Sunday, September 30, 2012

A strong back

Metrolift does not go to my church.  They get pretty close, but not all the way.

I knew Justin from an internet message board.  He attends the church.  When he found out Ron and I needed a ride, he was happy to step up.

So, every Sunday, he comes to get us.  He's a good man.  I like him because he teases Ron; exactly what Ron needs.

I also like him because he shares many, many of my beliefs.  This is not a love letter to Justin.

While talking to him today, he just looked at me as I discussed, with eager anticipation, my upcoming handout in Acres Homes.  I just have an itch to go there.  We did our last handout in Acres Homes, and we both had a good time (except for eating some bad BBQ after - it was very fatty).

He said something along the lines of "Wow, you really want to do this" and I basically replied I am called to it.  I am hard pressed to think of any statement that says "I need a medication tune up", more than "I am called to go ___"  I get it; I understand what it sounds like.

I'm still called to do it.  Ron wants to do our usual handout sometime this week, going to the corner in the "better" area and handing them out on the median.  I'm happy to go, it's always a productive handout.

I want to move my Bibles; I don't want a big stack with dust on the boxes.  I want a low inventory and a lot of happy recipients.

A lot of Christians don't even understand: God commands us to reach out.

I'm going to use links:
Mark 16:15  Jesus tells us to preach the gospel
Matthew 28:19-20  Jesus tells us to preach the gospel
Romans 10:13-15 - commissioned to preach the gospel
I Corinthians 9:16 - I have to preach the gospel.
Jeremiah 20:9  - I have to preach the gospel.  (I should add, here, I don't do any preaching, but I do share my story, and Ron's, and what God has done for us).

An interesting note, when God called the Old Testament patriarchs and prophets, they all said the same thing: Here I am.  Genesis 22:11 Samuel 3:4Isaiah 6:8.  Those are just my favorites.

So, I'm not alone here - other people get the same itch.  Other people are called.  In fact, I believe all Christians are "called".

Someone, recently, said "Evangelism is something you do, Heather."  I thought that was alarming, and very sad.

I think I've effectively "proven" God calls all of us to "work".  I am just a field hand, working to bring in the harvest.  Matthew 9:36-38  No more than a field hand.  I don't want a title.  I don't want a t-shirt (although I do toy with the idea of a custom-made "Free Bibles" baseball cap in purple).  I don't want recognition, or acclaim.  I just want to share Him.

God has done so much for me, carried me through so much.  I believe a part of that is so I could show who I am, in God.  Two verses come to mind:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+48:10&version=NKJV
Job 23:10

"Everyone" knows what an unsaved person would have done when Ron started with the drinking and verbal abuse, God used it to spark some pretty awesome Bible Handouts.  I saw it as my crucible: heating me up and burning off impurities in my soul; making me a stronger Christian.  I also prayed on it daily and asked God to guide me in my dealings with Ron.

None of that was me, that was God, working in me.  I aim to please God, my #1 job.  Not pleasing Ron, or myself, but God.  I think with that goal in mind, I'll do OK.

I don't kid myself, either.  My trials are not over, not by a long shot.  Ron's planning to buy a 2 liter bottle of whiskey, and use a funnel (by himself) to fill up the 200 ml bottles, then drink "off" them.  I think it's awful, but it's a choice Ron has to make for himself.

I just ask God to give me a strong back, for whatever comes.

No comments: