Monday, July 30, 2012

"Where are you, Heather?"

Delivery day is always interesting.

Last night, I had a hard time falling asleep.  They had some alien invasion program.

I am not worried about an alien invasion, but I was interested to see how they'd present it, because I believe aliens will be used to explain the rapture.  "The aliens took away all those close minded Christians, so the rest of us could evolve" - possibly.

You'll have to wait and see; but I always pray you'll be with me.  I don't care how awful you are, what kind of comments you leave, no one "deserves" the trials you will have in the Tribulation.

Anyway, I watched that for a while.  Ron fell asleep at the end.  He loves to sleep with his TV on headphones.  His Dad used to fall asleep with the TV blaring, maybe it's genetic.  All I know, Ron sleeps GREAT when he does that and we have separate rooms, so it works for both of us.

I went to bed around 7, because I had to get up at 2.  Ron woke me up talking about a new alien show on TV ("Roswell").  He kept calling me, and woke me up.  "Where are you, Heather?"

"I'm asleep in bed."  Ooops!  Ron felt terrible.

I just didn't sleep well last night.  I got up at 3 and took my shower.  I shaved my legs.  Poor things look like I tried to hurt them, but at least they weren't hairy.

I woke Ron up, his alarm malfunctioned.

Our driver was early, and banged on the door until I opened it.  Ron got on the van by himself, like he always does, and when we got the stop she blocked/crowded him as he got off.  If she had backed up and let him use his cane, he could have "seen" where he was going, but she grabbed his arm roughly and pushed him where she wanted him to go, while giving really bad verbal directions.

I had to keep saying "He is fine, let him go.  HE'S FINE."  Ron finally pulled his arm away and used his cane.  Sometimes the overprotective drivers are worse than the ones that ignore him.

One woman crowded so closely behind him, she caused him to lose his balance.  Then she tried to say "See, he almost fell!  That's why I had to help him!"  It was pointless to tell her he would have been fine without her "help".

Anyway, a little bit of a gripe: stop helping Ron.  If he needs help, he will ask for it.  Ron has a theory.  The people who go blind as children are much more capable, especially if their parents encourage them to be independent.  The people who go blind as adults, are, in Ron's word's "Incompetent" and actually need someone to tell them to raise their foot 3 inches for the curb.

In Houston, they don't use white canes either.  Most don't want to publicly identify as "blind".  Others foolishly think a white cane will make them a target (quite the contrary, even the drug dealers were nice to Ron, and me, his wife).  Anyway, for whatever reason, they are depriving themselves of a very important tool for navigating safely.   They are also completely dependent on other people  for navigation.

Ron's always been an independent fellow, one of the many reasons I love him.  So, we went into work.  All the machines were working, except coffee.  Stupid plunger. That will set us back over $100.

I did meter readings, the pull, and counted it.   I got paid my "new" salary, less, but that means we can buy adequate snack machine inventory.  It wasn't that much to begin with, but Ron pays all the bills.

I talked to the other vendors, Ron introduced himself to the new guy, and we waited on Dr Pepper.  We didn't see them for hours.  The handheld computers were malfunctioning.  I got my entire order of 22 cases.  Wow.

We used to get over 100.  OK - reader, the one who finds Obama such a good leader: when he took office we got 90 cases a month.  Now we are getting 22.  Still think he's good for the economy?   Not ours, he isn't.   Sales have dropped by 75%.  By his own words, if he couldn't fix things, he should be a one-term president.  I will be happy to make that happen.

Back to work, so we did all we could.  I do need more snack inventory.  I had a jar of change I'd been saving.  Ron ran it on the coin sorter and sold it to the credit union, giving me a little fun money.

I have a lot of expenses on a lot less pay: charity debits, doctor visit, and medication.  Ron offered to help with the medication.  Good.

Something funny about my husband buying my antidepressant.  [giggle]

We got that delivery, and the sandwich delivery.  One of the clamshells had popped open.  Ron and I decided to eat it, a nice turkey sandwich.  "I'd buy this" I said with my mouth full, as Ron nodded.  Good stuff.  I like to know we have quality product.

The Dr Pepper guy helped me put the soda away, because I'm willing to do it on my own.  He saw me putting it up, helped, and we got all 22 put up in a few minutes.  Then he took the stack of pallets back to his truck.  He's a nice guy.

After work, we had another "special" driver.  I understand he may not want me to give directions.  I understand he may ignore my directions.  But when the GPS and I are both saying "turn left" and he gets in the right turn lane... agh.  I ended up yelling "It's on the left!"   He told me no it wasn't, it was on the right, and I said I've been coming here for 12 years!    Even Ron yelled "It's on the left".  Oh, well, since the blind man said it, he got in the proper lane and turned.  [head slap]

I hope he perks up, or he won't last long.  He had a nasty attitude.  Ugh.  Happy to get off that vehicle.

We had a good ride home, and took a nap.  I only slept about an hour and a half.  Bubba-cat got into bed with me and I dropped right off.  When I woke up, he was gone.  I probably rolled on his tail or something.

Remember last year, when that kitten wanted to live with us?  One time it slept in my bed and I kept rolling over on it.  He let out such an awful squeaks.  I need a big fat kitty in my bed, one I won't smash!

Ron took me out to dinner, a good place that has a very affordable afternoon special.  It was great.

I thought it was wonderful, when I pushed his chair in the doorway a waitress, the one we had last time, came running up and said "I'll take them!" with a big grin.

She was a really great waitress.  I love this about Ron: he's a great tipper.  We left when it started getting busy and waited outside.  We had a good ride home, a nice young man.

Ron went straight to bed.  He's exhausted.  I can hear him snoring.

I checked the mail.  The insurance company wants me to replace the siding/trim on the garage, trim the tree (it is overhanging the house), and prune the backyard.  I can do the last.

My uncle would LOVE to trim the tree.  He keeps talking about it every time he sees the tree.  I may have a hard time restraining him.

The repair work? Well, we'll see.  I can afford to buy the parts, I just need some help with the labor.  Ron has a call in to someone from the church.




1 comment:

Jillian said...

Oh boy...I can relate to the situation with the driver. I support individuals with severe developmental, physical, and medical disabilities in my career, and while many do this in a well-meaning way, I see so many people in society try to "help" these people in ways that actually don't help them at all..such as when they talk to disabled adults like they are children or in other totally undignified ways, or insist on doing things for them that they can do for themselves.

I even get this with my "invisible" disability of bipolar (and I'm sure you do, too)....people either think I'm "faking" or else that I won't be able to do things that "normal" people do. Baloney to both those things! Thankfully, I had a sympathetic mom, but also one who kicked my butt and made me work to my potential.