Monday, July 2, 2012

Handout Eve

I'll finish the Bibles today.  I like to put a tract and a reading plan in the whole Bible, and a tract and "Where to Look in the New Testament" in the New Testament.

I need to get more reading plans; they give the recipient a few chapters a day.  If they want.  It's just my job to get them the Bible.  It's up to them after that.

I cheated and started handing some out today.  One lady was not very kind to me.  I battled it out internally and knew God would want me to give her a Bible.  So, I did.

Very often, I end up asking God to put His thoughts in my head.  I could probably stand to make that a nonstop request!

Anyway, tomorrow it might be a little unsafe.  It's a very busy intersection, and the "median" is just a painted area on the street.  It isn't elevated like my other median.  However, I have to figure God has got my back.

Really, if I got to choose how I died, I'd pick a Bible Handout.  Right after I gave the last one away!

So, do I think I'll die?  No.  Do I think it's a little riskier than my usual daily activity?  Yes.

I will be attired in blinding neon yellow safety clothes.  I will be seen.  [snort]  Even Ron could see me in THAT getup.

I have to say, the Bible Handout is great for humility.  I look like a safety cone.  A lot of people drive by and ignore me.  Some point and laugh.  Some gape.  Some take a quick glance and then look forward in a steadfast, "I don't see you" manner.

The day before the handout is generally a mixture of frantic activity and quiet contemplation.  I wonder about the recipients.  I pray for them every day (you, too).  I feel a deep sense of responsibility for "my" recipients.

It doesn't matter who they are - the Asian lady in the SUV that cost more than my home, or the guy covered in gang tattoos who asked if he could get a Bible, too.  Oh, I just wanted to hug him.  They're my recipients, I love them, and I pray for them daily.

It's the least I can do.

People ask me sometimes, why are you doing this?

Well, I have an amazing relationship with God.  He knows every part of me, even the dark and ugly parts, and He still sent His son to die for me on the cross.  He loves me, He's never failed me.  He's helped me grow into a strong, loving, woman.  No matter what happens, God has my back and WILL use it for good.

I want other people to have that, too.

3 comments:

Dottie said...

We need a post BBH video blog!

Unknown said...

yeah! I'd like to see you in action too :)

Heather Knits said...

I'll try to load it again. My modem kept crashing mid-download.