Tuesday, July 24, 2012

What can man do to me?

Have you ever noticed, sometimes people like to sit around and play the "what if" worst case scenario game?

I am prone to do that, if I don't catch myself.  Say, home repairs.  I will start worrying about everything: my foundation, roof, plumbing, electrical, appliances, you name it.  I will work myself into a frenzy.

Some people like to play "Worst case scenario" - a lot of people, not breaking any confidences here: a lot of people on Facebook worry about one-world government taking over and restricting them.  Some wonder when "they" will come to arrest them for being Christians.    What if we have race wars?

It seems like the media wants to turn every race against the others: black against white and latino, latino against black and white, black against white and latino..  you get the idea.  It seems certain idiots blame the other races for all their problems, just like Hitler.  "If it weren't for them, you could have a great life!  They want to destroy you!"

Ugh.  Don't fall for that.  I really used to get upset about the "Illegal" issue until God pointed that out: blaming illegal immigrants for America's problems, is no different than Hitler blaming the Jews for Germany's problems; and just as destructive.  So, I don't.  For some reason, God wants me evangelizing every Latino I can get ahold of, so I do that and do it with love.

So, what if "they" take over?

Well.  They won't; at least not before the Rapture.  Afterwards, look out - a totalitarian government is right around the corner, has been prophesied for millennia.

Do we have signs of what's to come?  Absolutely.  Do we see the footwork for the destruction of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights?  Absolutely.  Does the government abuse power?  Absolutely?  Is the economy in the toilet?  Yes.  Is the world on the brink of chaos?  Absolutely.

But, God doesn't want us to worry about it.

Some of my very favorite verses on the subject, and note how the same phrasing is repeated again and again!

Hebrews 13:6
So we may boldly say: “The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do tome?”


Psalm 118:6
The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?



Psalm 56:11
In God I have put my trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?




With my illness, if I allow it, anxiety will eat me alive.  I have learned to give it all to God.  I will just destroy myself and insult Him, otherwise.

Can you imagine God, watching me freak out about our lousy sales?  "Oh, how will we pay the bills, we're going to lose the house, what will we do?"  It's insulting to Him; I'm saying "God is too small for this, I have to handle it myself."

Dude, I'm with the Lord of Lords.  He created the universe; and He's told me, He's got my back:

Matthew Chapter 6:25 “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. [quotes from NKJV]

That's Jesus talking.  If the Lord of Lords is telling me "Don't stress, Heather, I've got your back", well, I'm going to believe Him!  

Sometimes people talk about "What if they come to arrest us for being Christians?"  I either really annoy, or inspire, people with my response.  

I say "Well, if 'they' have a list I am on it.  I am very vocal about my faith, and very open about what I do to share it.  When they want to shut us down, I'm probably going first."  I then add, it won't matter.  If "they" throw me in prison I would share my faith.  If they kill me, really, that's the best-case scenario because then I'm in my Heavenly Mansion, in my new, perfect body, kicking it with the Lord of Lords and my dead cat!  [laugh]  

I am fearless when it comes to sharing my faith; God has put that into me.  I thank Him for it, and as long as I'm here I will continue to do so.  

What can man do to me?  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really needed to read this today, Heather. Thank you! I got chills when I saw this on Facebook as it was so what I needed to see...I have major worry and anxiety problems and need to turn them over to God.