Sunday, February 4, 2024

Handout Update

 There is a definite correlation at work with even MENTIONING evangelism and blowback from the bosses; and they follow me on FB so no update there.  

I was actually pretty depressed this morning thinking about the logistics of taking the cart to the bus stop, church, back to bus stop, doing the Handout, going to the grocery store after, and then home.  I also tend to catch a lot of flack one way or another in my personal life after doing a Handout.  No lie I am not looking forward to that.  

But yesterday I did up 50 "Invitation" New Testaments with tracts and a personal note for each, written on an index card in fun inks, saying I would be praying for them daily.  I think the personal note is very important because sometimes it's the old "Stick the hand out the window, how many, put the Bibles in their hand, light changes before I can say anything and they zip off into eternity" thing which actually happened several times today.  

I find it hysterical when someone drives right up with the window down and sticks out a hand.  I ask "How many?" and serve them, then they zip off as I try to shout I'll be praying, after them.  

So I had the English all done up and boxed in my cart.  I went in my Spanish box and realized I only had 8 or so but I brought them (and handed them all out!).  I had the big sign and the little sign which I set up on my cart facing the opposite direction.  I call it "Ron" "You can be Ron today" because Ron used to do that when he'd come with, face the "other" way and wave the little sign.  

I wore my church dress because I was going to church.  It is a knee length long sleeved looser fitting black dress.  I wore it over black leggings for modesty and also because it was windy and chilly to start - stayed windy all day though.  

I wore my black work sneakers.  

I got to the bus stop OK and got to church, parked my cart where they told me I could and went to the service.  After the service I left and went to the bus stop.  The bus came pretty quick.  

I was a little uncertain of my stop because I never go to De Soto (and Antoine) from the south, where my church is located.  But I found the stop (the storage place makes a great landmark) and pulled the bell.  

I felt like I "should" work my usual spot on the north side of the intersection.  Here's a good article about the general tone of the neighborhood; it's old but still valid.  

Houston Chronicle link on De Soto and Antoine

But I wanted to work the south side for a bit, did that, not a speck of interest.  I went over to the north side, under the big oak tree, and tremendous interest.  It was pretty slow the first hour or so I would hand out a single here and there but enough to keep me working.  

The gang that hangs out in front of 6002 Antoine was there as always; I pretended not to see them and they pretended not to see me.  I didn't see any of the hookers from years past I guess the police did crack down on that.  

I was comfortable, I was standing on the ground, not concrete, and I was partially shaded by the oak tree.  I could move in and out of the shade as I wished.  

I had several cars just drive up and stick out a hand like I mentioned that was fun.  I also had several older "Church lady" types dressed up, wanting Bibles.  I had one lady crossing the street with her daughter, looked at me with extreme distaste, said she already had a Bible.  I have no problem giving someone another Bible.  

No one laughed at me this time (grin) and only one lady tried to give me money.  I told her to buy a Walmart employee a candy bar and she said she would.  

I had a group of people at the southbound bus stop watching me as they waited.  One of them waved me over, I gave her a Bible.  The other people looked at it and individually decided they all wanted one, too, so I kept running back and forth every time they called!  I did about 5 that way.  It was pretty funny, they kept yelling!   

It took me a while to find my favorite translation. Maybe the version they have isn't working for them.  I had a Metrolift (Paratransit) van driver ask me for King James she was thrilled I had it.  I don't know what she thought I was handing out but I get consistent interest in "Old" King James to keep it as a tool in my bag every time I do a Handout.  I also had a more modern translation and I was letting people choose.  

And yes, I make an absolute ASS out of myself on a handout with my big loud sign, my neon orange "garment of praise" safety t shirt, my antics waving at the drivers, but it is worth it to me if someone gets snatched out of hell.  

I had some young black guys walk up asking for Bibles and I was happy to give them.  I had an older man, some sort of immigrant but I couldn't tell what country, ask for a few.    He hastened to assure me HE was a believer but he knew people who weren't.  I squeezed his hand when I told him I'd be praying.  

I had several harried young moms wanted several Bibles each so EVERYONE in the family had their own Bible, I thought that was really cute and sweet, and obliged happily.  One little girl was whining or a Bible.  I thought it was great - get her while she is still open to God, before society tells her He's dead or worse, a sadist.  

I was out there for about 2 hours and felt totally safe.  I was wary and alert of the gang but they didn't bother me.  I don't think they would unless I was obviously selling drugs or taking pictures.  I have been there, off and on, for several years so they know of me if they haven't seen me before.  

I ran out of Bibles about the time I got hungry, so I went to the taco truck.  I had heard very good reviews.  The gang was there (the literal gang) of young men buying takeout but I didn't have any issues.  They got their food and left, I got my food and ate it at the bus stop.  It was very good.  

That's it for now!  

No comments: