Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Take a compliment

I think I had an allergic reaction last night.  I used my new facial cleansing wipes.  My face felt tight and itchy, puffy, and I wanted to claw my own eyes out, they itched so bad.  I finally fell asleep, and woke up coughing all night long.  Horrible.

On that lovely note (my face was fine this morning, and I went with my Dollar Store "Acne Soap" for facial use in the shower), I got up late, took my shower, and did my God Time.  Ron and I talked a lot, I checked the mail, and New Kitty came running up to me.  She is a little timid still, but later on, frolicked all over Ron's feet as I dragged a wand toy.

She sure likes the kitten food.  I have a bowl each of food and water on the porch.  Ron likes petting her.

We went to Academy Sports, first.  I wanted pepper spray, for my sister.  They have a good selection.  The stuff I carry (post mugging) has 2% tear gas, a UV marker, and either 5 or 10% Pepper.  I got her something like that, in pink.

That done, Ron dolefully informed me we were "unassigned".  That's bad.  That means, for paratransit, at least an hour's wait.  At a sporting goods store.  In the middle of the week.

Heather, he asked me, could we ride the bus?  You betcha.  I made that happen, and far less than an hour later, we got off at our destination.  I nagged Ron to call in a compliment, and sure enough, they had to transfer it twice before they found someone who could take a compliment on a bus driver.

Isn't that sad?  The last time I called in a compliment, they had me on hold for 10 minutes, and transferred 3 times.  

We got  snack to eat, and I went to the dollar store.  See, I needed wood polish.  I have an old family thing in a wood box.  The wood box needed cleaning.  So, I had to get wood polish.  I also found some other stuff, like the daily shower cleaner, etc.

Ron was getting worried by the time I left.  We went to our second location, at the Christian bookstore. We got rid of the Dr Pepper, and put in Diet Coke.  The "girls" are very excited.

Leaving Ron to stock, I went on the hunt for little New Testaments I could hand to the airplane servers.  They have small pockets. so I was thinking one of those small New Testaments.   Like this:  Shirt Pocket New Testaments  I've been licking my lips over them for a long time.  I like the one with the tree.

So, I looked.  All they had was KJV.  I don't like KJV.

If someone gave me a case I would distribute them; but I wouldn't seek them.  For one, my demographic is about NIV-HCSB-NKJV-ESV level.  About a seventh grade reading level.  Another thing, who speaks Old English anymore?  No one.  When I hear people theeing at the bus stop, I'll hand them out.  [laugh]

Again, I will NEVER disparage the Word; I just like to present it in an accessible format.   God has me working with a certain demographic - people without the best education.  However, He created all of them and wants them all to get His Word.

So, I do accessible handouts.  It would be kind of cool to have a dozen or so on my handouts, in a separate pocket, for the "Do you have a King James" crowd (although about half will happily take a NEW King James).

At any rate, I left.  I decided I need to pray strongly and seek God's will, only, on any distribution during my trip.  Tonight I stuff the Family Thing into my duffel bag, wrap my garment bag around it, and tape it.  Once I do that,  I can determine how many Bibles I can cram into my bag (I'll need to weigh, it too, so I don't end up paying fines).

I found not one, but two, Lifeway Christian stores in Jacksonville, my destination - so it ought to be pretty easy to run by before closing, after I land.  Again, though, I don't want to go outside of God's will.  When doing Handouts, I want to be directed by God; not running around doing my will instead of His.  I have done that a few times with disappointing, to horrifying, results.

Twice, I tried to give Bibles away, after God clearly told me NO, and both times I swear the guy had a demon - just went off screaming and I felt very unsafe.  I literally had to run away in both situations.  Yet, I've handed out many Bibles and only gotten smiles, when I'm working in God's will.  

So, I really need to seek God's will in this.  I want to make Him proud, don't want to make an ass out of myself, and want to reach some people if that's His will.  If not, I am totally happy to pray for the unreached, but I'm happy to do a little down and dirty, street evangelism (to quote myself from my first Bible Handout post).  First Handout post.

It's up to Him.  I'm sure He will make it clear, but if you feel so inclined, please ask Him to make it obvious.  I need help with everything and I'm not afraid to ask for help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about asking your doctor for an epi pen? Good grief Heather with all your allergies and what you seem to know ...Ron's med reaction... how many times you have had hives just since i started reading your blog! liquid benadryl and an epi pen knowing how/ when to use them.

You and Ron not having epi-pens liquid benadryl with something secondary like certrazine or loratidine
Is not safe