Saturday, October 13, 2018

No Haldol for you!

I got up early, got Ron ready, and we went to the warehouse.  I bought our supplies and applied Ron's magnets while he sat in his wheelchair at a table. 

Jack came to pick us up, and we went to work.  Jack was having trouble with his arm so we plan to use the other guy next week, to give him a break. 

We got to work, unloaded, stocked.  I helped Ron and did my work.  So far, so good.  I called the Walmart pharmacy to see if they'd gotten my missing 4th prescription.  They said no, they didn't have it.  It was the Haldol. 

Haldol is my antipsychotic.  It keeps me from getting delusional and eradicates the invisible bugs on my skin.  It's a very good drug and I have enjoyed taking it. 

She put me on hold and came back.  "They couldn't get it" and I would have to try another pharmacy, but not a Walmart because they all use the same supplier. 

This is an anti-psychotic.  I couldn't believe anyone would allow - to run out - it's just criminal. 

I called another pharmacy (not Walmart).  They didn't even know how to spell "Haldol" and I had to spell it out.  Again, on hold forever, came back, sorry "We can't get it". 

Do they know what it's for?  Do they really want me off this med?  

I finished up with Ron and we went home.  I tried to take a nap but #2 was making noise.  They were on a cleaning binge and making a lot of noise with loud music, talking, and banging around.  I heard the wife/mother yelling the n-word at someone in a car.  Not very classy, I felt.  Her daughter was right next to her. 

One of those, "I can say it, but you can't" (not that I would ever want to) things. 

Our ride arrived to take us to Walmart.  We got there.  Ron wanted to go to the pharmacy and try to get more pain pills.  We all saw that one coming.  I got what they had of my pills (lithium, my other mood stabilizer, and my antidepressant).  I told the pharmacy tech they would see me on TV since I couldn't get my antipsychotics.  She laughed, nervously. 

Ron didn't want to stay long, he was upset about the medication.  I told him I needed 15 minutes to do some shopping.  He reluctantly agreed.  You'd think I was spending his money.  I got everything (including a new air filter for the HVAC system) and paid.  Then Ron said we needed to pay the electric bill, I did that. 

Now he was ready to go.  He called a cab.  I tried to call Doc but my phone wasn't dialing for some reason.  The cab came and we went home, I put everything away. 

I called Doc.  I know that Risperdal is on the $4 generic list at Walmart.  I took it in the past, and it "sort of" worked at half a milligram a day.  I explained that (on voicemail) and asked for something stronger than a half milligram a day.  I explained the Haldol shortage and signed off.  I am sure they will call me Monday. 

A little later, we had a trip to go get some dinner.  It was really chaotic at the restaurant and we both agreed we prefer the "off" time.  We took a cab home and Ron went to bed. 

It's pretty late now. 

I am not thrilled about taking the Risperdal again, but maybe I will get better results at a higher dose.  At least it is affordable now.  Last time I took it I had embarrassing lactation issues.  I sure hope I don't have to deal with that again.  As long as it manages my symptoms. 

Who lets the whole country run out of Haldol?  I don't get that.  People are going to be going buggo left and right as they run out of meds.  A lot of them won't take something new. 

Hopefully you won't see me on the news. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked it up and the supplier wont have any until next year. They have other brands of Haldol that are available you just have to find a pharmacy that carries it. Hopefully your doctor can help. Apparently medication shortages happen a lot.

Heather Knits said...

I have been blessed to have no real problems getting my medication. And let's be honest, what I take is for HARD CORE crazy. I think they would let other meds "go" before mine.

I did have some problems with lithium, did the same thing with the pharmacy "Do you know what this is FOR?" and they said yes with a nervous expression. But I always refill early for that reason. Give them time to get it together.

I will try the Risperdal, it is a $10 medication in generic and more available. It didn't hurt me when I took it, but didn't work great on my symptoms. So I asked for a hearty dose. That should whack the invisible bugs. Risperdal was Doc's first choice for me anyway.

I like to think I am flexible.