Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Attack of the Sharpie

Today was another interesting day.

When I got up, a coworker had asked if she could help with my Friday night Handout.  She is a wonderful lady, of course I said yes.

I realized I needed to make a couple extra Free Bibles signs.  One for Dee, one for Craig (Saturday Morning Handout), and maybe an extra.

I found my Sharpie Wide Tip marker.  It has a tip about an inch wide.  It's great for making Free Bibles signs.  I stuck it in my backpack.

I had some breakfast and took my morning pills.  I told Ron, I like taking all the lithium at night.  I sleep better and I am more alert during the day.  I intend to keep doing this.   Doc is fine with that.

In fact, after I post, I will be eating my dinner and swallowing a large handful of lithium capsules.  I'll have about an hour before I crash.  But, tired is good when I'm trying to sleep.

I brought a tote bag (glad I did).  I took the bus.  I went to the grocery store.  It was very hot, sunny, and humid.  I decided to get some Powerade Zero.  I got that, and some salty snacks.

I waited on the bus, and caught my connection.  I handed out some Driver Candy (candy in a ziplock with a Scripture Booklet).   That always makes me happy, and the recipients, too.

I have no idea what happens to the stuff I hand out.  I recently heard a public figure ripped up a New Testament.  A lot of people were very upset.  Well, they shouldn't have been; their job was giving.  What happens after that is up to the recipient.  I'm sure a few, or maybe even most, of "my" items have been tossed into the trash, on the ground, whatever.  That doesn't matter.  Some people had a look at it and maybe thought about God.  That's what matters.

This is what God has called me to do.  "Religious" types love to use the phrase to describe my work "You're the sower [in Matthew chapter 13]!"  Matthew 13  When I die, if I die, I have no doubt they will preach on this at my funeral.

The sower spreads the Word.  Some of it falls on good ground, and some doesn't.  But it's up to the ground, not the sower.  The recipient is the ground, I'm the sower, the seed the Bibles and Driver Candy.  So, I don't worry.

I hope I meet a person or two who got there, but I'm not notching my belt.  I think what I do is great, because I have NO idea how things turn out.  Once or twice, someone's said they liked what I gave them.  That's it.

I like it that way.  I know pride is always an issue that deserves vigilance.

So, walking around, in the heat, with my backpack and tote bag, I was actually OK.  I went to my favorite Dollar store and got some sandwich baggies, snacks for Ron (he wanted peanut butter crackers - which would give me a migraine), pink razors, and a cute little day planner.

I went to a craft store and looked at tote bags - no thanks.  I like a tote bag for a Bible Handout.  "Mine" is a lime green, matches my outfit (safety orange and yellow).  I have more totes at home for my helpers.  Years ago, I got manic for tote bags and they were on clearance.  I have several.

I left without spending a penny and went to the Christian bookstore.  I checked the vending machine, needs 3 cases.  I called Ron and had him put it on his digital recorder.

I took my time selecting poster board for the signs.  Yes, I prayed over it.  I liked the lime green for Craig, and the hot pink for Dee.  I also saw a smaller poster board, framed with colorful stars on a black background.  I got it too.

Then I asked permission to use an empty counter, prayed over the poster board (I am not very good at lettering, on my own), and got out the Sharpie.  Even though my hands were shaking (from the lithium) I produced 3 very readable signs.  Thanks, Lord.  He definitely got the credit for that.

I think I would have been OK if I walked away as the ink dried, but I stood over the signs and the fumes were really bad.  I developed a nasty headache.

I realized, if I didn't get home soon, I'd have a migraine.  I took some generic Excedrin (I always carry it in my bag), and got the posters laminated.  I got something to eat, and realized I'd need a cab.

Ron called me a cab, which came pretty quick.  We have pretty good credibility with the cabs, "nice", good tippers.  I got a ride in about 10 minutes (excellent) and he was a guy who knew us.

I got home quickly and gave him a good tip, put my things away, and took a nap.  The headache is still there, so I'll take some more OTC pain stuff.

When I got up, I started prepping Bibles.  For those who wonder what that entails, I stamp it with the church website (so the interested have somewhere to go).  I put in a "Where to Look in the New Testament" (or a reading plan for a whole Bible), and a tract ("Where will you Spend Eternity?"  "7 Things that Won't get you into Heaven", etc.).  I set it in the "done" pile, which goes into a box by the door.  Then, I just take the box on the handout.

I'm going to have a  busy weekend.

No comments: