Thursday, April 1, 2010

I am almost sorry I lost the weight

Metrolift tends to rotate the drivers, so they don't get burned out on one particular client or area. Generally, it's about 6 months in each of 5-6 quadrants. Say we are in the WX area. The driver rotates to WY, WZ, YY, YZ, ZZ. It can be a year or two before I see the same driver again.

Ron and I average about 5 trips a day. Hundreds of drivers; so it can be a while.

I find it funny when I get a driver who goes "The last time I saw you, you had long hair" - I cut my hair in 2008, I think. I've also lost about 65 pounds, and a LOT of bulk.

I feel complimented when I consider my aunt's phrase "You're solid, Heather. You're not flabby at all". I have some muscle weight, I find that good. I do know I'm far, far, healthier than I was back in early 2008, before I restarted Atkins!

Which brings me to my new, ongoing, problem. The driver gets so EXCITED that I have lost the weight. How did I do it? I tell them, I did Atkins.

Generally that is greeted with a baffled look. I begin to explain the basics of a low-carb lifestyle. Here are some of the responses I get:

"So, you only eat vegetables?" No, but I eat a lot more than I used to.
"You only eat chicken, then." I HATE chicken!
"You must not eat any red meat." I generally laugh at this one, and say about a pound + a day.
"Do you eat a lot of fish?" Not unless you count a can of tuna every month or so.
"You must eat a lot of whole grains" Not a speck, they make me ill.
"You can't eat sausage and lose weight!" I tell them I can easily eat a pound a day.
"Juices are OK, right?" Ay yi yi.

Today topped it ALL. I had a guy, diabetic, on dialysis, literally spitting with rage when I told him I was on Atkins. He kept ranting about how my brain needed carbs for energy (fat is the brain's preferred fuel), I would get sick eating low-carb, etc. I finally said "I did this for my health, and I'm very healthy. I've been doing this for years, and YOU'RE the one on dialysis!" I never believed someone could sputter to a stop, but he did.

Sadly, he is not the first kidney-failed diabetic to tell me I was killing myself. The other guy shut up about a year ago, when I had easily dropped 40 pounds and literally glowed with health. Him? He's a little worse, every time I see him.

Now, some people can't go low-carb. You really do need to get a checkup and make sure everything's working.

But I have given up "telling" people how to do Atkins. They have a bad tendency of taking the information, adding it to all the disinformation out there, and coming up with a complaint like I heard this week:
I did your plan and I'm gaining weight. I only eat whole grains and fruit. Very little fat. I put on 10 pounds.

I NEVER told anyone to do that! I can't tell you how many times a driver has confided they are trying to go vegetarian. I shudder.

Today really clinched it for me; I told the driver a little about Atkins and strongly suggested he buy the book. He will.

So, I will ask the driver if they are willing to spend $10 to learn my secret. When they say yes, I'll tell them to buy the book.

No comments: