Thursday, April 5, 2018

Greenspoint Bible Handout

The Greenspoint area has such a bad reputation Ron accompanied me to the Handout today. He was worried about my safety. When we got the venue, so to speak, I was teasing him. I reminded him of the neighborhood in California. "I don't see *any* crack pipes" I told him "Dirty needles, or used condoms. It isn't half as bad as the place in CA." And it was fine.
Ron rode in his cheap, rugged, wheelchair. The usual wheelchair he has is good for in the house but not so good in dealing with rough sidewalks, potholes, or high curbs. I hung the bag on the back of the wheelchair, with the sign, and Ron held the case of Bibles in his lap. He wondered aloud how long he would have to hold them. I told him, not long, just until we get to the venue . He was happy to hear it.
We had a good ride with a driver who teased us a little bit, it was nice. I was thrilled to find it was easier than expected to get Ron to the location, they had nice ramps and curb-cuts. I did have to bump him up on the median but I did it.
I gave him his small sign and unrolled my big sign. It was pretty slow at first. One young man waved me away, angrily, like a gnat when he saw me coming. I gave some to pedestrians, including one young woman with a teardrop tattoo (that means they have killed someone, I've been told). She was chatting with Ron about his favorite Bible verse and actually looked it up and read it for herself.
I had some nice-dressed women in cars, perhaps from the local office buildings (it was lunch) who accepted Bibles, and plenty more who said no thanks.
I had a guy on the sidewalk call me over. I went up to him. He asked me if I had a "good sized" Bible. I told him yes. I showed him the Bible and he liked it. He said he had trouble reading small print so I also gave him a large print Gospel of John I carry for just such an occasion.
I had some Spanish, thrilled to get it, but the neighborhood I saw was mostly young and black.
I was absolutely delighted when a carload of young black men, pulled up, clamoring for Bibles. Hands were sticking out of all the windows, wanting Bibles. Most of them were wearing red, which is a gang color. I kept feeding Bibles in through the window until they were all served. 5 Bibles in one shot
Then I had a carload of young white men, all wanting Bibles. I served them, too.
I tried to politely offer Bibles to passerby, some of them accepted, some of them didn't. I try not to be obnoxious. God is always training me. One lady was interested in a Bible, but really impressed when I told her I didn't take donations when I'm working. I think she will be more motivated to investigate now, knowing that.
Pretty soon they were all gone, except for one I missed that had some scuffs on the cover. I decided not to try to distribute that and called it done.
I took Ron's sign and rolled it up. Ron squashed the Bible box (holds 28 but I brought extra). We did it all in half an hour, according to Ron. Lunch, at that intersection, is a good spot.
Then we went out for a snack. Ron was very interested to hear about the chicken place so we got him some fried chicken. He loved it and ate 4 pieces. We called a cab to go home and had a good trip. The price was reasonable, too, just a couple dollars more than a ride to Walmart.
And now we're home. I'm already plotting the next Handout.
Please pray for the recipients!

I worked one intersection over from where the young man was killed, a few weeks ago.  I find his story very sad.  If someone had introduced him to Jesus than he would probably still be alive.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Heather! Glad to hear Ron went with you too.

Anonymous said...

Bibles do nothing to change the behavior of people. Case in point, Ron.

Heather Knits said...

He's not reading it! That's the problem! One thing I pray every day for Ron is that God give him the will and motivation to read the Bible. He doesn't, though, because it will convict him.

Anonymous said...

Bull. Reading the bible does nothing.

Heather Knits said...

It sure does for me! I would have suicided or killed Ron long ago without my faith. Probably both.