Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Married to the boss

2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “If a man will not work, he shall not eat.” 


I have what many would consider a "hard" view about employment.  I got a lot of my work ethic from my Dad, and the rest from my husband.  When he couldn't find employment, he'd take whatever he could, even though telemarketing made him feel like a prostitute.  


I also picked up a lot from the Bible; the above verse being the most memorable.  Paul also said "We work hard with our own hands, we labor night and day" etc.  You can go to Bible Gateway and type in work.  


Let me do that.  720 references.  Obviously, God thinks work is important.  


Here's another good example:  Acts 18:3
So, because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and worked; for by occupation they were tentmakers.

This is where we get the phrase "Tentmaker Missionary" - which I am.  I do "work" for God, but I support myself with a secular job (selling snack foods).   The paying job doesn't deal with missions, it supports them.  

Now, of course, everyone has a different calling.  But if "my" sponsors only have $50, I want it to go for Bibles!   Corrie Ten Boom, a famous evangelist, said God could do more with one blessed quarter, than a $20 bill.  Another good point; a lot of times we don't "need" a lot of money to get God's work accomplished.  

I am not ashamed to use all the free and low-cost resources I have at my disposal (World Missionary Press, Holman Bible publishers, and Grace and Truth Tracts).  I utilize the more affordable printer when I need "Where to Look in the New Testament", and try to be a good steward overall.  

Why do I work?  After all, I have not one, but TWO disabling conditions.  I also suffer, mildly, from post-traumatic stress.  I was told at age 17 I'd get disability and wouldn't have to worry about supporting myself.  They'd made sure I'd get all the system had for me.  

Again, I don't have a problem with the concept, but God made it clear that was not His plan for me.  How do I know?  Basically, when I think about it, think about how easy it would be, I get a really loud NO in my head.  That. 

My husband also had the same NO in his head when it came to the issue.  So, we agreed, we would live off his disability check.  We live very simply and modestly, supplementing it with our part-time vending income.  

I think we live pretty well.  We don't live wealthy, but we live well.  I have a nice internet connection and a great used computer from my Dad.  I have satellite TV and a 20 inch low-def television set.  We have utilities, food for us and the cat, and a quiet life.  That's more than we need.  

The communists used to say "take what you need".  Well, we do.  We "could" get more, I'm sure.  

I really believe it is important for everyone to work; and not just for economics.  Clearly, we as a nation cannot afford to support tens of millions on unemployment, for years at a time.  That's not sustainable.  

When I was on my local news site, people used to say "I can't get the kind of job I had before.  I don't want to be an assistant manager at a fast-food restaurant when I was an account executive."  Well, that's just selfish.  When I was on unemployment, I took the first job I was offered.  I only needed my unemployment check for a few weeks.  

In fact, if something happens to Ron or the business I am not entitled to unemployment.  I'm married to my boss!    You might think it would be easier, but it's not!  I think he is more demanding with me than he would a pro forma employee.  

I didn't care about the job title, as long as I could pay my bills!  I have NEVER been "too good" for any job.  

Sometimes we go to bad neighborhoods and pick up clients who live in the projects, or "hood".  I see so many idle working-age people just sitting in chairs outside, or standing around on corners.  I can only imagine the mischief.   They make trouble.  They have low-self esteem because they believe they are too stupid/too whatever, to support themselves.  

And I think of all the paratransit clients I meet, every one bemoaning the lack of ethical, punctual, caregivers.  What a waste.  


2 comments:

erenauld said...

Heather,

I am ejrjr on the rapture ready board who started that thread that got so long and winded and Im guessing prompted you to put this post on your blog.

Your ministry has had me interested in you for sometime and it hurt me that I had run you off angry from that thread. I followed the link from your profile there to fnd myself here.

I cant help but feel you were a bit hypocritical in your comments there after seeing this post here.

Here you say "I dont have a problem with it" referring to unemployment, and actually say you have collected it for a few weeks but it wasnt for you. In the other thread you never mention this and just say how bad it is.

You also say both you and your husband have disabilities and own a small vending business. Though you never say neither here nor there what you have for medical coverage I am goiing to assume it is medicare/medicaid. If so I would also find ths hypocritical as it is definately a social welfare program. A much needed one I might add. Im sure you are thankful to have it if that is indeed what you have.

Where is it the line is drawn to what social program is ok and which isn't?

God bless you and your bible ministry Heather. I will be praying the people who receive these bibles find the love of Christ and accept Him as thier savior.

Ed

Heather Knits said...

First, I got unemployment because I was fired, right before Christmas no less. Ron told me to take a week off, and then I filed for unemployment because I was unjustly terminated. The EDD agreed, and I faxed over 2 dozen resumes every week and applied for everything in my area. I had a job offer in 2 weeks. I took it, and once i proved I had been hired I got a partial third week. That's how the system is supposed to work.

Secondly, your friend has been on unemployment for two years. He has a lot of assets by my standards, I don't own a tractor and a 30 acre plot of land. Before asking for "more" unemployment, I would look at selling some of the assets.

Now, I don't know where you live, but now and then I do something I call a Day Out. I go ride the bus and have a day out and away from my husband. It is very important to prevent caregiver burnout. Everytime I do a Day Out, I see countless jobs are hiring. Even with all my problems and non-driving, I could get another job in a few weeks, if I had to. If someone isn't working after 2 years, I have to conclude they are being very selective about what they will do, or not looking at all. We even have day-labor places that will pay you to be a "human sign" on the corner for cash daily. I would do that in a minute.

I have always been at the extremely low income side of the equation. We own a home - the mortgage is cheaper than rent. We got it back in the subprime days - but a fixed rate so we have kept it.

However, we live off his disability check and our income from the business only. If we can live on one check, why take two? I would rather save that money for someone who really needs it. For me, it would be a luxury. See, I really do only take what I need. I don't have any medical coverage as a result; If I get sick I pay cash to the doctor, and remind you again I qualify as "extremely low income".

Our sales have been so bad I had to take a 25% pay cut. I still work the same amount, I just make less.

And then I hear about someone who APPEARS to be sitting on his butt all day, with a 30 acre parcel of land, tractor, other vehicles, who wants to take money from me to pay his bills? You can understand why I got upset.

However, in the interest of fairness we do not pay state or federal unemployment because I am married to the business owner - we are exempt.

This week I will be paying over $60 for a 3 month supply of medication, plus $50 to see my cash-only psychiatrist. I'm paying that out of $300 net.