Friday, September 7, 2012

A tale of two clinics

I've been praying a lot: Lord, if you don't want us to keep the cat, let me know.  So far, so good.  Bubba seems amicable, doesn't even growl - does kind of a scolding chirp if he messes with his tail.  But no growling or unhappy body language on Bub's part.  I want to take care of my boy.

So, if we keep her, we need to fix her.  What does that mean for us?  Well, we called the old standby clinic.  They generally do a cat for about $40 or so.

Well, they used to.  They wanted over $300.  Ron, like me, hates to ask for "help", but I heard him "I'm a blind man in a wheelchair, you don't have any discounts?"  No, they said.  He could always call the pound if he couldn't afford her.

Well.

However, we live in the big city.  I know another clinic.  Ron called them.  A spay is $70.  Plus a rabies shot.  So, if we get all the vaccines, worms, do the ear mites (she spends some time digging at her ears), it would run around $100 or so.

Huh.  Big difference, huh?

It just goes to show, it's a good idea to shop around.  We won't get her "done" until I get back from Florida.  A blind man with balance issues, post-operative freaked out kitten, and a large black cat equals disaster.

Better to wait until Mom gets back!  Besides, she's maybe 2 months.  We've got plenty of time to fix her.  Most female cats have their first heat around 6 months or so.

She climbs all over Ron's feet now, and he gets lots of petting.  He loves to pet her while she eats, and feel her purring.  She's very sweet, and very quiet now.

I think she was only loud because God knew she'd have to scream to get Ron's attention.  Now that she has food, water, shelter, and friendship (feline and human), she's quieter.

I've been calling her "Varmit" but we made up a nicer name to give the clinic!


1 comment:

Melanie said...

Where I live, the Humane Society (I think it's the Humane Society) has this thing once a year where they will spay/neuter a pet for free. I've never used it because I got my dogs done as soon as I got them (and I didn't know about it then). Might Houston have some sort of similar event?