Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Crosstown

I think it is safe to say that I do not live in Southwest Houston. It is a long ride to get there, for me.

Ron offered to make a trip for me, to go to Whole Foods. I suggested we could take the wheelchair and go to the House of Pies afterward. We had a very long ride to get there - over an hour.

We encountered that odd lady in our subdivision, who insists she CANNOT ride in the backseat. Either the front seat passenger HAS to move, or she won't ride. The driver said, I guess you're not riding, because we can't force people to move. I don't feed Drama Queens. Note: She can call Metrolift and tell them "I can only ride in the big van" and they will put a code in the computer. I find them offensive because the husband said "I won't ride next to HIM!" - referring to MY HUSBAND. He is not rabid. He is not an animal. He is a person with thoughts and feelings and I am VERY protective of him. I don't care what anyone calls me (hugs to anonymous hater), but I do object to people insulting my husband. Ron? He found it funny and made wild animal noises when they shut the door. [snort]

We moved on. We picked up two other nice ladies, and dropped one off. Then, Whole Foods. Ron's a good sport. I had my tote bag slung on the back of the wheelchair. Ron had his talking book machine in his lap, and held a basket. I pushed him around the store.

I got some unsweetened carob chips (and have eaten too many today), and we selected a good trail mix for Ron. He got a couple pounds of it. I got some more of the shower gels and shampoo. I love them both - the shower gel is lovely and fragrant, the shampoo is cleansing and non-drying. I'm at that weird stage where I can't have anything too drying, but my skin and hair are oily.

I had some tiny sample bottles of the citrus and the lavender - loved them. Now I have one quart each shower gel and shampoo, in both fragrances. Happily, I can refill my small bottles and put them in my hospital bag.

What a depressing thought - the hospital bag. Always ready to go to the hospital, with comfortable clothes and underwear for a stay at Ron's bedside. It also has books and tea.

So, I got them. That was my main objective. I also got a smaller bottle of lavender lotion. It was well within the budget and will last me forever!

I was happy. We checked out, after I threw a few cans of Stevia sweetened soda in the basket. Um. Not great, but drinkable.

Then I loaded up the stuff into my backpack (I didn't want fragrant items in with the Driver Candy), and pushed Ron over to the House of Pies. They have done a lot of work on the streets and it was very simple. We had the chopped steak breakfast. $7.50. It was very good, well seasoned and charbroiled. I gave all the starches to Ron, and had some sugarfree apple pie (no crust) for dessert. It was good.

We had plenty of time to eat and then I pushed him back to Whole Foods. We waited a few minutes and there's the ride.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a spiritual battle. The fact that the driver had "Watchtower" magazines in the magazine holders in the backseat area, kind of enhanced that. Ron was witnessing - it was a bit STIFF. The guy was so obviously NOT HEARING what Ron had to say, but Ron was gonna say it!

I try to be sensitive to Holy Spirit leading, as I've said. I have encountered some people online who act like you have to stuff Jesus down everyone's throat or they are going to hell. I am more inclined to believe that God draws people to him; and my job is to, when led, hand out a Bible with some candy. That's my interpretation of my "spiritual mission" on Earth.

Anyway, MY leading said "Put the Driver Candy on his cooler, while he's loading the wheelchair." That's what I did. I know he saw it. It's up to him now, and Him.

Amazingly, we had a straight trip home. That was wonderful. I got home and took a nap, Ron ran an errand by himself. Tomorrow, a couple hours at work and then I go get my teeth cleaned.

6 comments:

you have GOT to be kidding me said...

Metrolift had to take you to buy SHOWER GEL? They're going to be very interested to hear about this.

Ginny said...

Heather ~ So glad you and Ron had a good day out today!

You are such a good writer and I enjoy reading your blog...ALOT! I don't like when things are bad with you and Ron or when other bad things happen to you though.

{{{HUGS}}}
Ginny

P.S. If this shows up twice, sometimes I have a hard time figuring this out! LOL

Anonymous said...

Why are you right and "Watchtower" is wrong? I hold in suspicion anyone who claims to know their way is the only way. It is exactly this "I am right, you are wrong" kind of thinking that leads to conflict and wars in this world. Such a shame when love is the answer.

Her Boudoir said...

Hiyas Heather! Just wanted to give you a wave hello from a LCF :-)

Glad to see you're hanging in there.

~Sue~

Heather Knits said...

1. Ron wanted Whole Food's trail mix, Anonymous. The fact I was already going was the clincher. He got 3 pounds of trail mix AND a good meal at the House of Pies. Chopped steak, if you're interested.

2. Considering that Metrolift was letting ANYONE ride, without even checking ID - up to a few months ago, when a woman riding under a man's name DIDN'T HAVE A TICKET... [snort] I don't think they care that the ____'s had a nice little date crosstown. They are very busy weeding out "no tickets".

3. Ron is a do-er. He shows his love by actions - like riding in his wheelchair crosstown so we could have a nice little date out. I took it in the spirit it was given.

Why do you care anyway? You are so outraged! Why does it bother you that a physically disabled man, and a woman with "mental" disabilties, went on a date?

Most people would die of boredom reading that. I'm baffled.

If you were to call Metrolift and tell them that Ron took me out, they would keep you on hold for half an hour, laugh, and hang up.

We go to Starbucks, too. They don't care. In fact, it's a running joke with the drivers.

Heather Knits said...

I forgot about the JW thing - I don't dislike them. I don't agree with them. Short version: I believe Jesus is the Son of God. They don't. The Bible says if someone denies that Jesus, the son of God, came to Earth in the flesh, was crucified, died, rose and went back to Heaven, then we shouldn't associate with them. That's out of the Bible (see 1 John and 2 Corinthans Chapter 11)

They are not wrong. They are in conflict with my Bible. My Bible says avoid them.

Also, once you are in, they get your whole life revolving around them. I know a JW at work. Everything he does is related to promoting them. Most people would see me as fairly "radical" handing out my Bibles, but people are free to reject them. I only spend a couple hours a day on my faith.

Also, I don't like that "I guess we'll let you shut the door to your own home" attitude when they come bang on my door. It's MY house. I don't bang on anyone's door and get an attitude.

I hand out Bibles to anyone who'll take them, and leave things between them and God after that.

Hi Ginny and Sue! Sue, that is the cutest lovebird ever!