Saturday, April 10, 2010

When others let me down - transportation

Before I start, I want to say that overall I have good trips. We are very-well liked clients on the paratransit service. I had one lady remark to me that I had given her home-made cookies a few years previously. It is not extreme to say people find us likeable.

This morning, I woke up early. We had a trip to the grocery store planned, with an 8:40 pickup. After I got out of the shower, Ron confirmed that by 1. Checking the computer and 2. Talking to someone. I went off to do my Bible study. Halfway through my prayer list, an hour before our pickup time, I hear loud banging on the door, like the Police want to make an arrest or we owe someone money.

I walk up and look out the window. A Metrolift Yellow Cab's in the street, and a driver is banging on the door. I look at the clock - 7:50. He is an hour early, so why is he carrying on like this?

I open the door, and tell him "Our pickup is not for another hour." He gets a massive attitude and acts very annoyed. I should mention, here, that the driver is paid about $20 an hour, by the hour, and works 12 hour days. Many times a driver has come early and I've found them asleep in the locked vehicle, chatting on a cell phone, reading a book, or they go and have an extra lunch break. I jokingly tell him "You don't want him in your cab naked, do you?" He gets all pruney-faced and stomps off down the driveway, a real feat because he is well over 300 pounds.

Ron called Metrolift and verified our pickup time. Not only that, they say they'll let him know not to bother us. A while later, properly medicated and ready to go, I walk by the front window and pick up my backpack. I see a flash outside and watch the cab drive away. Somehow, he got a dispatcher to cancel the trip, even though our pickup wasn't scheduled for another 10 minutes.

Of course, since they cancelled the trip they couldn't get anyone else to us in time. We have another trip planned, to Starbucks, at 11. It just wouldn't have worked, and I would rather go to Starbucks than the grocery store anyway.

I told Ron, forget the grocery store. I guess we'll go tomorrow! Frankly, I'm glad we didn't have to ride with that guy. Someone who gets so angry and upset, when HE is in the wrong, would and I'm sure IS a HORRIBLE driver. I don't want to trust him with my safety, much less Ron's! We have enough problems in our life without an accident!

Who knows? Like I told Ron, maybe some "germ factory" is at the grocery store today. I am thanking God I didn't have to ride with that creep. He gets paid by the hour! I would love to get paid an hour's pay for doing whatever I wanted!

No comments: