Tuesday, April 24, 2018

About my day

I woke up with a headache.  Agh.  I was worried it might morph into a migraine, but the Excedrin killed it.  Good thing, because I forgot to bring more Excedrin on the Handout.  That could have been really bad if I had a rebound headache while I was working. 

I've done Handouts with a migraine and it is Not Fun.  Thank God I got to avoid it today. 

I took my shower, used some lotion on my hands because they were "ashy" (dry).  I normally don't bother with lotion because I wash my hands a lot (a peril of working in food service).  I did my God Time, taking special focus on the recipients. 

I would love to say I pray with a laser focus, but my mind can wander at times.  It is not uncommon for me to start thinking about a vending machine, for instance, halfway through praying for missionaries.  I know God understands but I find it embarrassing.  Maybe it's medication related, maybe everyone has this, no one's talking about it,though.  I do my best. 

Doing anything is better than doing nothing, but I do try to focus, and ask God, repeatedly, for a good focus. 

That done I bagged up some candy.  I had 2 drivers and the lady at the chicken place, so they each got a bag of candy with a scripture booklet.  The book does all the witnessing, has 300 Bible verses, etc.  Really awesome ministry tool and they are FREE!  Look at my World Missionary Press link.  They would love a donation, too. 

That done, I got dressed.  I wore my "new" capris (the long ones) and a purple microfiber t-shirt.  I wore my cheap black sneakers, they cost about $12 from Walmart and are surprisingly comfortable.  I try to dress cheap on the Handouts so I'm on the level, or a little lower than, the recipients.  I don't want them to see me as some haughty judger there to condemn them. 

I left my fanny pack but did bring some cash.  I wore my bus pass just in case, worst case, we had to take the bus home. 

Then I got everything together.  One time I did a Handout and forgot the sign.  You know how hard that was?  It was awful!  I made sure I had my bag, and my sign.  I brought kid Bibles.  I brought Spanish.  I forgot the Bible Promise books.  Then I dug a couple of loose Bibles out of their case and added them to the bag.  Then I checked the 2 cases of Bibles I had left, and got the last one of the NKJV.  I got Ron's "battleaxe" wheelchair, it is wider and very ruggedly constructed, better for a Handout. 

I had to nag Ron to get dressed.  He had a good thing going on, lounging around in bed in his underwear with Baby Girl.  I finally got him dressed. 

Ron asked me something sad this morning.  "When are you going to put me in a nursing home?'  I thought about it.  Really thought about it. 

"Why do you think I'm going to do that?"

"Well, I had a really hard time getting to my vodka last night, and I thought 'Heather won't help'" [PRAISE GOD he gets I will not provide him with alcohol] "And it got me thinking you might..." 

I thought about it some more.  "Honestly?"  Ron affirmed he wanted me to be honest.  "When you won't let me sleep.  That's when I would put you in a nursing home." 

"But I let you sleep!" 

"Exactly.  You don't have anything to worry about as long as you let me sleep."  It's true.  That would be the one thing that would make me say "I'm done here, someone else take over".  So he knows.  When he had the head injury dementia (6 months of fun!), that's what bothered me the most, him waking me up constantly. 

So, that done he got dressed and got into the wheelchair.  I had the Bible bag on the back of the wheelchair.  I just put one handle over each wheelchair handle, it hung nicely.  I had the candy, and 2 bottles of tepid water, in a bag on the wheelchair also.  Then we had the case of Bibles. 

When the ride arrived, I put the case in Ron's lap, took him to the vehicle, took it out of his lap, and stuck it in the back of the vehicle.  The ride was pretty uneventful, except I got something in my (bad) eye.  My right eye is significantly "blinder" than my left (good) eye.  So I use my left eye for most everything, per an eye doctor.  I held my eye open and let it water, until it flushed the offending speck out of my eye.  Oh, that was uncomfortable. 

By the time we got to the venue I was fine.  I put the Bibles in Ron's lap and got him out to the median.  I took them out of his lap and then bumped him up on the median.  I gave him his sign and he held it up while I got the Bibles open.  They use some really fierce tape on those boxes.  I had to get my keys and saw at it. 

I didn't mention this in my update, but everyone wanted to give us money.  Ron and I had to start telling people we had a house, and our own business, before they would put their money away.  One woman tried to give me money, but would not take a Bible.  I wish she had. 

You already read about the Handout.  After we finished I had Ron mash up the empty Bible box.  It has my name and address on it, so I dispose of it at home.  Ron folded it up and sat on it until we got home.  We went to the gas station, first.  I got Skittles (about the only candy that doesn't give me a migraine), and some Queso chips.  We got some Diet Dr Peppers.  I saw they had a really extensive collection of alcohol drinks and thought it was sad. 

The clerk seems to like us, we are pretty polar opposites of the average customer he deals with.  He rang us up with a smile and we went next door to the chicken place.  Ron wanted a 2 piece, I got a bacon cheeseburger.  I forgot to ask for no mustard or onions. 

If I ever meet you, and you want to bring me a hamburger, no mustard, no onions.  Thank you! 

Ron got his chicken and they cooked my food.  We drank our soda and Ron ate his drumstick.  They brought my food, which was still pretty good in spite of the mustard.  The bacon was spectacular.  Now I want to do an early morning Handout so I can try their breakfast. 

I have money budgeted (my own money) for evangelism transportation and snacks.  I always want to be putting money into the program, not taking it out.  I have to answer to God for how I handled the money people send me. 

I didn't eat my chips or candy, but I did drink both sodas.  Ron called around and found a cab not far away, he came quicker than he said (very unusual, generally cabs will fib and say they are closer than they are).  We got everything loaded and went home.  I wrote my update and put everything away. 

Then I tried to take a nap.  But all those Dr Peppers had come back to haunt me.  I am very sensitive to caffeine.  I finally started to doze off and then BAM #6's yard guys fired up their equipment.  I'll remind you the side of my house (and bedroom) is the property line so they were weed whacking right up against my foundation and making a horrific racket.  [bad word] 

I finally got up and told Ron I was up.  I didn't want him tiptoeing, trying to be quiet and not wake me up, so I wouldn't put him in a nursing home. 

Ron's back to his underwear, in bed, this time, with Torbie, who is happily laying next to him enjoying the fan.  We think Baby Girl is the morning cat, and Torbie is the afternoon one.  It would make sense. 

That's it for now!  Remember I am praying for you every day, whether I say so or not.  (((Hugs)))

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather I agree with the person who commented on your Bible version - I think you would better serve those you are evangelizing if you handed out a more accessible version. The NIV is one I particularly like.

Heather Knits said...

Yeah, I used to have a college + reading level and I had trouble with the KJV. NIV is grade 7-8 level. I hand out NIRV Bibles to the kids, that is 3rd grade level. One of my drivers told me she took the Bible I gave her daughter and reads it herself, as it is finally understandable to her.

I won't hand out cult Bibles (Recovery, New World), but I'll hand out anything mainstream to my recipients. One sponsor felt so strongly about KJV he actually sent me a couple of cases. I handed them out, and I have to figure God will work on the recipients to help them read it, but I'd rather pass out something more digestible to begin with.

Anonymous said...

Funny how god couldn't write a version ALL people no matter what the time period could understand. Interesting.

Heather Knits said...

God had to give the translators something to do! I wonder what you would think of World Missionary Press. Google them.