Saturday, July 28, 2012

When God says no

Ugh.  I rode with someone involved in a cult.


Normally, I like to give the driver a bag of candy with some kind of Jesus.  This time, I got a no.  I have learned to listen to the "no".  Once I realized she was a JW, I got it.  She would have just thrown out the "Jesus".


It is very frustrating to talk to them, they are into their set little lecture, one-way "conversation".  In this case, she said believers didn't go to heaven.  I was dying to quote 2 Peter 3:10 " 2 Peter 3:10
[ The Day of the Lord ] But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.

Revelation 21:1 also discusses how the current Earth will pass away.  

But, then, how productive will it be to argue with a cult member?  I got a "No" so I didn't.  

Once or twice, I disobeyed the Holy Spirit.  The first time, a bus driver went crazy when I tried to give him a Bible.  He had seemed like such a nice man, I thought God was "wrong" to tell me no.  Once I got a look at him screaming and raving, I was happy to exit.  

Even if I hadn't been at my stop, I'd have gotten off.  He accused me of failing to pay the fare (another woman who looked a little like me had gotten on without paying, but I had used my fare card)

The second time, I was at a gas station manned by a muslim.  He seemed like such a nice guy, I got a no, and I tried to give him something anyway.  He went crazy screaming at me, demanded I "take it back" (a bag of candy with The Amazing Life of Jesus - who they are supposed to respect as "a prophet" if nothing else), and basically scared me half to death.  I have never gone back to that gas station.  

When God says no, I listen.  I didn't even discuss it.  I asked Ron a question, effectively changing the subject, and we got to our drop off location quickly.  

It's just so SAD.   We had a guy at work, JW.  Always "witnessing", he focused on talking to young men who were looking for an older man to respect.  He spent hours of time indoctrinating them.  

I was able, after years of faithful witness on our part, to give him a tract about the rapture.  He did take that and read it.  He wasn't allowed to do it, but I'm not going to give out any identifying information to get him in trouble.  

I had read some about cults, and I read about how the JW's will "disfellowship" "bad" members.  I asked him about it - I have never seen anyone so afraid in my life.  He was terrified.  He actually, literally, ran off and we didn't see him for weeks.  

Well.  So, Ron doesn't want to go to church tomorrow.  I think I'll do some more research.  I find it funny - I never saw myself as an apologeticist.   "Witnessing and defending the faith".  Me, argue theology?  

Ah, no.  If I am able to do it, it's God in me, not my own strength.  I plan to make some notes and put them on my spiral bound index cards.   

I also plan to do some research and find out what approach actually works to get people out of there.  Confrontational?  Loving?  Logical?  I need to see.  

I do know they are very strongly programmed with a "We're OK and everyone else is not" attitude, which is very hard to combat.  If I am an "infidel" they will probably not listen to me.  

Maybe I should get some tracts.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about listening to the "no" and staying safe; some people aren't willing or ready to hear. Let your actions and ways be a light to them instead. I remember a time when I would have, sadly, told an evangelist to mind their own business (nicely) so I also know that even those in cult like situations aren't beyond help..I'm living proof. I was Wiccan after I left the church and returned by the grace of God.