Monday, April 23, 2018

Quinoa to the rescue

I went to bed pretty early and woke up, with a bad headache.  It was 10 PM.  That's not a good sign. 

Side note: it must have been the mac and cheese.  The last time I ate it, I got a headache.  This time, I got a migraine. 

So I took some 8-hour tylenol because I wanted to sleep, after all, and I went back to a fitful sleep until the morning.  I got up and took my shower, and went to work. 

I forgot to bring some Excedrin, because my Tylenol would be wearing off at 6.  We had a long ride to work. 

We went to an apartment complex near work.  It took 5 minutes just to get to the apartment.  He waited 5 minutes until her pickup time.  Then she was 5 minutes more coming out.  Another 5 minutes to load her.  There was a teenage girl, and some toddlers running around.  The client was having some drama on the phone with a woman who was supposed to have picked up the kids last night.  She (the other woman) swore she was "just around the corner" and told the her to "ask the driver to wait until I get there".  I said, loudly "We need to go to work".  Another 5 minutes of this, with the woman having drama on the phone. 

Don't watch people's kids for free, and, if they don't pick them up on time, call the police to pick them up.  The negligent parent can then get the kids from CPS.  That will teach them. 

The client was very upset, because her teenage daughter would "have" to watch the kids until their mother arrived.  And the daughter was "supposed" to accompany the woman to the doctor because "I can't get out of my wheelchair".  She was very large. 

So the clock is ticking with all this drama.  She's shouting into the phone "I'm never watching your kids again!" and the other woman keeps swearing she is right around the corner.  The woman finally makes a decision: let me off. 

So the driver has to take off all the straps and hooks securing the wheelchair.  Takes another 5 minutes.  Then he has to call dispatch and explain why Ms. Smith (not her real name) will not be going downtown today.  They kept asking why "She had some drama, with some kids".  They finally "let" him go. 

By this time we are almost an hour late for work, but we're not done yet.  We have another pickup.  By this time my head is throbbing, and I drank all my water.  I dry-swallowed a couple of Excedrin I always keep in my fanny pack and sucked on a mint. 

The other clients came out pretty fast, and the woman was wearing a very heavy, floral, perfume.  It was awful, and made my head throb.  But, happily, we were only a couple of minutes from work. 

We got to work.  Sales were dead.  I was working on my machines today, thinking "Just once I'd like to say the machines were empty".  I did what I could, Ron did his work (I helped), and we left early. 

My head started bothering me again, when we got out in the sun,and I almost vomited on the ride home.  I begged God to please... and He did.  That would have been awful.  I didn't.  But I know: the next time I travel with a migraine, take my bucket.  I would rather look strange than get sick all over someone's vehicle. 

We got home and I went straight to bed.  I didn't sleep very well,and finally got up after 2.  I took some more Excedrin.  I cleaned Ron's wheelchair (he got some sort of sauce on the fabric, but it didn't look like sauce ).  We turned on his credit card. 

I asked him if he would get a card issued on the account, with my name on it.  It makes sense for a lot of reasons.  I don't have my own credit and I should.  He was very amenable to it, he knows I am very honest and will only use it for emergencies.  He says we will do this the next time we go to the bank. 

There's other stuff I need to do but I am waiting on it because I have a migraine.  I don't want to do any more than I have to.  Hell, I'm not even hungry. 

When I do get an appetite, it's quinoa to the rescue.  I have found I can eat that after a migraine, it is mild and agreeable, and sturdy enough to hold my pills.  I didn't take my antidepressant this morning, that's a lost cause (it makes my blood vessels clamp down in my head, if I take it now I will go to vomiting migraine right quick). 

I have some bags of quinoa in the freezer, you cook them for 3 minutes, open the bag, and there's dinner.  They have a couple of different types.  I get the plain sort.  Walmart sells them.  If you are prone to migraines or stomach issues you might consider them.  Quinoa also has protein so it isn't straight carbs, either.  And it has a good flavor.  You can always add spices if you want, but I like it plain when I'm getting over a migraine.  Strongly flavored food "hurts" if I eat it with a headache. 

Ron actually began plotting a Bible Handout for tomorrow.  I generally would not do a Handout right after a migraine, but if he's willing to go, I'll go. 

He would like to go to the chicken place, after.  I will bring a case of Bibles (only 2 left, until my next order comes in!), and he can hold them in the wheelchair until we get to the venue.  Then I put them on the ground, open them, and start distributing. 

Our first handout at this location, we handed out everything in half an hour.  The second handout I was by myself, and it took 2 hours.  I think Ron is a draw to the recipients.  Could be the wheelchair, could be due to he's black, I don't know.  But if he brings them, I will bring him. 

And, since "The worker is worthy of his wages" Luke 10:7 we will get Ron his chicken.  If we have time, I will get one of their burgers, which are apparently very good.  I'm more a beef, than a chicken, person. 

I'm delighted Ron has such a good attitude about this Handout.  I don't think I ask for much, but I do love it when he goes with me on a Handout.  It's the best of both worlds, quality time with my husband, and pleasing God.  All in one bundle.  The perfect date. 

And it won't cost him much, either.  The 6 piece chicken special is only $6.  Drinks another couple dollars, and we are taking paratransit to and from so no expensive cab. 

Like I said, the perfect date. 

No comments: