Monday, September 24, 2012

I'm glad I have my backpack.

As I stood by the side of the dark and deserted road, at 1 AM, I experienced something.  Vindication.

Why?  After all, I was stuck in the middle of nowhere, in the dark, in the rain, with no immediate hope of rescue.

I had my backpack.

I also had my brother, who had multiple knives, a camping setup, flashlights, and the willingness and ability to fix the car and deal with any problems that might arise.

Even if I'd been alone, though, I would have been alright.  I had a flashlight.

Why is a flashlight such a big deal?  Well, when I have to pee in a ditch, in the middle of the night, by the side of the road, in Florida, I'd REALLY like to know there aren't any snakes or gators around!  Thanks to the flashlight, I could verify it was safe before starting my business.

I was also glad I'd brought my sneakers - it was nice to change out of my sandals before stepping out of the car.  I had matches if we needed to start a fire.

If I got hungry, I had beef sticks in my backpack.  I also had my prescriptions, headache, and allergy medicine.  I didn't need them, of course, but it was nice to know I had them.

So what it it took hours for rescue?  We had food to eat, bottled water, soda, and shelter in the car.  I had Bibles to give our rescuer (which I did).  I had a small amount of cash if we'd needed to purchase something.

I had my waterproof Bible, and the flashlight to read it.

Sometimes people give me a hard time about my backpack, but I was so glad I had it.  Vindication.  Now, if someone gives me a hard time, I can tell them:  When things hit the fan, I'm glad I have my backpack.  


No comments: