Sunday, July 29, 2012

Allow me to distract myself

I woke up with a "bad" headache.  I have a scale: headache, "bad" headache (will become a migraine without intervention), migraine (no vomiting), and "bad" migraine (vomiting).  So, in one sense, it isn't too bad, but it is a bad headache.  


Usually I can kill it with a hot shower and some OTC generic headache pills.  Walmart sells something "Headache Relief Formula" - a generic Excedrin, 2 bottles of 100 count each, for $4.  That's a good deal.  


Not much else to say about it, it will either go away or it won't.  I took the tablets, hot shower pending after I post.  Onto other topics.  


Recently I purchased some small vials of roll-on perfume oil.  Ron was rather free with his favors during his single days, so many perfumes remind him of other women.  


I don't want Ron thinking about another woman when I walk in the room!  I had a very hard time finding something I liked, he liked, and no reminders.  


For a while, in the mid 90's, I wore something called "Water Lilies".  It was a light floral, kind of vanilla notes.  Then I went to White Musk, again, another "white" floral, but it started triggering migraines.  


When I worked food service with Ron, I didn't wear perfume.  I just wore the delectable aroma of cooked hot dogs and baked chicken.  


I began wearing a fake version of "Red" right before Ron's accident.  We both liked it.  I loved it when I was manic.  The rest of the time, I found it a little heavy, but we both found it appealing.  Fragracenet describes it as a blend of oak moss, fruits, spice, and musk.  


I wore it to the hospital when Ron was in a coma, hoping to trigger a vestigial memory.  I also asked permission to do aromatherapy.  I was very into aromatherapy before Ron got hurt.  


I bought a vial of lemon essential oil and encouraged the girls to take a sniff if they were feeling run-down.  They liked it.  I got some "relaxing" and "alert" blends in glass vials,  peppermint and rosemary essential oils.  


The staff were fine with aromatherapy; I'd sprinkle a few drops on a tissue and put it near Ron's head.  It would fragrance his area only.  They didn't like the rosemary, they would come in, sniff, "What's that?" with a distasteful expression, so I stopped it.  I didn't want them going yuck every time they saw Ron.  


So, I went with the peppermint oil.  I'd put a few drops on the tissue and they'd walk in with a much happier expression.  If they asked, I'd tell them I had permission to do aromatherapy.  They loved it and worked with diligence.  


I didn't realize how that would come back to haunt me.  One of the things I bought recently was a "mint blend" fragrance oil.  I put it on and immediately became very depressed.  It took me over a week to figure it out: mint oil - hospital - flashbacks.  


So, I think I ruined mint fragrances for myself, after Ron's accident.  I get profoundly depressed when I smell it.   Anyone want a barely-used vial of mint fragrance oil?  


After Ron's accident, I started wearing Red (the generic) again.  I was walking home one day, carrying my backpack, when the cap came off the small aerosol "freshen-up" I carried in my backpack.  The perfume leaked out, over everything, as I walked home and I stank for days.  I took countless showers and had to throw out the backpack.  I have a pretty serious distaste for "Red" now.  


Since I do work in the food industry, less is more.  I do have a bottle of Tea Rose, and a bottle of Tea Rose Jasmin.  Grandma wore Tea Rose and I loved it.  I do have to be careful wearing it around my aunt, though.  I'd warn her before she saw me because fragrances can take a person aback.  


Like me, and the mint oil.  Ugh.  


So, I had them.  I like to wear Tea Rose when I'm feeling stressed, it's a very comforting fragrance for me.  It doesn't last all day, though, at least not with my activity level and chemistry.  


That's how I found the wholesale perfume oil people.  I was looking for some tea rose perfume oil; it's more intense, and I can carry the little vial in a padded pouch on my backpack.  They didn't have Tea Rose, but they had other things.  


The prices were very low, so I thought "Why not?" and bought a few.  


[I went to the bathroom.  Ron's awake now so we chatted a minute.  "Heather" he said "I wonder how many vegans get angry when their cat brings them a dead rodent?"  Good question, Ron.]  


So, I got a few things, here.  Ron and I, since he does have to smell me, I wanted his input, decided to get various florals.  


So, I got Rose Petal and fake Ombre Rose.  Both, I found ghastly.  For me, at least.  I loved the Somali Rose, a spicier rose fragrance.  I'll be getting more of that.  


In fact, my top three are: Orange Blossom, Patchouli-Lavender, and Somali Rose.  The other fragrances are nice but I haven't worn them yet (Lily of the Valley and Lilac).  I also got something called "Spicebomb" but I haven't tried it yet.   I like spicy fragrances, though.  


Anyway, Ron is happy with all of them, and so am I.  I like the Orange Blossom when I'm manic-y.  It's a very soothing fragrance.  The Patchouli-Lavender is nurturing, good when I'm depressed.   I like the rose fragrance anytime.  


It's interesting to see how many rose fragrances exist.  I have to wonder how many of them smell as bad as those other rose fragrances.  I'm happy with my $1.50 a vial perfume with the roller cap.  


God knows, they have plenty more fragrances.  If I get bored, I can certainly buy more.  


Happily, my headache is a little better.  It's still there, and I feel really sweaty and jittery from the headache tablet caffeine content, but I don't think it'll escalate to a migraine.  


Thank you for allowing me to distract myself from the migraine.  





1 comment:

Melanie said...

I am a serious perfume collector, especially rare and/or discontinued vintage, especially Guerlains-don't get me started, I can chew people's ears off when it comes to perfume! But I have found my best deals on old rare perfumes on Ebay. They also have a lot of selections of roll-on oils, minis, etc.

For everyday perfume wearing, I swear by Luckyscent. It's based in LA but has an online store. The perfumes can be pricey, but they're good quality niche perfumes, something out of the run-of-the-mill "fruitchoulis" and cheap (quality, if not price) "celebrity" perfumes.

Also, they sell samples of their perfumes very cheap, so you can try before you buy. Most are 1ml except for a few especially expensive perfumes, and the oil-based perfumes.

Also, when you place an order, you can choose a few free samples.

Sorry, good perfume is my "obsession" :)