Thursday, April 29, 2010

A burden shared

It's safe to say that my social networks are rife with gossip. I don't mind, I find it oddly comforting to know that everyone knows my business.

Recently, someone I respect referred to Ron as an "Alcoholic" - twice, to his face. I don't believe Ron "heard" the guy. He would have gotten very defensive if he had. I stood there, looking at the guy, and thinking "Thank You!".

I am truly grateful. The worst of my problems have always come from the feeling of solitude, as if my problems had me locked away in some dark prison. "A burden shared is a burden halved", and while no one other than Jesus can really carry my burden, or say much to help, it is so nice to know that they KNOW.

My first-line network is pretty rife with denial regarding all things alcohol. I know they have heard him, drunk, in the background during phone calls. Oh, so very careful not to mention anything about it! Any of us! "Don't talk about it". I told them about the horrible incident in December, where the mixture of pills and alcohol led to a spectacular blackout; and me taking a cab to work at 3 in the morning. He didn't surface for almost a whole day, and I really wondered if he was lying at home, in an alcoholic coma.

I have prayed about it, and God has let me know it's HIS problem - God's. God will deal with Ron. One day Ron will have a problem that will bring his drinking to light. Maybe he'll fall and break something - although he seems to be pretty rubbery when he does fall, drunk. I have told him, if that happens, I will call 911 and send him off to the hospital with a note pinned to his chest. He knows I will be there for him, but if he injures himself due to his own stupidity then he's going to be alone.

I imagine, on some level, I "ought" to be outraged that someone talked to this guy. I didn't say "It's OK to tell Larry", but thank God he did.

I don't realize how isolated I feel, until someone acknowledges "it" and brings up that word: Alcoholic. I have had 3 close associates confirm it now.

He's on the phone right now, slurring his words. He wonders why someone isn't calling him back.

Thank you for calling my husband an alcoholic. I needed the support. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

No comments: