Saturday, September 8, 2012

Ghetto Handout

So, there I was; standing on a really bad corner, in a notorious part of town.  I'm holding my Free Bibles sign and my tote bag full of Bibles.  Ron's sitting near me in his wheelchair, on the median.  I'm wearing a plain white T-shirt, baggy capris, cheap sneakers, my safety vest, and a safety orange ball cap.  Ron is wearing his usual t-shirt and knit cotton shorts.

As I smile and wave at passing cars, one passes me and comes to a stop, abruptly.  Two large black men get out.  They are dressed in "thug" apparel, one has a gold chain, and they're coming my way.  They are scowling.

I wave at them and reach into my bag as they approach.  "How many would you like?"

The bigger guy looks at me as I grin.  "One".  I tried to give the other guy one, but apparently they're roommates.

That, friends, was my handout.  On the outside, very scary.  I saw people who were high, people in gangs.  I saw people with "teardrop" killer tattoos (a teardrop "tat" indicates they have murdered someone), but it didn't matter.  God loves them all, and He put His love into my heart.

Oh, I got so many gangsters.  It was lovely.  Some of them rolled down a window, deadpan, and stuck out a hand.  Some of them had a window down, and reached out to take a Bible I had offered.

One man took one, then realized it was a "nice" whole Bible.  He asked for another as the light changed.  I quickly got him.

About half an hour later, he parked at the gas station across the street, and waved at me.  I ran over to him, and he gave me an ICY cold bottle of water, and a Gatorade.  What a lovely, sweet, man, but if I'd gone on the outer appearance I would have crossed the street to avoid him.

I had a couple of people who saw my sign, drove around behind me, stopped, blocking traffic, and laid on the horn until I ran over and supplied them.  Everyone waiting at the bus stop wanted a Bible, and we were there for 90 minutes.  I even had a bus stop, she opened her window, and waved me over.

The bus driver stopped driving her route, so I could give her a Bible.  I also gave away several, riding the bus, to get there.

I had some really nice people who smiled, honked cheerfully, and waved when they saw what I was doing.  That was awesome, I can always use a little encouragement.

Things were really slow to start.  I had about 30 whole Bibles,  30 New Testaments, and 30 Spanish.  I thought I was being generous with the Spanish.  Boy, was I wrong.

At any rate, I was giving away one Bible every 5 minutes or so.  I told Ron "I'll just do the Big Ones, and then we can go home."  Pretty soon, though, it picked up.

One guy looked scary, but I had a feeling he was in a lot of emotional pain.  I walked over and offered him a Bible, and he took it quietly.  I'll be sending up some extra prayers for him - I got the feeling he was really hurting.

I think some people drove past, thought about it, and came back.  Hey, if they wanted one they got one.   The Spanish were very slow to move at first, and some of them seemed pretty hostile to the Gospel.  I mentioned it to Ron - and God, having a sense of humor, sent so many EAGER Spanish recipients I was wiped out in 10 minutes.  I hate having to tell someone I'm out of Spanish.  I'll bring more, next time.

One guy was somewhat reluctant, in a car with his girlfriend.  He was clearly waffling.  She was maybe interested.  He shook his head at me.  I pretended to cry, and they took them!  [laugh]  I am shameless.

I only did it the once.  I think a lot of recipients were surprised that someone like me, came to them, in a really horrible area, and wanted to share her faith.  The fact that I was there, making a humiliating spectacle of myself, and wanted to give THEM a nice looking Bible, convinced them to take it.

I'm glad God sent me.  I will absolutely go back.

I felt far safer there, than I did at the "nicer" apartment complex, not far from my home, where a guy pointed a gun at me, today.

At the very end, I told Ron "I have 4 Bibles left and I'm really tired.  Maybe I can give them away at the BBQ place".

"Give it a minute" he said.  "They'll come".  Sure enough, not a minute later a grandmother stopped and asked for 4 Bibles for each of her grandkids.

I had one Bible left, a nicer one.  After we ate, delicious barbecue, we rode home.  The bus driver was shocked I had done a Bible Handout, on a "really bad corner" in the ghetto.  I told him I'd share my faith wherever God sent me.  I asked if he'd like the last Bible and he said yes, so I gave it to him.

If I had time, I also told all the recipients I'd be praying for them daily.  If you pray, please pray for them too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you darlin and love what you are doing. i pray God will bless you in your ministry to others and that he will touch each life you touch in your service to your king. you are awesome! ~Rita ~

Jennie1964 said...

You're an inspiration, Heather! Praying for each one who took a handout, that God would touch their hearts and give them understanding of the greatest truth of all; that He loves them and gave His life for them.