Monday, September 3, 2012

"Big Deal"

As I washed my feet in the shower, I thought "It's a good thing Ron didn't get his sight back when I was mowing the yard."

Imagine this, an overweight woman, hair clipped up, wearing an ankle-length, turquoise and lime green plaid, seersucker house coat; mowing a yard.  I'm sure I was a sight.  Happily I only needed to do the back yard, with the privacy fence all around.

I couldn't find my yard work shorts, they were in the wash, and I didn't want to get my "good" shorts sweaty.  I do enough laundry as it is, and I had to wash the housecoat anyway.

Gabby the kitten was a little upset at my mowing, but, when I left the yard, was curled up under her bush.  I could see a cute little tiger-striped "chicken" leg, sticking out, in a very relaxed position.  She's adorable.  She hasn't let us pet her yet, but hey, times are dark and people are sick.  I wouldn't let a human pet me, either.  She is getting closer and closer, adores Bubba, and follows him like a child.

I did all my chores.  Yay.  I mowed the yard (I need to weed-whack front and back but that can wait another day or so), took my shower (needed it!), stripped the bed, washed the bedding, and moved the laundry along.

Ron doesn't want me cooking or using any heat-generating appliances during the daytime.  Understandable.  So, when I get up at 5 AM (most days) I dry the clothes.  I take them out and hang them before work.  Ron's clothes get draped over a chair in his room.  He is very particular about hanging them, so I told him "You can do it, so you do it".  He's happy to oblige.

I don't mind the ban on appliances.  It makes sense, even if it is a little inconvenient.  Our last electric bill was only $100.

One thing I don't understand.  Ron thinks it is a "big deal" - difficult for me, to push him in the wheelchair.  I keep telling him, have been telling him, for years, I don't mind.  I like pushing him in the wheelchair.  It is a lot easier to push him than it is to guide him.  When I guide him I have to help him balance and make sure he is walking straight.  When I'm pushing him I just avoid running him into things.

He always acts like "Oh, do you mind if we take the wheelchair?"  I always want to slap him upside the head.  "What have I said?"  I don't.  I just remind, him, AGAIN, it is not a big deal.

The other day, at the dollar store, in addition to getting a roaring attack of the stupids, I also got pretty dizzy (happens when the Haldol kicks in).  I was sure glad I had the wheelchair!  I could lean against it as needed.

I like having him in the wheelchair, because I have built in companionship.  I've said it a million times: my love language is "quality time".  It doesn't matter what it is spent doing, but time spent together is precious to me.

Speaking of precious, I may have picked up another sponsor.  That's always a little weird for me, people wanting to give me Bibles.  I will always take Bibles, but when someone wants to buy them the old pride pops up.  Then I look at our take-home, realize no way can I afford to buy quantities of Bibles on my own, and say "Here's the address".

I always figure, if someone's really out to "get" me they will find me anyway.  A few years ago, someone demonstrated how easy it is to find someone's real life information, online.  I had a hard time sleeping for a few days!

1 comment:

icebear said...

i hate halidol. i'm on it too. it makes my fingertips itch.