Friday, July 27, 2012

Does it work?

Here's a question for all my readers, saved or unreached.

Does a confrontational approach ever work?    I have two viewpoints.

On the one hand, I have seen a confrontational approach work on two men.  One, my husband, was debating "religion" with a man named John.

"Ron" he said "You've never even read the Bible!  You are ignorant!  Go read a Bible and then we'll talk."  Ron was so furious he went and stole a Bible, reading it and getting saved.

Another time my husband told a fellow passenger "You need a Bible, sir" and gave him one.  Amazingly, the man accepted it and began reading it immediately.  We rode with him months later and he thanked us again, for the Bible.

So, on a few occasions, I guess an evangelist can be a little brash.  I have to think, though, that most of the time, God calls us to mercy and compassion.

I told Ron "I just share my faith and offer them a Bible, and they take it."  That's my approach.  I have this wonderful faith and I want to share.   Or, I put a Bible or scripture booklet into a bag of candy and share that - but again, it's sharing.  That's my approach, sharing in love.

Some people are really fond of certain approaches, "Way of the Master" for one.  link  I read the book and determined it is not for me.

I am more an intuitive, "guided by the Holy Spirit" evangelist.  Show God's love to people, share my testimony, and offer them a Bible.  God takes it from there.

WOTM isn't a bad approach.  I have to say, firstly, it's a formula.  I think it is restrictive to use a formula, but understand it may be more comfortable for others.  I'm not a fan of formulas.  With my memory problems, I'd probably forget a vital step!

Secondly, it basically tells the person "You are a sinner, and you are going to hell unless".  Again, not a bad approach.  Some of us need that.  That's the approach used the night I got saved.  I wanted to go to Heaven, and I wanted Jesus in my life.  It took me a long time to realize what that entailed!

I am happy to serve Him, and wouldn't give Him up for anything.  I'm never alone.

So, good for them.  They are getting the Word out.  It's an interesting approach, and, while a little edgy, not ugly.

Then we get to the shouters.  You know who I'm talking about, don't you?    I bet I could find some GOOD links.

Here's a little one:  http://youtu.be/bgIjGID9HSE

Notice how he is waving his Bible as he insults everyone?

Now look at this:

First, I am a sinner.  I am a liar, a fornicator, I have committed adultery in my head.  I have hated my parents, I have stolen, I have committed many sins.

I am honored that God has chosen to forgive me and use me in spite of all my flaws.  God, in me, makes me great!  I'm just a crazy woman with brain damage.

Ok, that said,  I wave Bibles in this video but notice my language.  I love the unreached.  I feel a tremendous love and responsibility for my recipients, whom I view as my spiritual "children".  I may not say that in the video, but I do.

http://youtu.be/bZq8SsiwXrg

Funny, that was just 2 years ago.

God has called me, and every Christian, to preach the gospel to everyone.  A famous evangelist (Corrie Ten Boom) once said "The world does not read the Bible.  The world reads you and me."

As I read about Jesus in the New Testament, he was always very kind to the unreached.  He deliberately sought out the undesirables in society, and treated them with kindness and respect.

I have to emulate that.

Edit: Ron thought of another approach, but I don't advise it.  http://youtu.be/eowuu9rVjZw

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it can work for some people. It depends on the personality. I think a better approach is to pray over what would speak most to the individual and go from there.

Melanie said...

I like what I've seen a lot of mature grounded Christians say-all we can do is cast the seed, we can't control what kind of ground it falls on, and the Holy Spirit does the convicting anyway.

My own personal theory is that since, in the end, it's faith, I can't really argue or even reason a person into believing. They have to find the faith for themselves. I can show them the path, if they want to know, but I can't make them walk it.

Those people, such as atheists, who ask for 100% "proof" of everything, aren't seeking God in faith. The Bible says that even we who have faith can only see through a glass darkly here on earth.