Thursday, April 1, 2010

Going where I'm sent

Today was not much like I expected. Some of it is fairly predictable; going to work, the "usual" milkman dramas (I know I'm in trouble when the driver wants to know when I leave), a couple of trips on Metrolift. Last night I bagged up over a dozen Bibles with candy to hand out.

Most of the day went well, I was able to give my hairdresser a Bible and a Vietnamese scripture booklet. The first time I've EVER heard someone say "Oh, keep the candy, I just want the Bible!" [grin] I also, incidentally, got my hair cut. Right now it's all crunchy from styling product but I'm sure it's fine.

So, I went on my way, running my errands, handing out the Bibles and candy. Metro bus has apparently credited me with a few free rides on my farecard. That was nice!

The neighbor kids just broke another board on the fence. I wonder if they'd care if they knew a new fence runs about $15 a linear foot. I do know this, WHEN the fence goes down the parents are paying their fare share of the fence. I actually caught one kid deliberately breaking boards off the fence!

I don't get the fascination with the yard; but we're paying too much to let little kids go running through, getting into trouble and peeping in our windows. Uh-uh.

Oh well. It doesn't do any good to get upset. I do find it interesting - I really think the Devil sends them to play their uproar games outside my window, right when I'm trying to do my Bible study!

Back to my day. So, I got off to run my last errand. While at this Christian bookstore, I met a very strange woman who said she does evangelism, too. Apparently part of it is some game asking people if they have ever sinned... she said she doesn't hand out many Bibles.

Now, God's called me to an unusual task - handing out Bibles and Driver candy to (mainly) service professionals and the odd street evangelism outing where I hand out Bibles to passing cars. [shrug] He needs me for that - I'm happy to do His work.

If someone else wants to talk to others, that's good. Someone may be called to anonymous tract distribution, or sticking a tract in with a check when paying a bill. Excellent! Some are called to serve others, and THEN to witness.

Personally, I think our (Ron's & mine) role is what I'd call life witness. They look at Ron, every reason in the world to be down. Me, I can't even drive - for the average that would be huge, but I was NEVER able to drive. We have disabilities. We have "problems". Yet one comment I constantly hear, "Heather, you're so upbeat (bubbly)"! "You're always in such a good mood! You're so POSITIVE!" Then they ask us why - and we tell them, we're with Jesus. He carries our burdens for us.

In the meantime, I'm handing out Driver Candy and Bibles, too. We talk about the good things God has done for us, and how He can turn a "disability" into a special tool for His kingdom. That's very cool; I'm glad I can do this.

I'm also happy doing whatever God has called me to do. I have problems with being territorial about "my" property, I tend to be judgemental, and sometimes I wonder why God even wants to bother with someone. He's working on that.

One thing I'd never do, however, is tell someone what to do. Especially if God has called them; it's not for anyone of us to tell another how to serve God. Some may be called to work with the homeless (My Dad and Sister have that one nailed), some may be called to minister to professional drivers (Ron and I) and cashiers.

Hopefully, one day we'll all see how God could use us; so when my handcart had a dramatic "fail" under the load of my super-sale soda purchase, and I had to call a cab, I just figured God REALLY needed the driver (and his wife, who was in the backseat behind me) to get a Bible. I also made a little deposit and gave the teller some driver candy "The deposit you can EAT!"

Who knows what kind of domino effect those simple acts may have started? Some wonderous cascade of salvation and dedication to God's service. I hope so.

Either way, I go where I'm sent.

No comments: