Monday, October 29, 2018

"Now I need to wear a bra tomorrow!"

I didn't sleep well last night and woke up with a bad headache, around 3.  I went ahead and took some Excedrin, even though it would kill my chance of sleep, because I had hoped to get up in about an hour anyway. 

I lay next to Torbie in bed, until it kicked in.  Then I got up, worked on the computer for a while, took a shower, did my God Time, watched the weather, and got dressed.  Then I helped Ron bathe and dress.  I ate and took my pills, and off to work. 

Our ride to work was late, significantly so.  That was a problem: we had a new vending machine coming at 8, and it was well after 7.  Because she was so late, we got stuck in traffic.  Then she missed our exit and had to take the long way around, through a truly dangerous neighborhood, to get us to work.  I was still nice to her, gave her candy and a New Testament. 

Our sandwich guy called us on the way to work.  He was waiting in visitor parking.  I had the driver unload us in visitor parking.  I had my mop and bucket, a large bag, and Ron in his wheelchair.  I received the delivery, Ron paid for it, and I left everything in visitor parking, ran back into our area, got a cart, and came back out. 

Ron said Dr Pepper had called.  They said they would deliver at 8, and it was 8:05.  I was impressed.  I tried to have Ron hold onto the back of the cart, so I could drag both him and the cart into the building at the same time, but he almost tipped over in the grass.  So I left Ron (hoping he wouldn't get robbed) and went back into the building with the cart.  I met Dr Pepper, had them take the old machine, install the new machine.  The old machine leaked when they put it on the cart.  I was there with my trusty mop to clean it up. 

The last time we got a new machine, I was told I was not allowed to use a facility mop and was forbidden access to a facility mop.  I would have to find a manager and have them page a custodian to come with a mop, to do the job.  In the meantime I was frantically chasing people away from the puddle on the floor, and trying to mop it with paper towels. 

I said, @#$! that, and brought my OWN mop.  I am allowed to use MY mop.  They only told me I couldn't use THEIRS.  I had it all done in 15 seconds.  No problems, no slip.  No accidents and no lawsuits.  A custodian watched me do it, smiling, so no issues on that end. 

I put the mop/bucket in the stockroom. 

Then I got Ron and told him we had our new machine.  It looks nice and new.  I brought Ron in and got a specialty lock out of our toolbox.  About 15 years ago, we had Medeco make us custom keyed locks for our vending machines.  They all operate off the same key.  I had taken ours (well, the repairman did) out of the old machine. 

I have been a little iffy on removing old locks, but was certain I could install it.  I stuck the key in the lock and shoved it in the hole, then I twisted the key back and forth while aligning the "bump" with the hole in the cylinder.  I had it in a few seconds (thank you, Jesus).  I pulled the key out, no problem.  Good.  That was done. 

I helped Ron set up the machine, that took a while, especially the way he did it.  He wanted to take cold soda out of other machines and put it into the vending machine.  I thought that was inefficient, better to take room temp soda out of the stockroom, fill the machine, and put up a note "Cold in (3 hours)".  As it turned out, he filled the machine with mostly cold drinks but still had to leave the note about ALL of them being cold in a few hours.  I didn't "tell him so". 

I try to remind myself he has taken a whack with the pain pills.  It's like a setback in the head injury. 

He was not easy to work with, verbally abusive, derogatory, praising me, and then condescending.  All manipulator tricks.  I took it all the same, yeah, whatever. 

I barely managed to do snacks.  I also met the new Plant Manager (I think).  He was very nice and said when he wants to buy a snack he reminds himself he is supporting us.  I said thank you and told him we were BOTH disabled.  I have no problem telling people that. 

We finally finished and went home.  We had a nice driver.  Of course we drove past the house and then came back to our house.  The goal for them is to drive as many people around for as long as possible, that's how they get paid, "Heads" per mile.  Not by the trip.  So they try to make each trip as long, and as crowded, as possible. 

We finally got home and I took a nap.  Ron was still in a pissy mood.  I slept with Torbie for a little while and got up when someone rang the doorbell.  It was my package from Amazon, I ordered it yesterday.  It is a noisemaker - the kind you play when you are sleeping, to drown out background noise.  A couple of times, when we have traveled, we had trouble sleeping in a new environment with background noise.  When we had a noisemaker, we slept better.  I figure we can bring it with us. 

My old one is pretty large, and broken.  It is stuck in the "on" position.  I have it plugged in so it's not a problem.  It has a volume knob so I just turn the volume down when I get up, and turn it up when I go to bed.  It works pretty well for me. 

We went to the Waffle House.  Ron told me his back was really bothering him (that may be the cause of his nasty mood all day, I don't know) and took his pain pill.  He notes it on a digital recorder so he doesn't make medication errors. 

I ate, Ron didn't.  He said he wasn't hungry.  Fine.  He moped and made a big production of sadness while I cheerfully devoured my eggs, bacon, and waffle.  We did not have any problems with strange people.  Ron called a cab to go home. 

The cab driver was nice, but the vehicle reeked of smoke.  I don't think your average smoker realizes how offensive people find the smell of smoke.  Ugh.  We went home. 

I fixed up the shower chair and commode chair.  I had Ron call Jack and offer them on loan.  I know I would have loved either, or both, after my surgery, so I figured they would benefit.  He said they would call us if they needed it.  Sounds like a no, but I still have them "out" in the garage where I can hand them off easily if needed. 

Ron thought it was weird, but he doesn't remember, when I came home with him after the accident, his Dad loaned me an old commode chair from a deceased relative.  Then, under pressure from the other kids, he took it back. 

But we used it, and we needed it. 

One would have been a huge benefit to me after my ovarian surgery.  And the shower bench, I have used it many times when I was sick/tired/dizzy and it worked great.  It would be a great thing to have after surgery. 

And who has money to buy all that crap when recovery will hopefully not take that long?  That's why I offered to loan it to them.  I sterilized them.  They are ready if needed. 

And Ron dealt with an HOA issue.  Some of our trim is "broken".  It needs to be replaced.  He called our handyman, who is interested in the job.  It does involve a ladder, but Ron told him that.  We will see how it all goes.  He may come out tomorrow. 

I notice that many of the people who help us are 60+.  I don't know whether it is more mature generations were just taught better, or they have the time to help us, but I am glad they do.  I can't help but feel a little guilty about it. 

"Help" meaning we will pay him for parts and labor, with a good tip. 

A friend called us.  He is being forced to give up his outside cats.  He was hoping we would take them.  If we lived in the country and they had been vetted for FLV, I probably would.  I found him a rescue, and will make a list of more to give him when I see him again.  It's sad. 

We talked (Ron and I) about tomorrow.  I gave him a hard time about calling the handyman to come tomorrow "Now I need to wear a bra tomorrow!"  I had planned to stay home and do some cleaning: organize the front room so I can "do" Halloween, and work on purging stuff from the garage so I have a cleaner space and stuff for Salvation Army.  Ron called them to come out before I was "ready" - I like to have the bags ready and then call, but now I have an appointment and no bags.  Well, I do have Ron's old coat.  I will look in the garage, I have some outerwear out there and some clothes in the bedroom that are too small. 

Now, if I lose that much weight I will probably treat myself to a small spending spree, but I don't want to give away something I might wear, either. 

But I get to sleep late, which will be nice.  Getting up at 3 took a lot out of me.  And I had to take a total of 2 doses of headache pills today.  It's been a long day. 

Dealing with Ron was exhausting.  At times, though, he was appreciative so it wasn't all acid rain. 

OK, I'm tired.  I'm going for now. 

Take care and have a good one. 

No comments: