Saturday, September 22, 2012

Another story:

Here's what my brother said on Facebook:

"Friday about 5:25 pm ....well I got within about 2 miles of me Niece’s wedding in Ponte Vedra Beach... I was by 895 Palm Valley road ....when a dark blue Nissan sports-car of some verities, pasted me too close, clipped me , & sent me on the shoulder in gravel.... ass over shoulder blades.... Bike not drivable, broke off shifter, bent handle bars, road rash on left side...(note to self can fix all of this once I get it home 207.9 miles away)....a person from Virginia (Thank you) stopped (the blue car did not) let me use his cell phone to call me Sister Susan (who's already at wedding) told her what happened ......five minutes later I flagged down an off duty St Johns Dep. (named Chris ,on his way to gym) who helped me, told me he'd call it in, not too worry he'd tell on duty Dep's not to "red tag" the bike that I was coming back to bike ... & gave me a ride to the wedding, so I wouldn't miss it! (THANK YOU Sergeant Chris !) Well ya should'a seen t

he looks I got pulling up to wedding in a Sheriff’s car getting out in my leathers caring my back-pack gear.... went up stairs, found a bath room, cleaned me self up changed close, & went outside to watch me Niece Sarah, get Married, let me tell ya it was beautiful ! later during the Reception; Susan let me use her cell phone & I called my adopted brother Chris P in Havana (I adopted him, we've been friends many years) , he drove all the way (___ miles & back) with a trailer on pick-up to bring me home... I Love my Friends! old & new! 


Well my Niece Pricilla & little Sister Heather drove me back to my bike after the Reception around 12:35 am; when we pulled up to it (my bike) at 895 Palm Valley rd.(an Episcopal Church drive way.)... her car died ..battery weak.....they sat there till I flaged down 2 nice fellows in a Mercedes SUV, sorry didn't get their names, they gave my Niece a jump, so they got on their way safely. I continued to wait for Chris at the bike, kind’a middle of nowhere but not far from somewhere... about 2:30 or so guessing no watch, a bear was thrashing around the woods across the street, I shined my light on him/her, it froze gave me that what are U doin' in my turf look,I made friends with da bear & it decided not to ingage w/ me.... an hour or so later Chris showed up w/ trailer, we loaded up me bike & went home...another ___ miles....got here at around 7:00am sat.....I love my Friends!"

So, there we are, by the side of the road.  Cole's got his bike.  He's happy, he was worried sick about her.  He built her himself.  

I felt bad leaving him out alone in the rain, to wait on his friend, but I know he can take care of himself.  We tried to find him an umbrella, but didn't.  The car was packed full of wedding things.  

Priscilla turned the key.  It won't start.  Cole says he can get it going, if we can find another car to jump us.  

It's very dark, a country road, and woods on either side.  I can hear something moving in the woods across the street - Cole's bear, I guess.  

To make things even better, it started to rain.  And I have to urinate.  I'm about to die.  I'm wearing my pretty blue flowered dress and sandals, in the wild country, next to a driveway for an Episcopal church.  Interestingly enough, my mother was Episcopal.  I put on my sneakers.   I felt very naked with exposed feet.  

When the rain stopped, I started singing "Get ready, 'cause here I come" and went outside.  I had Cole check the bank of the ditch, turn his back, and I emptied my bladder.  I kept envisioning something quick, nasty, and hungry making a bite for my privates.  I hurried.  

I have my backpack, I always do.  I was glad I had my flashlight (dead batteries, though), matches, and a lot of beef sticks.  We'll be OK, and I know Cole can handle anything that comes along.  

I prayed over the car, but no joy.  I prayed for God's will, if He didn't mind, to fix the car, because I always want to be in his will.  We try to flag a car or two, but they are very infrequent, going very fast, and don't want to stop for us.  

I want to be in God's will, even if it means being alone in the dark, on my birthday, by the side of the road in Ponte Vedro, Florida, with my eccentric brother, my wonderful, nice, a broken motorcycle, and a dead car.  

Finally, someone stopped.  My niece has seen me in action all week.  She looks at me, "Do it, Heather!" and I gave the Samaritan a Bible.  He took it.  He seemed touched, delighted, and eager, all at once, and I found it so apparent: This is why it happened.  So "John" could get his Bible.  

He only stopped because he had seen the broken down motorcycle earlier.  

Thank You for using me, Lord.  

I am operating on about 4 hours of sleep so I'm going to bed.  

No comments: