Saturday, September 15, 2012

I answer to God.

I admit it.  I have hoarder tendencies.  My home is usually a mess.

I always thought it was 100% "my fault", but I gained an important insight tonight.  I have my areas of the house, and Ron has his.

Ron has always told me "I was completely tidy until I met you, but the house is so awful, who cares".  Variations of that.  Screaming at me, throwing me out in the middle of the night, raving, raving, screaming.

I could go on, but I don't believe in living a victimhood.  At any rate, his version of "helping" me as usually screaming at me, raving, and threatening to throw my work clothes in the dumpster - that kind of thing.  Not helpful at all.

I have tried to ask him for help, reasoning things out.  My big issues are 1.  Getting things when manic. 2.  Where do I put this?  and 3.  Hanging onto stuff I don't use.    4.  Getting rid of trash.

I have gotten very good at dealing with #1.  For instance, the last "good" mania I got a few selections of incense, which I keep in a shoe box.

I always need help with #2, but I've gotten better.  If it's involved in food prep, it should go in the kitchen.  Things I use rarely can go on a high cupboard shelf.  Medicated, probably my biggest issue "Where the heck do I put it?"  Figuring that out can be hard.  I recently figured out it was perfectly fine to put my skinny clothes in the garage, that maybe I didn't need size 12s in my closet if I'm currently a 20.

"Common" sense for most people, but my prefrontal lobes were damaged - so I need help.  I try to ask for help, and generally get the shouting from Ron.

#3, I had a hard time with it.  Today, for instance, I was cleaning out a cabinet.  I found some really vile herbal tea.  Yeah, it kind of helped, but I haven't made it in over a year.  Into the trash.

Which leads me to #4.  For instance, as I walked back into the room just now, I saw a ripped plastic bag on the floor.  The kitten had a good time.  It's trash, so I need to get rid of it.  I can do that on my medication, because I can finally think for the first time in my life.

Whenever I leave the house, for more than a day, Ron always goes nosing around in my stuff, "validating" what a horrible, messy, person I am.  I'm not sure what game is involved.  Maybe it has to do with the drinking - it's OK to drink, because she is messy.  If I were "perfect" he couldn't drink?  Well, of course I can't be perfect.  No one can.

Anyway, he will always accusingly say "Oh, I looked at YOUR counter and it was terrible, how can you do that..." make snide comments if I put something on "his" counter "No room on yours, huh?"

In short, he can be very ugly.  I always took it because I believed what he said, "I was very tidy until I met you".  However, a look in "his" man cave reveals a huge mess under his bed, his dresser drawers, and under his table.  He often calls me in to help him find something - yet the lightbulb never went off until tonight.

I was always very defensive, tearful, and desperate to please.  I wanted to be "better".

However, tonight - he woke up.  I said "I'm going to take out the trash".  He got an attitude, said "I told you I would take it out" - hours ago, and it was overflowing.  I had to pull it out of the can and tie it off.

"Not that one," I said, "The other one.  I cleaned off my counters, and cleaned out my cabinet".  He wanted to know if I "emptied my sink".  I said no, I had some (rinsed) dishes, but I'd get to it.  However, I had cleaned off the whole counter and the cabinet, did he want to see?

No, he was very rude and abrupt.  He drank something (forget if it was beer or wine), and said he needed to know where I kept the cat food.  I told him.  Where was the food bowl?  I told him.  He said he didn't want to reach under the kitchen table, and could we move it (guaranteed, he's going to kick it there, and knock it over, but I'll "let" him - I'll be gone and he will have to live with the mess).

He began complaining bitterly about current events, and I asked him why he watched the news.  He said he wanted to keep up.  "Why" I asked him "It only seems to make you angry and depressed."  He disputed that, said I was "wrong, again" and I said "Well, whenever you are angry and depressed, you are always talking about the news.  Why don't you cut it back?" (he watches for hours a day).  He was very quiet, and changed the subject to church.  He "hates" church.  He "hates having to worship God", etc.

I said, if you're going to be that ugly, then I can have (male friend) give me a ride from the house.  No, Ron insisted, he couldn't do that.  We would have an affair.

"Not every woman is a whore" I told him.  "I answer to God".   Ron was very skeptical.  With his history, I'm not surprised he projects.  He had sex with married women, best friends of women he dated, a wife of a man he considered a friend, etc.  So, to him, "Friends only" has no meaning.  "Won't cheat" has no value.

At any rate, he's getting into church.  I have to see that as a good thing, and view his griping as the price of admission.

I took out "my" bag of trash, and he said he wanted to look at something on the floor.  He found a box, what is this.  I did a quick check.  "This can all go out to the trash".  I took it out.

He found a bottle of tea in his sink.  I asked him to pour it out, so I could throw away the bottle.  He got the wrench.  As I came back in the house, he was rummaging around under the sink, producing bags of popcorn.  I asked if he wanted to continue "orienting" to the various cat food and water items.

No, he said.  He spent about 5 minutes breaking up the popcorn box, which was in a cabinet, and out of the way.  When I asked for help, he got distracted - so distracted he forgot everything else but 2 bags of unpopped popcorn and a small cardboard box.  Then he had to untie the trash he said he'd take out, and put the box in, then tie it up again just right.

In the meantime, I have cleaned the microwave, taken out the last bag of trash (can's full now) and wiped off the kitchen table.  That's when it hit me.  In his own way, Ron is just as cleaning impaired as me.  He gets distracted by the small picture and loses sight of the big one.

As of this moment, he has no idea about the wet cat food, cat food plates, or the identity of the TV dinners in the freezer.  It's all a big mystery.

I hope we both remember to do it tomorrow - I leave Monday afternoon.

4 comments:

Jillian said...

I have a problem with mess and disorganization, too. Big time. I thought it was " just me" but a lot is from being bipolar. Comes with the territory. Manic, I get obsessive about being clean. Depressed, the opposite. On an even keel, like now, I'm too tired after work to be motivated to clean.
I'm the opposite of a hoarder, though-I want to throw everything out! Except, when I get paid, I always desperately want to buy everything right away, afraid that another pay cheque may not come ( even though I have been paid every two weeks for some time, as does my husband.). I'm also always afraid of running out of food. That comes from the PTSD I have from an abusive relationship I was in years ago, when we literally starved all the time. Hard habits to break!
Manic spending...ooh boy. Pre- diagnosis, I ran up a few credit cards, had a car repossessed, and wound up declaring bankruptcy. Really. I spent like Marie Antoinette...while I was a student. I got milder bouts of that after diagnosis, but not nearly as bad.
I think what Ron is doing is blaming you for his own problems as he doesn't want to take responsibility for himself. You said he grew up not doing that, so he hasn't broken the pattern. It's also common among those with addictions. Sounds like you are handling it well. Praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Have a safe flight and a great time on your vacation!

We all have a tendency to want to hold onto things. Heck I had thin clothes from when I was 18. I am a lot closer to 50 now so I donated them (ironically some are back in style now) and it was the hardest thing to do even though I knew I would never wear them.

Hubby like to hold onto stuff also. We have 5-6 totes of stuff I just want to toss but we are not there yet.

At least you can get rid of stuff so you are not as far gone as some on that TV show.

not a rawn fan said...

Sorry but you need to get some self respect and stop letting rawn treat you like CRAP!! He is a jerk. I think if you loved yourself more you wouldnt put up with the vile way he treats you a second longer. God doesn't want you there, and no, it's not "on him (rawn)" and you can't keep turning a blind eye to his verbal and emotional abuse of you. Quit making excuses for him. Women should not be treated this way. It's really sad.

Melanie said...

Heather, I think that thing about "opposites attract" must have some truth to it, at least to an extent. I'm a neat freak-some would say "anal", LOL-a place for everything and everything in its place. I'm the kind of person who scrubs the corners of the baseboards with a toothbrush. My husband is just the opposite-he's a pack rat (the only thing I "hoard" is my perfume collection and even that is neatly organised and stored) he feels stifled if he has to be organised, and he thinks the house doesn't look "lived in" if there's not stuff strewn all over. He has his office in the house which I dust and vacuum but otherwise leave alone-I can't even bear to look at his desk, I don't know how he he finds things in that mess!

But somehow we've made it work for app 30 years:) I guess it's one of the many things people have to work at to make a marriage work-the give and take of accepting that though we are one in marriage, we don't share a brain :)

Hope you have a pleasant and fruitful visit and get to do some Bible handouts as God leads you.