Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Drug dealing --- Handout

"This is a really bad neighborhood" the cab driver told me, "and you're in the heart of it".  I didn't really believe him until after the Handout, when I heard a store owner shouting "Get out of here, you drug dealing n-ers!"  I kind of gulped at that. 

I also saw police action for about half an hour at "my" gas station (landing pad and pickup spot, plus refuel at the chicken place).    So, it was interesting. 

It was pretty slow at first, I stood there with the sign waving at people.  I handed out a lot of singles.  The cab driver who dropped me off watched me for a while and circled the block a few times.  He had said very nice things when I told him what I do. 

I did have one family, they all wanted Bibles, I set them up (I had kid Bibles).  I also had a couple of people walk up to me,  asking for Bibles.  One guy asked for a Bible and then carried it in his hand as he wandered around the neighborhood for the next hour.  There are a lot of pedestrians in the area.  Nobody bothered me (except the police action had me looking over my shoulder a few times).  I did see the police a few times but I think the average officer sees the "FREE" part of the sign and moves on. 

I handed out a few to guys in trucks.  I handed out all my Spanish.  When I finished all my kid Bibles were gone because I had only brought a few (all I needed).  When I ran out of Spanish, I started handing out Scripture Booklets (thank you World Missionary Press). 

Not one white person took a Bible.  Not one.  I guess someone else is called to them because it doesn't seem to be me. 

A lady in dreadlocks called me over, she was in the far lane.  She couldn't believe what I was doing, and that I gave her more than one (she wanted 2).  She was almost in tears, with gratitude.  And that seemed to set the theme for the day, a couple of women, all very grateful and touched I had come to them. 

I was out there over 2 hours, so I appreciated the thanks.  It isn't getting hot yet but I can feel it coming..  Next time I know to bring more than 2 bottles of water, too. 

I told everyone I would be praying for them..  Some people told me they already had a Bible and I said I'd pray for them daily anyway (I do even if they don't give permission, any car that stops or passes me on a Handout gets prayed for).  Some people said thanks, some didn't.  Some even told me they would pray for me too and I said "I'll take it!"  And I will. 

After the Handout I got to watch the store owner running off the drug dealing [ahem] "fellows" but no one bothered me.  I got a snack for myself, and some chicken for Ron (at home), and caught a cab home.  The driver to go home had a revival banner from Lagos, Nigeria, in his cab so I didn't worry about witnessing to him.  I did give him candy with a scripture booklet. 

Please pray for the recipients! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't pray for the recipients because most of them will not even bother reading the bible and those that do it won't change what they are one bit. If it did ron would be a changed person and he isn't. I know he has read the bible at least once. Honestly this bible nonsense is ridiculous and changes nothing in this world. The only thing that makes a difference is action. Look at you, if you didn't take action and take your meds you would be a bible verse chanting lunatic like ron - a drunk who quotes bible verses to people but can't even apply them to his own life. Very sad.

Heather Knits said...

Well, we can agree to disagree. I have heard too many testimonies of people whose lives were changed by reading the Bible (including my own) to believe otherwise.

People have free will - free will to abuse alcohol and make bad choices, or free will to follow God's Word and live a better life. It's up to the recipient. I am encouraged, though, by the fact that they even want the Bible. If they want the Bible they are likely to read it and value it, which is why I have always worked the way I do. I don't, as a rule, just shove Bibles at people because *a lot of them aren't ready*. You aren't ready, yet. You may be one day, I pray so. You may not.

I really hope you don't die unreached, which is why I pray for all the unreached (including you) daily.

God gave me my medication and it works very well. You're right about it working. I will always take it because I need it, just like an epileptic or a heart patient. I have an organic condition (so hard for some Christians to believe!).

At any rate, it makes me feel better if NOTHING else so I will continue doing the handouts. Although my Bible publisher stopped making "my" Bible - so I will have to come up with something else.