Friday, October 19, 2018

Samosa and Lands End

I didn't sleep well, the night before last.  I kept waking up with a bad headache.  I had to take a couple of doses of Excedrin just to get through the night. 

After we got up, Ron took me to Walmart.  I finally go my pills.  I chatted with the tech about the shortage and she said it was worrying.  A lot of patients will not, like me, go to Doc and ask for something else. 

I did some shopping (I had a little time) and bought Ron the stuff he wanted, mainly pineapple.  I finally remembered to buy him some granola bars.  A couple of times we have been out and he tells me he's hungry.  I always ask him why he didn't eat at home: I wasn't hungry.  So I got some Salted Caramel nut protein bars.  I have not mentioned the word "protein" at all to Ron, and I won't. 

I bought a few things for me and paid.  I found Ron and gave him one of his "granola" bars.  He loved it.  Good.  Last night I caught him getting into the back of the wheelchair for more.  He ate a total of 3 yesterday.  I warned him they have some fiber but that didn't faze him. 

Taking his pain pills, he could probably use some fiber. 

We got picked up and went to work, did our inventory, and stocked.  We got home pretty late and I took a nap.  I had a headache all day but the Excedrin kept it at a manageable level. 

I took a nap, woke up feeling better.  I had done some research and found local "good" coats could cost half a month's pay.  I didn't want to spend that. 

Years ago (1998) I bought Ron a Squall parka from Land's End.  He worked in San Francisco and commuted every day.  He wore his coat every day of the year and it held up very well.  We brought it to Houston and he wore it every winter. 

He was wearing it January 7, 2003, when he got run over, and I noticed something interesting when they finally let me near him, at the hospital.  He had road rash everywhere (he was dragged down the street for a couple of blocks, he apparently got caught on the rear view mirror), on his feet, his legs (very bad on his legs), his hands, and his head.  But nothing on the areas covered by the coat.  Even being destroyed, the coat managed to protect him.  That impressed me.  That's a tough coat. 

So I naturally thought of the coat again.  My great grandmother (adoptive) told me once if the squirrel has a bushy tail, it's going to be a very cold winter.  The squirrels have bushy tails.  Not only that, even the Farmer's Almanac is saying it's going to be a cold winter.  Plus we are travelling out of town.  We are going to need some coats. 

I figured I might as well look. So I did.  With a discount, it would be a little over $100.  I didn't think I would find a good coat for Ron for less than that, in Houston.  I ordered it.  It wiped out my petty cash but he needs a coat.  His old coat is uncomfortable for him.  I bought it for him at a thrift shop and he says the arms are too tight.  He hates it. 

He knows the Land's End coat and loved it when he had it.  So that will work for him.  It should handle anything we encounter this winter. 

What about me?  I've been wearing cheap jackets that don't really work, or a hoodie.  I will order myself a plus side coat (they sell them) when I make a deposit and have some actual money in the account.  I have money in the account but it's for Bibles so I'm not spending that - ever - unless it's on Bibles. 

Both coats should arrive well before our trip.  www.landsend.com

Glad I did it. 

Then we went out to dinner, Indian food.  Ron had eaten leftovers and wasn't hungry, but I got him to take a couple of bites.  One of chicken in sauce, one of pan bread in sauce.  That is so good. 

We had a good cab ride home and went to bed.  Woke up with yet another headache (I am guessing it is the pan bread - wheat seems to be a headache trigger lately), took some Excedrin.  I was going to go to the bank and make my deposit but I feel too crappy to do it.  Once, I went out with a bad headache that devolved into a migraine.  It was hell getting home,and something I never want to do again. 

I have some samosa I ordered to go, I will eat that, take my pills, and go back to bed.  It's something when even the Excedrin doesn't whack the headache completely.  It tried. 

That's it for today.  I'm glad I won't have to watch Ron shivering at the bus stop this year.  And these coats last forever if my experience is anything to go by. 

No comments: