Friday, July 6, 2018

God as a psycho and Team Ron

I got a post - reply - referring to God as a "psycho".  Well, I can see how an unreached person can view things that way, but I haven't been angry at God in a long time. 

When I was lying in my crib, filthy and undernourished, neglected all day, every day, for months at a time, God was with me.  When my mother left, He was with me (that's pretty much what triggered my mental illness - I had my first hallucination around age 3, when she left).  When my Dad remarried, He was with me. 

I wasn't allowed to read (long story, but basically it was believed it would "make" me mentally ill if I read), but the Bible I was given at age 8 was a treasured possession.  That, I could read.  And I did.  I liked what I read.  God loved me.  He cared for me.  To quote a very wise little boy "When I cried, He cried with me".  God was with me when another family member developed bipolar disorder and decided to make me the target of his violence.  I didn't understand the big plan, but I knew there was one and I just had to hang in there a while yet. 

About that point, I did become angry at God.  Someone was mentally and physically torturing me, and being rewarded for it.  Unfair favoritism in chores.  I had no problem doing, hard, dirty, yard work, as long as the other "kids" did it too.  But they didn't.  Sometimes my yard work left me bleeding - we had one of those fancy, well-kept yards and one particular palm tree had thorns on it.  I was always cutting myself on the thorns (gloves?  For Heather?) until I figured out a way around it. 

Things were pretty untenable when Ron came into my life, I was on the edge - of what, I didn't know, but I was fraying fast.  Ron offered an out.  He was the first person to believe me about what was going on at home, and he was sure a good outlet for some of my manias, and that's all I'll say on that. 

Was it God's will to run off with Ron?  I don't know.  I doubt it was His will for me to live in sin with him for 11 years, but I sure learned my lesson about that. 

Ron wasn't ready to commit for a long time, as evinced by his behavior over the years.  I wanted to get close to God again, but there was that little "immoral" thing I was doing.  I knew getting right with God would mean leaving Ron. 

I knew if I asked Ron to marry me (even though he did propose and give me a ring), he would show me the door.  And I was pretty economically dependent on him - something that hasn't changed. 

So, fast forward to the accident.  The first thing I grabbed was my Bible.  On one particularly grim, lonely, night, I repented of my sin and told God I would try to make it right.  God carried me through those times when I had very few people on Team Ron. 

Team Ron - those who wanted what was best for Ron.  Me, his Dad, and my aunt.  And "Dad" was limited in what he could do.  He used to bring me quarters wrapped up in foil, for the vending machine, because he knew I liked drinking soda.  Sometimes he would bring me food, like the half-eaten box of chocolates.  I found it very sweet.  At last someone cared, thank you Jesus. 

But in the meantime Ron's care was squarely on me.  My aunt lived literally all the way across town, and had 4 sons.  She could help with some things, and let me know she had my back, but day to day I was on my own. 

Thank God I had my trusty Bible.  I dug back into my faith.  I won't lie, I wasn't chaste until Ron and I got legally married.  But we did get legally married and I finally had the weight of that sin off my back. 

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of other sins, but God guides me on that.  So I got back into my faith and I don't regret it.   I see God as a good guy, one who has my back during Hard Times. 

I get a little sad when I think about all I could have been doing over those 11 years I was living with Ron, in sin.  But then I remind myself Moses didn't start his work until he was 80. 

I am happy serving God, as I see it.  I believe it is His will for me to stay with Ron.  I do hold Ron accountable for bad behavior. 

Not that he's done any this morning, he's been very appreciative about "all I do for him".  Good to hear.  That, I'll take. 

I'll post later, after work. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"About that point, I did become angry at God. Someone was mentally and physically torturing me, and being rewarded for it." Any normal person would be angry that they were shown that god does nothing.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post

Anonymous said...

What did you think god was going to do to you because you had sex before marriage? Answer the same damn thing he did while he cried for you as a neglected baby and an abused child and teenager and finally as an abused grown woman - absolutely nothing. But you can feel good imagining that god saw it all and cried the entire time you were suffering at the hands of the evil and misdeeds of others. So tell me again what is the point of prayer and god for that matter? He does nothing for anyone here on earth we are all on our own. He is still a psycho.

Anonymous said...

Heather do us a favor and don't give a platform to people who mock GOD. I am offended by that.

Heather Knits said...

Just trying to show the full spectrum of responses.

Anonymous said...

I get that but what a horrible thing to say. Mockers..end tmes forb sure

Heather Knits said...

You thought that was bad, you should have seen the one I got this morning! Praying for them.

Anonymous said...

Good reminder to pray for the wicked.

Anonymous said...

Since ALL the prayers you get from deluded christians have done nothing to help you with your life and situation, my suggestion is you save the prayers for yourself. You need them more than me.Thanks.