Thursday, September 27, 2012

I want it to stick!

I've been plagued with some nasty headaches lately.  Pretty much everyday, on my scale, a "Bad headache" to "Migraine" (basically mid-range).

I don't think it's triggered by coming home.  It could be any number of things, but I will be sitting down at the blood pressure checker at work tomorrow.

You can find my post "The Galveston Bladder Infection" - it seems that every time I go on vacation, I bring home a bladder infection, which is ironic because I didn't get lucky on any of them.  Can a woman get lucky?  I don't know... but it was a hassle, expensive ($100 per), and painful.

Praise God, this time I managed to whack it.  I drank a lot of water, very careful, and took my herbal things.

Why?  I'm not sure.  I can only guess I'm more rushed in the bathroom, with less bathroom access, and maybe less fluid intake.

My, I'm positive.  I'm also cycling depressed.  I'm just thanking God I did not while on vacation - oh, that would have been dreadful.

More so, because I bought "expensive" family heirlooms, to my nieces, as gifts.  Expensive for me, the most valuable things I own.  One, a set of silverware.  I almost had a heart attack when I saw the estimate for that.  My older niece loves it; and she can use it for entertaining, which I never do.  I felt very good giving it to her.

I gave my younger niece the pearls my mother gave me.  I never have an opportunity to wear them.  My church is very casual, and I don't go to dress-up events.  Even if I do, I have a nice strand of black freshwater pearls I bought myself back in the late 90's, I think.

My mother gave me a set of classic round pearls, cream colored, very lovely, with a gold clasp.  They cost far more than "my" pearls.  I can talk about them now because they are gone.

I figured, accurately, I think, that my older sister would give her pearls to her oldest daughter.  I don't have kids, so I thought it would be appropriate to give "mine" to the younger (24) daughter.  She loved them.  She's the closest thing I have to a daughter, and I wanted her to have them.

Now, imagine my poor sister, watching me give all this away, while depressed.  That is a huge red flag for a suicide risk - giving away "treasures".

Me?  I'm delighted I gave them away, to lovely young women who will enjoy, admire, appreciate, and use them.  I think I live a pretty boring life.

I know, nothing boring about the evangelism or Bible Handouts, but other than that, I'm "boring"?  Maybe?  Opinions welcome.

So, I'm glad I did it.  It was a little nervy getting them shipped.

For the rehearsal dinner, I wore a black gauzy dress with batwing sleeves, my black pearls, and some Revlon color stay lipgloss in a deep berry color.  Everyone said I looked cute.

For the wedding, I wore an amethyst chip necklace, to match the purple in my predominately blue, gauzy, water-color type dress; along with some Revlon Colorstay lipstick in Endless Mauve.  I do love that lipstick, when I wear lipstick I want it to STICK.

Everyone said I looked nice, and my sister helped me put my hair in a bun.  Nice and appropriate.

Then, my brother showed up.  He wore a polo short and his "nice" black jeans.  He looked good, I thought.  By most standards he was underdressed but the bride was thrilled to see him, and said anyone who had a problem with his attire could just deal.

It was fun for me, because my brother took one look at me, said "Amethyst, I KNEW it!" and pulled out a necklace he made me with amethyst beads!  I turned my chip necklace into a bracelet, by looping it over my wrist a few times, and donned my new necklace.  I love it.

It is not expensive, in the traditional sense, but my brother made it for me.  He picked out the beads and strung them together, wondering if I'd like it.  That means more to me than a trunk full of diamonds.

I had VERY little contact with my brother, so it's good to know he cares.  I had a lot of fun hanging out with him.

I just wish I could lick these headaches.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

Just a thought...I know you like diet pop (me too), and are watching the carbs (I should be), but I've heard some horrible things about Nutrasweet. I know it bothers some folks, and perhaps not everyone, but it has been linked to certain neurological problems. I'm having an issue myself. If I don't have a pop for say a day or so, I wake up with a horrible headache. I use to think it was due to not having the caffeine (and it could also be a culprit), but I'm wondering if it's the sweetner in the pop and I have an addiction to it.. Just a thought and maybe you've already researched this.

Glad you had a good trip and got home safely. Take care and God bless!

Jillian Wheeler said...

OOOH..Bladder infections. I used to get those often.

Do you drink a lot of water? That helps. Also..cranberry juice! Or taking cranberry pills from the health food store. Make sure with the pharmacy they don't interact wtih your meds, but they shouldn't.