Tuesday, October 30, 2018

And you thought we were done with the possum

I slept in today, got up, took care of myself, Ron, and the cats.  Ate some breakfast and took my pills. 

Then I went to work on the front room.  It is basically the front half of the house, we have a modified "shotgun" style house with a larger room in the front and smaller rooms on both sides towards the back. 

I was interested in the entryway.  I have the bear on a rolling bookcase Ron crafted, covered by a skirt.  Then I had a sheet over the bear + stand because the cats were biting him. 

The bear was a live bear that was shot and mounted by my friend Corey.  He wanted us to have the bear and shipped it to us at no small expense. 

We kept it on the floor for a while but then Ron and I cut a bookcase in half, Ron mounted wheels on the bottom, and we put the bear on the top part of the case.  It has been a good stand.  

The bear was in the back corner, first I had to deal with other things in the way.  It took me a couple of hours to deal with them and get them moved properly.  Then I had to move the cat condo, it was sitting right next to the front door, which is where I wanted to put the bear.  

So far, so good.  I did notice the bottom of the sheet, covering the bear, was stained.  I had figured the possum was hanging out there when he lived with us so I wasn't too concerned.  I got the kitty condo moved and finally had a good look at the bear.  

The whole bottom of the sheet was stained, going about halfway up.  Well, I would not be using that sheet any more.  It looked unwashable.  I found a corner and lifted it up, and looked undenearth.  The sheet was longer than the bear, and had bunched on the floor.  

And, on the floor, on top of the sheet, was an astounding pile of possum crap.  Oh, shit.  Literally.  I shuddered and fled.  

I sat down with a diet lemonade and reviewed my options.  I would have to get my "rubber" gloves, pick up the sheet carefully, containing all the possum poop, and throw it away (I already had a trash bag).  It didn't reek, surprisingly, although I had noticed a musky odor coming from that corner a while back.  I just thought it was possum body odor, and would dissipate.  It did dissipate so I assumed I was right.  I found it interesting, I told myself, that the possum had apparently dumped all the poop in one place.  

But - YUCK!  I got the gloves (I need to get more) and donned them.  It reminded me of when Ron was in ICU and I would help his Dad don the gloves we were both required to wear.  

Then I got the garbage bag and headed for the mess.  I got the corners of the sheet loose from the bear.  The stain did not extend up to the bear level, and it looked and smelled fine.  I wadded up the sheet, carefully containing the mess.  Done.  Into the bag, finished.  Now I had loose poops on the floor that had to be retrieved.  I did so, still wearing my gloves.  

My mop is at work, I need to buy another one, but I got up all the solid mess and into the garbage can.   Ugh.  I made my list for Walmart tomorrow and laid down for a nap.  I didn't sleep, and got up at 4.  

I decided, since it was Tuesday, to do Ron's shot.  He said he would do it every other Tuesday (as directed, every other week).  I try to respect his wishes.  Sometimes, when you have a condition, it is hard to feel like it's "your" body.  Everyone else is medicating it, sticking needles in it, running procedures on it, etc.  

So I asked him if it was "OK", I didn't tell him.  He said it was OK and opened up a bag of chips.  I washed my hands very well, sterilized my tray, etc.  I got the needles (only a couple left, but more coming tomorrow), and selected one.  I got my cotton pads and dampened them - saturated them, with 91% rubbing alcohol.  I put the pads on the tray, along with the vial of medication and the needle.  I went over to a flat surface.  

I won't relate all the details, but I had a horrible time getting that damned b-12 out of the vial.   I finally got a full cc.  Then I tried to put the needle cap back on the needle.  

Did I mention Risperdal ALSO causes hand tremor?  I am a sight to see, at times, lithium, wellbutrin, and risperdal all causing tremors.  I kept missing the mark, putting the cap on.  I finally switched hands, held the needle in my left hand (quivering) and put the cap on with my "good" (better at least) right hand.  

Then I went in to Ron.  I asked him if it was a good time for his shot, I had it ready.  He ate some chips and said OK.  He likes to sleep on his back with his knees up towards his chest, he never sleeps flat.  I had to straighten him out a bit.  He didn't like that but was nice about it.  

Then I swabbed him with rubbing alcohol as he protested.  I reminded him we want to prevent infection, and a friend of ours ended up in the hospital because she did not follow sterile technique.  

Once I got him disinfected I let it dry for a few seconds.  They all say that causes less pain for the patient.  Then I grabbed a pinch of skin with my shaking left hand.  Ron could feel it.  

I lined up the needle with the fold of skin, and inserted.  It always takes more force than I think, to get that needle in.  I made sure it was deep enough this time, I have had problems where it wasn't deep and the fluid came right back out again.  

Ron realized my hand was shaking about this time.  "Maybe" (needle inserted) we should (plunger depressed) wait until your hands (needle removed) aren't (pad applied to injection site) shaking before we do this."  

"Already done" I told him.  I took my stuff out of the room and tried to put the cap back on the needle.  It took some time, but it didn't matter if I touched the needle itself, I didn't have to worry about keeping it sterile.  It had done it's job.  I got it capped and put it in my sharps container (it used to hold peanut butter filled pretzels, it is very sturdy plastic with a screw on lid).  

It would be a very long wait, waiting until my hands weren't shaking.  A very long wait indeed.  

Now I need to round up some dinner.  Not much of an appetite after what I saw earlier but food must be eaten and pills must be taken.  

The cats are good, food, water, litter all done.   Ron's been in a pretty good mood except for a little cranky when I gave him his shot - not because it hurt (it's a very small needle), but because I was repositioning him in the bed, etc.  

I ate some tuna salad for dinner and took my pills.  

My work here is done.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your house is gross. I would never take candy or any food products from you.

Heather Knits said...

I don't have any food over there. :) It's done now. Most importantly, fixed how it got in so no more possums.

I will say, people from church have come and helped fix things on occasion. They were very nice and never said anything, but I could see them looking around. When we have a potluck I bring something packaged and made by someone else (cookies from Sam's Club, etc.). Because I know it's not up to some standards (even before my little possum adventure).

Spankadoo said...

What a story Heather! LOL I had wondered if the bear was still around did you set him out for Halloween so the kids could see him? Having a mess in your house doesn’t mean that you can not provider people with healthy food as long as the food is kept safe and your prep area is clean why do people have to spout mean comments like that it serves no purpose. Big hugs Heather Happy Halloween!

Anonymous said...

Maybe they were raised if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

Heather Knits said...

The kids love the bear. I'm glad it wasn't affected.

Yes, I think it's appropriate don't say anything at the time, gossip later if you want to your family/friends (one guy did, his wife told me "Oh, he told me ALL about your house"), but don't throw rocks. I will remind you we are both disabled and ask for very little. But things suffer as a result.