Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Devil's Hit List


2 Corinthians 12:8-11

New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. ” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions,in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


If I have any life verse, you're reading it.  


Because I am flawed, God can use me.  My problems make me lean on Him, trusting in Him for almost everything.  As a result, He can use me.  


Why did God call me to evangelism?  I think, in part, because it's something I could never do on my own.  The rest of it: I am willing and obedient.  


Take the handouts, for instance.  For many years after Ron's accident, I had major anxiety attacks when I got anywhere near a busy street.  Now I stand on a median, in the middle of a busy street, handing out Bibles.  


Which brings me to the warning.  


For years, I bought "my" own Bibles to hand out.  Occasionally, I'd get a little extra discount, or a few extra Bibles, from the bookstore.  I always said thank you.  


This year I started acquiring donors.  They buy the Bibles, I hand them out.  


Now, if you've read for a while you know I always end up with major problems before, and after, a Bible Handout.  I've had everything from plumbing run amok, usually a customary massive depression, financial troubles, marriage problems, you name it.  I expect it.  


I feel guilty, though.  The donors get them too!  In fact, I got an email today.  A guy wants to buy some Bibles.  I said, great, but... and warned him to expect a lot of spiritual attacks.  


I'm used to it.  If a donor wants to sign up, OK.  But I'm not putting you on the devil's hit list without a little warning!  


OH, and if you pray, please pray for the donors and recipients!  Thanks!  




No comments: