Friday, July 20, 2012

Handout Update!

Kind of funny tonight. 

First, we gave away about 150 items in an hour. Good stuff! 

I brought my coworker Dee Ann and her teenage daughter. I set up tote bags, reflective vests, cold drinks, and done up Bibles for them. They just had to show up and distribute. 

It was nice to have a ride, a real one that could go where I needed. I could get spoiled. 

Remember the old days of me and the hand cart on the bus? 

So, I set up. They're a little late but they get here. I load up the vehicle and we head off. 

I put Ron on the median first, in a folding chair. Then I brought all the Bibles (2 boxes plus 3 tote bags), signs, etc. 

I told them the rules, "Don't touch the cars, don't accept money, don't impede traffic". I showed them the Spanish Bibles and briefly demonstrated how I do it. 

Dee Ann became an insane Bible distribution machine. I think she gave away over 100 items just by herself! She was watching all three lanes at once, darting in and out of traffic, and handing Bibles to everyone! 

She said one guy in particular really touched her, he was a very clean cut guy, said "You don't know how much I need this" as he gratefully took it. 

I  was relegated to the crosswalk area, handing out Bibles to the cars there. The leftovers from Dee Ann and her daughter.  

I did alright. 

Some of my favorites: the carload of young woman, about to go clubbing, in their sparkly low-cut stuff. 

The Asian woman, who was happy to give me money, if I'd take it (I didn't of course) but said "OH! NO BIBLE!" and rolled up her window like I bit her. 

The muslim, who didn't take a Bible but really thought about it for a minute. 

Lots of couples and families. One liked the stuff so much they came back for more. 

Carloads of young people going out to party. They'd ask for one, and I'd tease them, by saying very seriously: "I can't do that. You have 4 people in the car. I have to give you four!" and they'd laugh and take it, maybe make a joke about how Fred in the back REALLY needed a Bible. 

I liked the energy. Dee Ann didn't like the nighttime so much but I would definitely do another night time handout. 

I also got a guy who started quoting Matthew 4:4 at me.  I teasingly yelled "Do you have it? Do you have the word?" while waving a Bible at him, and he laughed. 

It was fun. I just felt a little useless.

No comments: