Friday, April 23, 2010

Boy, today was a real faith-building exercise

I got up early, got my shower and all. Ron was still a little foggy today - so interesting, the similaries between our medications! I hope and pray, literally, that I am as supportive as possible.

Oh, and Anonymous, you don't have to do 10 million different names. I don't ban comments based on the user name, I open it, read it, and reject or publish that way. Stay Anonymous. I still love you ((((hugs)))). I would really miss you if you didn't post.

We went to the warehouse and got some supplies. Ron wanted canned juice drinks (wince) and I needed more Sun Chips (wince). I did look at bagged peanuts for Driver Candy - but I am still debating if I should hand out something salty, like a peanut. I would like to distribute a "healthy" snack, something a diabetic can eat, and something a driver can eat while driving that won't make them too thirsty. I think crackers are out on the diabetic issue, and also the thirst one, as well. I like the concept of peanuts, but if you have an opinion I'd like to hear it. If you were in the mood for a healthy snack, with a Scripture booklet, tract, and/or Bible, would peanuts work? Granola bar? But then doesn't that double back to the diabetic thing? And the thirst? [shrug] That's where I stand. Opinions, please!

So, I got some candy [wince] in addition to the other stuff. I put it all in my tote bag. We got hot dogs, I got a bunless and Ron got his with the bun. I doctored it the way he likes and got him the "Orange Crap" soda (my name). I got myself a Diet Suicide (half Diet Dr, half Diet Coke). Tasty.

The ride was right on time, and from what I remember a nice straight trip. A lot of morning traffic - when I'm out around 7-9 AM I find it easy to believe Houston's home to 4 million people.

We got to work, I yelled Hi at the other vendor as he left. Then, stocking all the new stuff.

Ron got aggravated at a naughty coin mech and yelled at me. I got very offended and was nursing my oh-so-delicate ego [blowing raspberry]. Oh, woe is me! [snort] I can laugh now - I think it's very important to laugh at myself on a regular basis. Anyway, the short version is: 2 of the snack machines do not have an accurate computer vs. coin mech tally. They think they have more or less than they do. If the computer thinks the tubes are full, then it will reject the coins if you try to add them the proper way (Ron's source of annoyance). In that case, you have to use the backdoor method and just put them manually into the stacks until full.

Later on, I gave him my official diagnosis "Ron, Snack One doesn't like you." I have a very vague theory about the machines; they have some kind of sentience. They know if you like them or not, and behave accordingly. I often point to the oldest snack machine in the State of Texas - it's about my age (ancient!), and still working well. Why? I praise it regularly. I praise all the machines regularly, and believe on some level they "hear" me.

Is that in complete conflict with my Born-Again views? I don't think so. Jesus will tell me one day, but I'm not worshipping them - just thanking the machines for performing well.

Anyway, Ron semi-apologized later. I had to ask God to take the bitterness out of my heart, put forgiveness INTO my heart, and to put His thoughts in my head, words in my mouth, and love in my heart. I cannot be a "good person" on my own. I absolutely need Jesus, living in me, to be even halfway decent! It worked. I stopped feeling so resentful and haughty.

We got it all done. Our pickup was late but it worked out; and it was one of our favorite drivers. Ron and I really like her. A long ride, but we eventually got to our destination.

Lunch was good, the pickup was late, and the guy had a lot of issues. I really didn't appreciate the whole thing of "Boy, I'm going you SUCH A FAVOR. You were WAY OUT OF THE WAY." Newsflash - Metrolift drivers are paid by the HOUR, not the trip. Even though I was outside waving, obvious that he saw me, he made a big point of driving past until I had to chase him down.

Not professional! The whole cab REEKED of this horrible cologne. I was very queasy today; and I told the driver "I need the window down if I'm going to ride."

Oh, Anonymous, if you had been in this vehicle you would have agreed completely! It was GHASTLY. He said "Oh, that's my [name brand] cologne. It keeps things fresh."

[I'm laughing so hard I might need one of those wetsy pads I got for the cat] FRESH! Oh, it was TOXIC. It was FELONY bad.

The guy had gone to Starbucks. I don't care. I did care that, every time he reached for the drink, he veered out of the lane! I did some quick prayer! I was really worried for our safety.

Then [rolleyes] the guy wants to play "Therapist" with us, and unload all his problems on us. Neither Ron or I, both gagging, felt like "Playing". If someone we know has some problems, we are happy to listen. I know all about N's drug addict daughter, his other daughter lost her trailer, and S's son was killed by a drunk driver. But this guy was telling us "I used to embalm people" - knowing I am sick to my stomach already... UGH.

I had the thought in my head "Don't bother complaining, he won't be here long." He is not safe. I hope not. I don't mind if the cab reeks, or the seat is filthy with mystery stains (every cab - so I wear bermudas). I don't care if the client in the backseat, who is "limted" is pleasuring himself while patting my husband's leg. I don't care if the client has a strong odor. I don't care if the driver is on the phone (but Metrolift will instantly fire anyone who does so), or wants me to tell them how to get on at the Post Office. I don't mind if they're angry and ranting about a dispatcher. I don't care if they ask me if I have any candy, because they're getting some kind of Jesus with it. I don't mind paying to take the toll road. But I do mind if they are unsafe.

"Sorry" won't fill the vending machines if I'm out for the count.

2 comments:

Cryssi said...

Heather, I personally would not do peanuts simply because of the possibility of nut allergies. They tend to be very common these days, unfortunately.

I have no other suggestions for you though, sorry!

You are a sweetheart to do this though! =)

Heather Knits said...

Well, I did get some little bottles of water to hand out. I like them. I want something that can run around in my tote bag without getting mashed, won't melt, and is low-carb and appealing. I may stick with the nuts, if anyone is allergic I am sure they'll holler "NO Thanks!" when they see 'em. I have some gallon ziplocks, so I can put a New Testament, bag of nuts, and a bottle of water all together. The granola bars had hideous amounts of sugar.

Sometimes God lays it on me to offer the sugar free snacks/bibles to other clients, which I'm happy to do. If I feel God's led me to do it, they are always really grateful. I only had one problem and that's when she wanted to pay me. :)