Thursday, August 27, 2020

Thursday

 I slept pretty well considering a huge hurricane, a Cat 4 at that, was making landfall just a couple hundred miles away.  We did not have any weather out of it as far as I could tell and the ground was dry outside this morning.  

I got up, took care of Ron.  I find it encouraging he asks about his seizure pill, is it time?  Have I already had it?  Etc.  So many patients really fight the medication which is the worst thing you can do.  He is very compliant and even takes vitamins with it.  

I have him on: 

AM:Seizure pill, blood pressure med, multi with iron (his is low), 500 mg Vitamin C, Naproxen (prescription 500 mg)

PM: Seizure pill, Naproxen, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (400 mg).  That's it.  He is very good about taking it all and I feel good about it, I think that covers all the bases as well as I can on minimal doses.  

Just for fun I will tell you what I take, in case you were curious (you can always scroll).  

Morning: Ginger root capsule, 2 Wild Yam (herb) capsules, one Dong Quai, multivitamin, 150 mg Wellbutrin.  

Evening: Lithium, Depakote, Risperdal (bipolar meds), ginger root, Vitamin A (I get boils if I don't).  

That's it.  I donated one of my pills of the week organizers to Ron because he had enough meds going he needed them.  And God knows I do NOT want to screw this up with everyone watching, and you have to be, as far as I know, VERY careful with seizure meds dosing.  It wouldn't be a good idea to miss the blood pressure pill, either, or a pain pill for that matter.  

But Ron's pain is OK on this, I asked him today and he was fine.  I would like another pills of the week for me but it can wait.  I think he just (I am not an expert by any means) needs something for the breakthrough pain on Really Bad days.  But I am not an expert.  

So I got up and put everything back in the yard (3 trash cans, 2 chairs).  I had it in the garage with the door shut.  After I took care of Ron of course.  Pretty quiet morning.  

I am hoping I can find a ministry headed out to the damaged area, that would like some Bibles to distribute.  Sometimes people seek God in really bad times, and are more likely to take a Bible from someone actually helping them (food, storm cleanup).  And a lot of churches, happily, do that.  So if I can help that would rock.  

We will see, if God wants it to happen it will.  But I would like to get the Bibles into hands and off the shelf.  

Ron has slept most of the day, he was pretty distraught this morning hearing about the storm damage in Louisiana.  He has a very tender heart at times and was really broken up.  I told him I am trying to get some Bibles to them and that helped calm him down.  He just hates to hear about people suffering.  After that he has slept except for asking me if it was pill time.  

He did tell me he didn't like me waking him up with food, so I tell him it is pill time and he wakes up, then I give him the food and medication.  He is very good about that; he doesn't want another seizure.  He really felt like crap after he had 4 in one night... I mean he didn't sleep and he thrashed around so hard he pulled most of his muscles.  Plus groggy the next day.  Not any fun for him at all.  

Not any fun for me, either. So I am reducing his alcohol intake, he is down to about half of what he was doing, which was still a lot.  No bottle next to the bed.  He gets portioned amounts.  It is not ideal but it's what we worked out.  

He accepts it, he isn't stupid, he knows any other option is going to dry him out entirely.  There is a line in the Bible about "wine for the perishing".  So I do think of that.  His life sucks pretty bad.  He's blind, he can't even use the toilet - he has to use the plastic one I put next to the bed, etc.  He needs help with virtually everything.  

Now, in a pinch, I think he could do for himself somewhat but I'm not going to put him to the test.  For instance, he has snacks next to his bed, and drinks.  He would be OK for days on those if he didn't have to worry about the seizure pills.  I am still trying to figure out a way for him to do the seizure pill if I can't make it home for some reason.  

He isn't having blackouts any more so it would be safe to put a couple tablets next to his bed somehow... I just need to figure that out.  But I keep going back to, if I am hurt, I will need the hospital social worker ASAP so they could do an emergency placement on Ron.  

The cats are good.  Do you know I never pick them up?  I bend over and pet them, they get on me when I'm sitting, or they get on me when I am laying in bed.  That is it.  And they get lots of petting.  I like it when they get on me in bed, that is my favorite, and Spotty and Cleo are very good about that.  I think it is better to put affection in their paws and not force it.  That's akin to rape in my book, and I don't want a struggling animal trying to get away anyway.  That's how I do it at any rate.  

Ron is in bed most of the time so they just climb up next to him and head-butt him for pats.  Torbie and Baby Girl mainly but Spotty and Biscuit do get up.  Cleo is scared of Ron's room, I suspect Baby Girl beat her up and chased her off.  

So the cats are good, that's nice.  Ron had said something about going to work tomorrow, and it would not be a long day for me anyway, so I made paratransit trips.  I will ask later tonight and if he doesn't want to go I can cancel and take a Uber.  

Since I am a Platinum level (laugh) they let me get extra points on any one route, so I picked work/home.  I do that a lot.  Jack can help some times but not always, he is an entrepreneur and always has a side hustle going - I admire that.  He is not a hustler but he is always looking.  

Oh, Spotty, using the litter box right next to my chair... pretty potent.  He was tested for infection and worms but his poop is just more potent than the other cats'.  That is fine he is still a sweet boy.  Half the time Biscuit does not clean his butt and I still love him, stinky poops are not a deal killer.  

The only problem I love scents and Ron can't stand them.  He was even agitated at the doctor's office when I washed my hands at their sink and the soap was very strongly scented.  So no plug in or spray for me.  Cats are very sensitive to smell and I wouldn't want plug ins anyway I would worry it was upsetting to them.  So I just let it dissipate and scoop frequently.  

I do still use nicely scented soaps, those are always fun.  I still have some of the Wildflower soap I was given for Christmas.  That's nice, and I have some other stuff too.  Walmart has the Dr Bronners peppermint or lavender soaps.  And Swanson Vitamin has some VERY nice soaps for very reasonable prices.  I am getting supplements anyway, it is very easy to throw a bar of something in the order.  

Between us I am really glad Ron is taking the multi and some extra C every day, especially as he goes out more. I feel much better about doing that, knowing I have done what I can for his immunity.  He NEVER eats sugar (he will rarely have a Coke or some pineapple juice) which is also awesome.  

That takes a load off, as he HAD been VERY resistant to taking any sort of supplement.  I would rather he drink a couple bottles of water every day, but I am mostly satisfied with his progress.  

I need to figure out dinner.  Ron has spaghettios he has been on a real kick (the rings, with meatballs).  So what am I having?  Don't know, battling some depression so I need brain food but what?  

If I did win the lotto I would hire a personal chef to deliver meals to me a few times a week.  A nice medium steak, a chef salad, you get the idea.  Also an organizer to help me.  Things are pretty reasonable in the house but I can always use help.  Get Ron's room "done up" he doesn't care he has holes in his drywall and a horrible carpet but I do, but we agree we are not spending the very last of our savings on a remodel when we may need it for expenses.  He can go in this room for years, no problem, and I will say it made things super easy for the plumber when he did the shower fixture.  He could work easily because it was already exposed.  Actually (laugh) he took a little MORE drywall but what's another square foot?  

Eventually though we will get it.  I am not looking forward to it because I will need to clear his room.  Ugh that will suck moving his bed.  I am trying not to put anything in the orange room because that's where I'll move him for the remodel, then put him back.  

I will paint the room a bright turquoise with white accents.  Same floors as I have in the other 2 rooms "Bourbon Barrel" room color "Fiji" by Behr (use the good paint in a semi gloss for easy cleaning).  Get him a little white dresser (3 drawer), and ideally some black or turquoise sheets.  The bookcase works for him so I would just keep it.  

I have it all in my head but I have to be careful with money.  Now, if someone wants to come in and do it, for free, great.  I would accept.  But that is not likely.  

I would be a little leery of having an amateur do the flooring, for instance.  Especially considering what I will pay for it!  I am pretty thrifty in most aspects.  

I think I will do macaroni and beef for dinner tonight, that sounds the most appetizing.  

No comments: