Thursday, April 26, 2018

A trip to Walmart

Yesterday, at dinner, Ron threw $40 at me across the table and told me to take a cab to Walmart.  Each trip (one way) costs about $14 so that's a decent tip for the driver. 

Most drivers would rather have $20+ trips, they hate the little ones. 

We came home, I did my blog, and went to bed.  Ron apparently missed a dose of his medication and was up all night in agony.  Lots of moaning and cries of pain. 

If I were a vindictive sort, I would have enjoyed it, as it was I just wished he would feel better so we could both get some sleep.  I tossed and turned all night, and finally got up at 8:30. 

I got on the computer for a while, and took my shower at 9:30.  Then I did my God Time.  Totally done at 11:22.   I got dressed and called the cab company. 

It works like this, you call the number, and, if you have used them before, it says "I have your address as ____.  If this is correct, press one."  It had my address correct so I did.  Within, I'd say, 10 minutes I had a ride to Walmart. 

It was a Spanish fellow, he was nice enough.  Op!  That reminds me, I need to order more Spanish Scripture booklets.  Done.  I got 75, that ought to hold me for a while. 

He dropped me off without any problems.  I got a cart and started shopping.  Item number one, I wanted to buy some Keratin shampoo.  I like what it does for my hair.  I am a little sick of the Moroccan stuff I have been using.  I like to have a couple of bottles of shampoo in rotation.  I have the clarifying "volume" formula, the Moroccan, and a cheap bottle of 2 in one I like to use on days when I am in a hurry (it rinses out faster than the other stuff).  I saw some, and thought about getting it, but then I saw "Rose oil shampoo".  I love roses, and their fragrance. . I had to take a sniff.  It was divine.  My hair would smell like roses all day long!  It was a volume formula. 

I'm one of the few people I know who likes her hair.  It is thick, wavy, I like the gray streaks.  It is a nice length to wear down on my shoulders, or in a ponytail.  I don't feel I need to "fix" any issues. 

I will say it's oily, if I don't wash it every day it can look pretty greasy.  So I needed something I would like to use every day.  I didn't need a volume formula.  Ideally it would have had a rose fragrance and a keratin formula, but rose + volume was fine.  It was $5.  I put it in the cart. 

Next item on the list, canned food.  I like to have a lot of canned food on hand.  I have an aging refrigerator that is making strange noises, so I don't want a lot of money tied up in perishables.  I got some stuff, including my comfort food: plain spaghettios.  I didn't get anything for Ron, even though I knew he wanted some Vienna Sausage.  I did call him and went to voicemail so I skipped buying them.  I only had about $100 so I didn't want to spend it all on him. 

I got some breakfast bars.  I can have them with milk in the morning and get my protein, without getting a migraine.  I like the Lara Bars.  They have very limited ingredients, like 3-4.  It's great.  No mysterious migraine triggers or unpronouncable ingredients. 

Drinks.  I had to be honest with myself.  I'm not drinking any more soda at home, I have most of  case of sparkling water for that.  But aspartame.  Did I want to get the powdered diet drink mixes, knowing they have aspartame?  I decided I did.  I got some lemonade.  I didn't get any tea because I have plain, decaf, unsweetened tea powder.  I make up 2 quarts every day. 

I stuck that in the cart, added it to my mental total, and moved on.  I got a gallon of whole, organic, milk.  It is more expensive but I like to think the cows are treated better, fed better, and the milk lasts way longer than conventional. 

I skipped the chips, but I did get a bag of pretzels (less than $1) in case I end up fiending for something salty.  I got a gallon of bleach because that's a good thing to have on hand, and I am almost out.   You get the idea, I did my shopping. 

It was nice not to have a deadline hanging over my head.  I did get one interesting thing.  #32 rubber bands.  Why, you may ask. 

Well, I use a lot of #64 rubber bands when times are good and we are taking money out of the vending machines.  It has to be rubber banded, you can't have it loose. 

But I was thinking about my New Testaments.  I have @ 100 New Testaments in a case.  I also have some custom bookmarks a guy made me, they are laminated with Bible verses.  Look this up if you are angry, etc. 

Long term readers will remember "Where to look in the New Testament".  That's what it is.  But if I put it in the New Testaments, they fall out.  I need to make them stay.  And I also like to put a tract into the New Testament, too.  But they fall out. 

Solution, #32 rubber bands.  I can put the tract and bookmark into the Bible, and then rubber band it so the material stays put.  It will be a little work, but something perfect to do when I'm a little manic. 

I also got soap flakes.  But Heather, you have an HE washer!  You can't use soap flakes in an HE!  That's right.  But I can use them in a bucket, to clean my Bible Handout bag, which is getting a little dingy.  Again, on one of those slightly manic "I need something to do" days. 

I was done.  I checked out.  I gave the cashier a bag of candy and a Bible Promise book.  I went to McDonald's and got a large vanilla shake and a double cheeseburger, only ketchup.  I ate my food, wishing I had brought my pills, but figured I had the other burger to eat later if I needed. 

I finished up and pushed my cart (I had 3 reusable tote bags, filled with my stuff) outside, and called Yellow.  Now, if you are not at the address they have in the computer, you have to press 0 and talk to an operator.  So I did.  I asked her to make sure she put "only has 3 bags" in my notes.  I know a lot of drivers hate Walmart trips because the client has so.  many.  bags. 

I was worried.  One Sunday, you may remember, I went to Walmart and waited over two and a half hours for a cab.  It was awful.  I ended up calling Chuck to come get me. 

But it was a weekday, and I had told them I only had 3 things.  Sure enough, I got a ride in, again, about 10 minutes. 

It was a nice Spanish lady who helped me put my stuff up.  We had some trouble with language, so she handed her phone back and had me input my address into her GPS program.  That worked.  We got home and she got a nice tip.  She even helped me carry my stuff into the garage. 

I went in and started putting stuff away.  I was most worried about the milk, my only perishable item.  Well, and the hamburger.  I can eat that tomorrow night. 

I put the canned stuff on the empty shelf I had cleared out, and put almost everything away.  Not sure where I'm going to put the soap flakes.  I don't want to put them in the laundry room "lest" I forget they are not for my washer, and use them.  The rubber bands can go in the case of Bibles. 

Once I got all that I went and said Hi to Ron, who was awake.  Then I took a nap because, like I said, I got NO sleep last night. 

I slept for about an hour and a half, kind of fitful because I had a lot of diet soda today.  But I got a little rest. 

When I got up I talked to Ron about tomorrow and did a load of laundry.  It's working right now.  Now I'm trying to remember if I put the detergent pak in the washer.  Yes, I did. 

Ron is feeling better.  He is talking about getting an adjustable bed.  "Not a hospital bed".  A hospital bed would be ideal for him, actually, but he has to clear out 14 years' worth of stuff from under his current bed. 

His old mattress is utterly trashed.  It's almost 20 years old, too.  He has a nice steel bed base, so we got rid of the box spring.  It has more room underneath.  I have one of those bed bases on my bed and it's amazing what I can fit under there.  My Ikea mattress has been very confortable, it only cost about $200 for a queen. 

I had a headache when I woke up, but the Excedrin did the job  Mostly.  I can't remember a time in my life where I didn't have a lot of headaches.  I know I used to get less, but medication.  And I have to take my medication. 

Oh, some cat drama.  Biscuit was eating the dry food I keep on the floor (to make it more accessible for Torbie).  Torbie showed up and began sniffing him intently.  Then she bit his tail.  He turned around and raised a paw to her, and she gave a mighty hiss.  He went back to eating and things settled down. 

I didn't give Biscuit any wet food today because he didn't touch it yesterday.  I am not opening up cans of cat food to throw away.  I'm just not.  He likes his dry, he can eat that.  I know my vet says I should feed more wet, but he's not eating it.  So I won't.  Not for a while. 

They really like the Blue Grain Free Salmon.  I'll feed that.  I also feed freeze dried fish treats to the girls, Biscuit won't touch them.  Biscuit really isn't a "treat" cat.  He isn't interested.  He wants dry food.  As long as he has his dry he is a happy boy. 

The cats didn't sleep with me last night, or during my nap today.  I guess they could tell I wasn't going to get a good night's sleep anyway. 

So, I did it.  I went and did my main shopping excursion by myself and didn't get ditched at the Walmart.  Hopefully I will build a good reputation as "Heather 999-9999" and people will be eager to take my trips.  I like to think I'm a pretty good tipper and I give candy, too. 

Everyone but the diabetics are into that. 


No comments: