Monday, April 19, 2010

The Jolly Muslim

Thank God for living in America, and the freedom to type this blog entry! I am a Born-Again Christian. I have done my research, and I have studied many of the "alternatives".

I tease my husband when he talks to the Jehovah's Witness at work - "You're not going to convert, are you?" We both grin. I came home one day and found my husband literally surrounded by Mormons - it's a funny story now. I even read a Book of Mormon, just to see what they were selling. Gack. I understand a little about the followers of Budda. I have studied the Hindus and the Muslims, as well.

Which brings me to the point. Remember the old Robin Hood movies? They used to show Friar Tuck as a big jolly fellow, a glutton, a lover of wine and good humor. He always reminded me a little of Santa, until, at the end of the Robin Hood movie, he married Robin and Marian. Other Sci-Fi movies had the "Priest" - wearing his dark robes. He could be either a good guy, bad guy, wimp, neutral, or monster food eaten in the first reel. Then, it was the theme of the atheist - the person or whole culture that vehemently denied the existence of God. They stated their hopeless philosophy again and again.

Now, it's the typecast character I'll call "The Jolly Muslim". What I find disturbing about this fellow isn't how he's typecast - it's the amount of indoctrination he's able to do in his role. For instance, in a movie I just watched not only did I hear the "If God wills it" philosophy, in addition to him stating the phrase again and again in Arabic, I got to hear the battle cry heard on 9-11. I learned how I should position my body as I pray, and how often I should do it. They showed the fellow at prayer at least 3 times that I recall, in the course of a 4 hour movie.

I find that deeply disturbing. I can't recall the last time I saw a mainstream, much less Sci-fi, movie that showed how a person could get Born-again (admit you are a sinner, ask Jesus to forgive your sins, and tell Him you want to make Him the Boss of your life). When was the last time you saw mainstream footage of a likeable person praying, and reading their Bible? More than once? Were they permitted to speak of their relationship with Jesus? Yet, I can learn the Muslim prayer rituals, philosophy, and battle cry.

I would hope that being born-again, I have the Holy Spirit, literally a part of God, living in my body. I like to think it makes me sensitive to important "religious" issues, and boy did I hear Him screaming the whole movie. Our media is turning the Muslim from the terror attack fellow, to the Jolly Muslim, laughing, eating, and indoctrinating his way through the entire movie. I notice he didn't get killed, either.

A Christian has a simple choice in many parts of the world. They grab you, and they give you a choice: convert (saying 2 sentences, in their book, will turn you into a Muslim); or die. The choice is simple. Many Christians convert, many Christians choose to say no, and die.

I am an evangelist, I am called by God to spread His word. I have never even ASKED someone to "convert". I hand them the Scripture and let God to the "converting". I'm just a tool to get information into the right hands, at the right time. I'm the soul that sends up prayers for everyone I meet, my blog readers, and everyone God's called me to reach.

I have never demanded someone convert. If they refused Jesus, I would cry for them; I wouldn't kill them. I would pray for them, because Jesus calls us to LOVE our enemies.

Allah? From what I've read, it's about hating and killing their enemies. I will not have that book in my home, but I have read, and have literature about Islam. I'm not speaking from ignorance.

The Jolly Muslim typecast scares the HELL out of me, and I think he should scare everyone. The frightening thing for me, is that I can, offhand, recall at least 4 Science Fiction movies I've seen recently with Jolly Muslims. I find that disturbing.

One last comment: how do they treat their women? Christian men are called to love and cherish their wives, as Christ loved the cherished the Church. He was willing to die for us; therefore Christian men should love their wives with a sacrificial love. We are loved, respected and valued.

That's not what happens with the other guys. I will point this out - the Jolly Muslim in the movie is always a man. The woman? They're wrapped up like a mummy, living in complete isolation and totally repressed. I've seen the women in the getup at the grocery store - they can't even SHOP alone.

No comments: