Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Maggots in tomato sauce

No, not in my fridge.  More later. 

I didn't sleep very well and woke up tired.  I miscalculated when I reset the alarm so I had a very brief shower. 

Last night Ron was having some trouble I attribute to the pain medication.  He was having trouble with his digital recorder, and counting the money.  I finally had to wake him up this morning, 15 minutes before pickup. 

He later asked me to get him up 30 minutes before, if he isn't up already.  I can do that.  He told me he hadn't counted all the money. 

We got to the bank and had to sit on the sofas (his back hurt) and count the money out in public - some of it.  It was rather uncomfortable as people kept looking at us. 

We did our business and waited a while, but, happily, the ride home was really early.  I sprinted out there pushing the wheelchair and we left.  It was even a straight ride home. 

I got a brief nap.  The garbage truck woke me up.  We got a new garbage company at the beginning of the month, they gave us brand new cans.  I have been very careful to take good care of my can.  Apparently, others did not. 

We had a ride to the hematologist.  The driver was very rigid and difficult.  Ron almost lost his temper, but settled for calling him "Mr Perfect".  Happily that was a straight trip so we didn't have a long journey. 

We got off and got Ron his blood test.  Then he called a cab to go home.  He didn't want to deal with waiting on a ride or getting rushed to leave with a needle in his arm.  There was another man there, getting chemo.  He seemed sad. 

We had a good ride home.  Then we did more logistics for the trip out of town.  Ron had gotten a voicemail from the train company saying he hadn't bought his ticket, which truly freaked him out.  What happened: he made a over the phone reservation.  Did not pay for that ticket, but the clerk did a whole new one when she rang us up the other day.  I kept trying to explain it to him but it wasn't until he called twice and spoke to clerks, that he calmed down. 

Then the hotel for the 3rd night.  The original hotel, over $100 a night, overbooked.  The third night was completely booked.  So we had to find another hotel.  We like a certain chain, they are very reliable and I haven't had any trouble with them.  I like their rooms, the microwave and fridge, and the showerhead.  They are, in my opinion, better than hotels that cost 3x the price.  So we found one of them somewhat near the hotel.  I have a feeling we will be paying a FORTUNE in cab fare next month.  I will have a folder for all the receipts and hopefully they will pay us back for all of it. 

Somewhere in there, I called Walmart and verified that my $4 prescription is ready.  Interesting, he only did one month.  I hope it has some refills or I will be calling him back! 

Then it was time to go to the Waffle House.  Ron likes the Texas Bacon Cheesesteak Sandwich.  A funny story: when he ordered it, they asked if he wanted onions.  I said he loved onions.  Ron told me to be quiet, and reminded me of the time I ordered him a takeout burrito 20 years ago and told them he liked hot sauce.  They put something incendiary on the burrito and almost killed Ron.  He literally had his head under the faucet with tears running out of his eyes.  He still remembers that, 20 years later. 

He lost a lot of memories in the accident but he remembers that.  He doesn't, for instance, remember much of 2002.  Not good memories anyway.  He does remember my specials.  I had a different special for every night of the week, and they were pretty popular with the customers. 

Anyway, it was pretty much just us in the restaurant.  Much better than last time, when it was crazy.  We took our time eating.  The cook stuffed my waffle with pecans, it was delicious.  The Diet Coke brix was off but other than that it was a good meal.  Cheap, too.  We both ate, with drinks, for the cost of one entree at most places.  I like a good value. 

I was pretty lightheaded, but I still took my pills, and, to be honest, they didn't make me any worse.  It just took a while for it to pass.  Our ride arrived, and we paid and left. 

When we got home I checked "my" garbage can (remember I said I've been keeping it clean?).  Maggots writhing in a base of tomato sauce, with chunks of half-eaten watermelon.  It was #2's can, but I had just missed #2 taking "their" (my) can into their garage and locking the door.  Just on the off chance it was #6's can, I looked in their can, still sitting on the curb.  Not only did it still have trash but it was also filthy.  Am I the only one taking care of my garbage can?!

I decided to make lemonade and got my bottle of generic pine sol, and the hose.  I cleaned it out pretty well and dumped it in the gutter.  I at least got rid of the maggots and most of the tomato sauce, some of it is dried on the sides.  It will work for now. 

Even if I could get my old can back, #2 probably ruined it by now. 

Tomorrow we go to Walmart to get my pills, and then to work.  We have been at Walmart a lot lately. 

Work shouldn't be too hard, but I need to share something: when we went downtown to the train station they had 2 vending machines.  One was totally unstocked.  The second was out of change.  That is just awful.  How do you expect to make money if the customer can't buy anything?  I feel sometimes like I'm letting my customers down but I have never gone that low. 

Ron: Don't let that be your standard! 

I won't.  But I will be happy to fill "my" machines up and make them look good for the customers.  Even though, I don't think I shared this, the "healthy living advocate" put a scale right next to my vending machines.  Agh. 

Talk about sabotage! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you...I have never seen anyone else clean there garbage or recycle bins. I rinse ours with a gallon of water and some Clorox in it about every 2 weeks. Even if there is no moisture, odors stick to plastic and draw flies. Have a great conference and train ride.