stocked.  It didn't need much.  And we were gone 3 days.  I did my work, helped Ron, got the soda delivery when it came.  The delivery man was nice and put my soda away for me. 

We finished up with work and went to the bank.  We took a cab from the bank to home.  Ron had a little trouble getting into the vehicle. 

I foresee the day when he will only be able to ride in wheelchair cabs.  I hope I'm wrong, but they do have some out there. 

We came home.  Exhausted, I took a nap.  I slept pretty well but woke up with a headache. 

Ron wanted the new hamburger from McDonald's.  It is available at our local Walmart, so we went there. 

It was a good trip until we picked up the Down's syndrome woman at the day care.  She was very combative, screaming and shouting, Ron kept yelling at her to shut up!  She would, for a minute, then start acting out again.  I always thought Down's syndrome people were sweet and cute.  This woman laid all that to rest.  She was horrible, she needed medication before she caused a wreck. 

Ron also wanted quarter crew socks, they come up just over the ankle, and are worn in the summer, usually.  I wear quarter-crews all year round.  No one can see them under my jeans.  I bought an electric teakettle, I found one for about the same price as the one on Amazon. 

I paid, got our food, and gave Ron his.  I was proud of him for asking for his vitamins, when I forgot.  It makes me feel like he does care about his health. 

Our ride home was on time, and a lot quieter than our ride to Walmart.  We got there and I unloaded, got Ron, put everything away.  I had bought a lot of dairy, I like to eat it in the summer.  My pills like yogurt and cottage cheese, it is cooling, easy to eat, pretty nutritious. 

I ate my chicken nuggets and took my pills.  I am getting ready to go to bed.  I will do laundry, I have a pretty huge mountain, either tomorrow night, or Sunday. 

I won't be going out on Tuesday, they say it will rain.  Besides, I need to give Ron his shot. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don’t judge an entire population of people (People with down’s syndrome) just because one was nasty. I HIGHLY doubt she was that way due to her downs. Would you like to be judged that way? “ALL blind men in wheelchairs must be assholes because Ron is!!” “ All “bipolars” are judgemental because Heather was this one time!!”

I cringed when I read your comment

Heather Knits said...

I didn't say all of them were bad, I said it killed my belief that all of them were "good and sweet". They are portrayed in the media as sweet and cute.

This woman, had she been "normal" very well would have been arrested for her behavior. She didn't put her hands on anyone but her behavior was very distracting for the driver, shouting and yelling.

I have met other blind men in wheelchairs. They all did tend to be demanding.

Anonymous said...

Exactly right Heather. Some are violent too.