Sunday, October 28, 2018

Another roll of Smarties

It was a long, tiring, day and it's not over yet. 

I slept in (happily, #6 did NOT have a party last night), and got up at Biscuit's nagging, fed them, took my shower, etc. 

I checked my blood sugar before I ate or drank anything other than plain water and it was 95.  That is excellent, nothing to worry about.  HOWEVER Risperdal has been known to cause diabetes so I will be watching it. 

I ate some sunflower seeds and took my pills, then I got started.  First, I bagged up enough Driver Candy to get me through a few days.  Then I started a load of clothes.  Ron doesn't have a lot of long pants in a waistband he likes.  So I try to keep them clean until I can buy him some more. 

Then I cleared off my computer room couch (loveseat), put it in my computer chair (the candy I use for the drivers) got out the Halloween candy, opened it all, and put it on my couch.  I also got the Scripture Booklets and ziplocks, then went to work. 

Open a bag, drop a booklet inside, add a Snickers bar (full sized), Jolly ranchers, gum, assorted candy, end with Smarties, and then close, place in bag.  I did that times 100.  My back is a little unhappy right now. 

In the meantime, I finished the load of clothes (including pretreat-wash-dry-hang).  About halfway through, Ron took me out to eat. 

I was ready for some cheesy eggs and a pecan waffle.  The meal was good and they got everything right.  As we were finishing (I was eating a side of FANTASTIC bacon), a woman came in with her daughter. 

She was wearing a short, tight, low-cut red dress.  Said she had just come from church.  (!)  I have a friend who is a pastor, and he says the hardest part of his wife's job (as his helper) is teaching the other women about modest attire and gently calling inappropriate outfits to attention.  She could have used to attention. 

She flirted outrageously with all the men present, including Ron.  Her daughter seemed embarrassed.  She was talking very loudly and fast, moving around a lot. 

I hadn't figured out yet, she was manic.  We paid, tipped the waitress, and left. 

Ron had called a cab at my instigation, I wanted to get away from her.  She was roaming the restaurant, laughing loudly, getting in everyone's face.  Her daughter sat quietly, watching the spectacle. 

I have to add something here, in Houston at least there is one culture that does something I find odd on one's birthday.  The birthday person pins a dollar to their right shoulder, and carries a roll of paper tape on them as they go about their daily activities for the day.  It is a sign to others: It's my birthday.  And a plea: give me some money.  Friends and family will tape money onto the dollar bill, making, at times, a long tail of money.  I have seen it various places, and at work. 

Now, the way I grew up if family wanted to give you money for your birthday they just did it.  Asking for money on one's birthday was considered rude and offensive. 

I accept the custom but we don't practice it, for ourselves or for other people.  If someone is having a birthday I wish them a happy birthday, sometimes I buy them a gift if they are a friend or family. 

As we stood outside (oh, blessed peace) the woman came out and ran up to us.  She made quite a sight in her tight red dress (unless you weigh 80 pounds, a tight dress is not going to be flattering), breasts and thighs visible.  That's when I figured out she was manic. 

She grabbed Ron's hand and yelled "Howya doing?!"  Ron said OK in a lackluster voice.  She didn't want to hear that.  She started shouting (we were right in front of her!) it was her birthday.  Both Ron and I wished her a happy birthday.  She stood there staring at us for a minute.  She did not have money pinned on her clothes.  I realized she wanted money.  I really wasn't doing that even if I had any money to give.  I gave her a stupid smile. 

She finally went away and eventually, our cab driver came.  I loaded Ron as fast as I could in case the woman came back.  We went home. 

Back to work bagging candy, I had the other half to do.  I finished the clothes and hung them up.  Then I went back to bagging.  If I see another roll of Smarties, I will scream.  But, I did it ALL today.  That was the goal.  Doing a load of laundry was just a bonus. 

Now I need to clean the litter boxes.  They are pretty bad.  I admit: I am a bad mother.  But I will get it done. 

Tomorrow looks to be busy - we are getting a new vending machine and that will be interesting.   But I will at least (hopefully) get a nap tomorrow. 

Fewer side effects from the Risperdal.  I am not as dizzy when I stand up or move suddenly.  I think I will be OK. 

That's it for now, have a good one. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys must make a lot of money since you are always eating out, taking cabs and tipping large and now giving away all that candy that has got to cost a lot too.

Heather Knits said...

No, we don't make a lot of money. We don't qualify for food stamps but we aren't making a lot, either. But remember we have very little in the way of transportation expenses. Think how much you pay for gas, repairs, car note, etc. We don't have that. Cars, IMO, eat up a huge part of the budget. We just have the occasional cab ride.

Second, we don't eat out at fancy places. The Waffle House, for instance, generally carries a tab of around $20, not counting the tip. Ron gets a couple of meals out of his portion. Feeding me is part of his love language, so I don't "have" to cook and do cleanup. He knows my energy is limited and it is his form of caregiving. When we made less we would go eat off the $1 value menu.

About the tipping, I had BETTER be a good tipper. That has always been one thing I admire about Ron, his generosity. We both agree it is only fair to give a service provider at least 20%, unless the service has been terrible (that is very seldom). If I'm going to eat out I had better have enough for a generous tip. Actually, what I do is give them a generous tip AND a New Testament in a bag of candy. So, even more important to be fair: I am "representing" Jesus, which means being kind, and fair.

I actually budget for the candy. I will forgo things for myself in order to buy candy for the evangelism (the daily stuff, and Halloween). It can take a bite out of the budget but I feel it is important. People who would reject a New Testament will take one if I put it in a ziplock with some candy. And I go through a lot of ziplocks, too. For instance, I did up 7 bags yesterday, that should get me through Sunday and Monday. While I occasionally get money from Go Fund Me for Bibles, I spend that on Bibles only - if someone made a donation saying "Buy some candy" I would do it but I assume Bible money is only for Bibles, and maybe a tract to put in the Bible. Candy, ziplocks, that's on me.

I am happy to do all of this because I know I am serving God in a very small way. I also think it is good to do for the drivers because Ron can be cranky at times, giving the driver "some candy" is a good way to apologize.

Hope that answers all the questions.