Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The stick

I woke up this morning worried about my blood test.  Normally, the lab doesn't have any trouble with me, but last year they had a terrible time and almost couldn't get the blood. 

I NEED those results in my file every year, if I am to continue getting my lithium.  And lithium = life.  I need that stuff more than I need air! 

So I got online for a little bit, then I took my shower.  I used the new, "green" shampoo.  The color is green.  It did the job and smelled nice.  I did my God Time, still worried about that blood draw. 

I got all my stuff together and called for a cab.  One came pretty quick.  The driver was a latino man, covered in old acne scars.  I had terrible acne as a teen but most of the scars healed up.  So I could relate.  He was a very nice man who dropped me at the lab. 

The tech was busy drawing blood on a woman when I walked in, so I filled out my form.  Since I only get the test every year, the system apparently "drops" me, and I have to redo the form.  That's fine.  I input all my data, including doc's fax number and my email. 

He was a young man with a scraggly beard, but I try not to judge on appearances.  Normally I only ever have a woman draw my blood.  I decided a man part wasn't going to counteract the needle when it went in, and told myself to shut up. 

I talked too much as he led me to the chair and sat me down.  He tied off my arm and felt the juncture.  He said I had a good vein.  That was encouraging.  A work crew of 4 men all came in for their drug tests, which they apparently now do at the lab. 

Oh, I forgot to mention their prices went down by half.  A metabolic panel and the lithium level were only $68.  That's a bargain.  Last year I paid $70 just for the lithium. 

I was worried the tech would feel rushed with the work crew, but he took his time feeling my vein.  When he stuck me, the pain was very brief and blood started flowing.  And my hand began to shake.  I had explained my shaking hands to him because they always shake during a blood test.  It's just a "spaz" thing and not fear at all.  I used to donate blood.  I donated 3 gallons of blood, total, before the Depakote put paid to that.  I have no problem getting stuck.  I just had to wait while he got the blood.  It flowed pretty freely and he filled up 2 vials, then took out the needle (a brief pain while he did that, but not bad). 

I had already given him the candy with a scripture booklet.  I was done.  So I went to the Kolache Factory (it's nearby) and ate.  Ron called, said he was sober.  I teased him about that.  He wanted me to get him a meatball sub from Subway.  He knows, I know, how he likes it.  I decided to do that so I got it. 

Then I had him call me a cab to come home.  He balked at that, was rather rude and insulting, but he did it.  When I called the cab company they said they couldn't hear me.  So I couldn't call it myself. 

He called and gave them my number and information.  I got a cab in about 10 minutes.  He called me, I came out and got in.  He was a nice man from another country and a good driver.  He had a nice clean cab, too. 

Some of those paratransit cabs are beyond filthy.  I seriously feel like I'm being vaccinated when I ride in them.  We went home. 

I brought Ron his sandwich and he worked on eating it, and made an awful mess while doing so.  [sigh]  When I get frustrated at how he's always staining his clothes I remind myself of the times he couldn't taste his food, and was miserable.  I don't want that again. 

I took a nap.  So did Ron.  It took me a little bit to fall asleep but I did.  I could hear Ron snoring.  I had a pretty good nap.  I tried not to fold my arm over my face like I normally do because I had just had blood drawn and I didn't want to aggravate the puncture.  I slept fine even though I didn't have any cats in the bed with me. 

My alarm went off, I hit the snooze a few times and got up.  I had already done my God Time so I didn't need to do that.  I checked my computer again and got ready to go. 

I gave Ron a clean shirt and we left the house.  I didn't know his pants looked that bad until we were outside.  Too late now. 

We were just going to Denny's.  We had a good meal, I took my pills, and we came home with the same driver.  Ron dripped ranch dressing all over his clean shirt, so I'll have to wash it. 

Laundry looks to be on the agenda tonight.  I will see if I can get Ron to take his clothes off (!) so I can wash them.  If not I will do them tomorrow, or after the Bible Handout on Thursday. 

Tomorrow we meet the repairman and get the bottled vendor fixed, go in, do some stocking, etc.  Hopefully my blood test results come in and are good. 

When I checked my sugars this morning they were 115.  So I have a feeling I may have tested (type 2) diabetic.  We will see.  Either way I'm not worried, I will just eat lower carb. 

That's it for now.  I'm tired - I'm not doing laundry tonight, I will just pre-treat.  I also need to check my email too. 

Anyway, that's it.  Have a good one, I'm praying for you! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather Google diabetes and headaches. My friends husband had type 2 and reversed it by changing his diet.

Heather Knits said...

Glucose came back 88 so I guess I'm good for a while yet.